Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

house is flooding, right now

boulder has been seeing some incredible rain in the past few days. In the past 3 days, I don't think that the rain has stopped for any longer than about 15 minutes. Tonight the rain got extremely heavy.

water started seeping through the floorboards all around the house (I live on the ground level)

I tried to stop the water with towels, but I would need about 1000 towels to get the water to stop flowing into the house. Right now there is about an inch or two of standing water everywhere in the house. I already moved everything valuable or damageable on top of the tables and counter tops. I dont really think there is anything else that i can do besides drink beer and watch the devastation?

what about electric wiring? all of the plugs in my house are about 6 inches from the water level right now. do I need to start unplugging things? I really dont want to turn off the freezer & tv unless i have to.

this really fucking sucks. i spent several thousand dollars installing new hardwood floors last january. now they are under about 2 inches of water.

Turn off the power? Save what you can? Head to a hotel? sorry brah, sucks. Its eased up over here in Golden.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

thats what I was asking. Do i need to be worried about the electricity? like I said, all of the plugs, etc, are at least 5 or 6 inches from water level right now, and I really dont want to kill the power unless I have to...

Fuck, that sucks.

+++vibes+++

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Turn off the main power switch at the fuse box then go buy a pump and wet/dry vac at McGukins's in the morning.

Do you have flood insurance? Don't forget some fans if you are DIY on cleanup.

7" of rain in a day....in Co....that's no joke.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

What ever you do, you should not be walking around trying to unplug electrical appliances that are connected to live circuits while standing in a pool of flood water. Kill the main breaker as stated.

Last night was crazy. Sorry to hear, WTF. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    What ever you do, you should not be walking around trying to unplug electrical appliances that are connected to live circuits while standing in a pool of flood water. Kill the main breaker as stated.
    What he said, hope the main panel isn't in a room filled with water.

Where in Boulder do you live?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    This. Had two deaths occur in a flood where I grew up where the deceased were doing exactly this.
    I still call it The Jake.

Damn. Whats below you? Basement...Crawl space more likely. Sounds like you need to pump that out. Take a bunch of pics for your claim. ( hope your covered). Floors can be tough. Squeegee the floor asap. Buy or rent a barrel fans and blast the floors. If they don't warp/buckle then you may be ok. We lost our 160 year old wide pine floors a couple of years ago. Bummer. Feel for you bro....

Ouch. Can't believe the amount of rain here. Make sure your pilot light hasn't gone out...

Thats why its called a money pit. Hope u got a good insurance agent brah.

UMMMM, sell as lake front property?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Sorry to hear about this. The rain does suck.

and what about the resale value?!?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Call your insurance agent and get on the list for visits from a claims adjuster and a insurance restoration company. If the flooding is from runoff your homeowners policy may cover the loss. Flood insurance is only required in floodplains, and only covers flooding caused by a rising waterway.

Our fully finished basement flooded a couple of months ago. We mitigated the damage the best we could, but the restoration guys came in with what was basically a truck-based shop vac and sucked it dry, then removed the wet Trim, drywall and insulation. They sprayed a mold killer and left a couple of industrial strength dehumidifiers to finish drying out everything. The restoration included new carpet / pad, our only out of pocket was the deductible.

FWIW I did excactly what is talked about here, unplugged a computer in 2ft of water and walked it up the stairs. going up the stairs it occurred to me that was pretty stupid to do.

Our fist house / finished basement flooded twice in three years, 2.5 ft. each time. Sure you know if you don't have a seperate flood policy ur fuckt. We had flood insurance but it was an increible pain the ass to deal with. Still doubled our money on the house in 6 years.
    "Can't you see..."

Sorry for your troubles, and it looks like the situation has possibly gotten worse overnight, and more rain in the forecast. We dispatched our swiftwater team to assist in Boulder this morning.

9News has been running live feeds of flooding, damage, and trapped parties all morning. I get that the flooding impacts a lot of people, and presents a real danger, but I'm still detecting a sort of "feed the morbidly curious gawker" vibe from the non-stop coverage. How 'bout you put the camera down for a minute and help some folks out, instead of trying to capitalize on other people's crises?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post

9News has been running live feeds of flooding, damage, and trapped parties all morning. I get that the flooding impacts a lot of people, and presents a real danger, but I'm still detecting a sort of "feed the morbidly curious gawker" vibe from the non-stop coverage. How 'bout you put the camera down for a minute and help some folks out, instead of trying to capitalize on other people's crises?
    Funny, as I find their feeds and coverage pretty helpful because there are a LOT of people affected and it's good to know what's going on. You do realize this is one of the worst disasters in this area in the last 25 years, right? And it could get a lot worse...

sorry to hear about the flooding.... if you need a truck to move stuff... send a pm

real bad right now in lyons.....

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...heriff-reports

FYI - Everyone is sold out of Wet Vacs in Boulder.

Looks like the rain is still hammering SW CO.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Funny, as I find their feeds and coverage pretty helpful because there are a LOT of people affected and it's good to know what's going on. You do realize this is one of the worst disasters in this area in the last 25 years, right? And it could get a lot worse...
    I do. I just don't see how dispatching a camera crew helps matters. Posting business, school, and road closures is certainly helpful, as well as possibly providing evacuation and safety advisories, but all that seems to be secondary to the gawking. It just seems like overkill after a while, and makes me wonder who really benefits from all the coverage?
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.