Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Dyna TLT6

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    Where do you get your rivets repressed?
    The Sports Loft (http://www.thesportloft.com/) in Utah has the expertise and the tools to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    I’ve had the rivets repressed twice, and after each repressing they are just fine for another season.
    Mine were really loose, with lots of side-to-side wobble, at the end of last season but after having them re-pressed they were as good as new.

There's speculation that the carbon performance version of the boots become ovalized around the pivot over time but what may be happening instead is that because the carbon cuff is stiffer it's placing more torque on the rivets causing them to become loose.

The tech who did the repair on my boots said that they've taken apart a lot of TLT5s and it's almost always the rivets and not the cuff that's the problem. Given the high mileage boots like yours are seeing while still being repairable/maintainable, the premise that it's the rivets (as opposed to a cuff being slowly ground to carbon dust) would seem to make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher
    As a ski patroller I have been in TLT5 for ~four days a week--two work days, two days off--while being in alpine boots the other three days, for the last two seasons, and anticipate getting another couple months of full time skiing out of mine before going to whatever i need next.
    Great testiment to their durability. Much appreciated.

Am I to understand this is the cuff hinge rivet, if so is there a better fix?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Am I to understand this is the cuff hinge rivet, if so is there a better fix?
    Yes, that rivet.
    It was modified for the 2012-13 season -- very hard to notice unless you look at the rivet kind of in a cross sectional view.
    But I don't know anyone who has enough vertical on them to provide any feedback on how much of a difference the new rivet design makes.
    Otherwise, once-a-year repressing seems to work fine.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

don't know if it would be the same but the fix for garmont endorphin hinge rivets that always blow out is a chain ring bolt
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

thought this interesting from Dynafit and WS this morning. My bold highlight. Too much bitching about Palau liners I suspect. Now we don't get an option.

"-the TLT6s are available in North America with only the CR liner. They are the best for this market, warmer, more downhill oriented, adeguately thermo customizable (in the mean time it's not compulsory to thermo form them,

- The fit of the liners is now done without footbed. In this way the skier can adapt the personal anatomy on the soft bottom layer of the liner. This layer changes thickness between the full and half size

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    "-the TLT6s are available in North America with only the CR liner. They are the best for this market, warmer, more downhill oriented, adeguately thermo customizable"
    This quote drips of euro-condescension. Reminds me of when Federico insisted that the TLT5 was perfect and that they'd never remove the flex zone because it's so great for climbing and doesn't affect downhill performance.
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

Bean, agreed.

I find it really interesting that Dynafit (at least in my version of events) simply bailed on the "climbing boot performance" and decided to build a ski boot again. No question a very lwt and fun ski boot but not so innovative now and still $1000 retail. Seems like a rather subtle job of bait and switch economics to me. I still love both the TLT5 and 6 mind you but for differing reasons.

Ski boot or climbing boot? The economics there have to be similar to hardware and clothing....reference the original Patagonia and Black Diamond relationship and now BD is going for the gold as well with clothing.

The market base for a $1000 lwt ski boot compared to a $1000 climbing boot that skis ? (which the TLT almost was)

No matter how much I like the TLT6 and I do like it a lot.
    Hard not to look at the TLT6 and wonder what it so easily could have been.

What would you have done, aside from creating a One/Mercury/Vulcan? (honestly curious)

I think Dane's point is that the TLT5 was the only boot in its class--race boots don't ski well, anything else doesn't tour well if you've skied TLT5 or better--and with the tlt6 it seems dynafit has a less unique boot.

Chris has the gist of it. But there is more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What would you have done, aside from creating a One/Mercury/Vulcan? (honestly curious)
    Gotta realise where I am coming from. It aint skiing.
    My priority was/is a technical winter/ice/mixed climbing boot I could ski in. The TLT5 was the best thing we (climbers) have seen in decades and the best ski boot that climbs well on technical ground any of us have ever seen.

No question the TLT6 skis better...it was a gimme. No real effort there to enhance the technology IMO,
    Dynafit is resting on their laurels.

TLT 6 and the CR liner in the American market is the perfect example.They want to get reimbursed on some of that technology now. Fair enough. No more hassles or listening to the US skiers bitch about cold feet and a bad fit (in too small of shells) all the while skiing a rando race boot with fat heavy skis while riding a lift. It hardly makes sense to me and I do it. Makes no sense to the Euros if you have played some in both places.

Kinda hard to blame them very much. But it aint what I WANTED so I'll bitch'n now Even though I've bought three new pair of Dynafits before the season has even gotten started yet!

I have no interest in the Vulcan/Mercury. Although I ski in a ONE a good bit on lifts. Face it, ski boots are "easy". Lots of them. And lots of really good ones! Dynafit has just kept spinning the now OLD technology of the DyNA rando race boot into better and better down hill ski boots or offering a better price point. How hard is that!??. They all skin and walk well by comparison. But the bigger and heavier they get, they worse they climb in comparison to a real climbing boot. Even the original DyNA is better as a climbing/ski boot. Really a toss up between the MTN and the P version for a few reasons as to what boot was better in my world. So far for climbing the TLT5 has been the best overall of the DyNA/5 or 6 if I had to choose.

Dynafit has all the parts and the technology to build an incredible and very specific boot. The climbing community is small by comparison to the ski community world wide so I understand why they bailed on the project going forward as a "climbing" boot. Even the Rando community in Europe makes the alpine climbing community here look tiny. Here in NA we hardly have a Rando community yet. It is growning but it there really isn't one by comparison.....there wouldn't be any rando gear we didn''t get in NA if there really was a rando community here. Now we only get a small percentage of what is available for gear in Europe. And all of it way too expensive simply because the market base is so small to absorb the investment in technology.

Good on Dynafit for pumping the price of a ski boot up to an "acceptable $1000". I laughted at that first time i saw them at OR. Had to have a pair within a year !

Dynafit built an over whelming commercial hit with the TLT5 based on the DyNA. But it took the new 6 to make it a real commercial success I'd bet. Then Dynafit got by passed by /lambased with the Alien 1 in the race world. And climbers took note...but a $1800 ski boot? A $1800 climbing boot? You got to be chiting me! Ain't going to ever be a real commercial success. The Stratos Cube? May be even better but how durable and a shocking $2500. Of course i want a pair at 600g per boot. I am not sure Dynafit ever understood the DyNA/TLT5 series product outside the Rando race world to be honest. Certainly doesn't seem so. But they are running with the design...all the way to the bank. Instead of pushing the technology into something newer yet.

Ski a Maestrale/ RS/Freedom or a One/Vulcan/Mercury side by side and you'll better understand that comment of "easy" to make a decent ski boot.

The "easy" climbing boot I would have already built given the chance is just a composite of what has been done and parts/materials easily available at Dynafit. I suspect it is the boot many already want...I know I do and would have given my eye teeth for one in the past working on skis or in the mtns.

this is what I want:

TLT 5 with the toe bellows bottom made of Pebax for more durability, upper cuff made of Fiber glass and another inch higher in the front. I wantmore support there but no power strap. Stripped of all the faff. No power strap and no tongues. (of course everyone would bitch about that) A decent seal on the boot so you stay dry. A metal on metal ankle hinge rivet. Better set of buckels than the 6 has and less complicated. Something between a ONE (but only two buckles) and the DyNA. I'd move that second buckle location to better seat the heel...ala One...may be inbetween the two positions each boot uses.

That is a boot you could climb Grade 6 ice and M5/6 mixed easy enough. Ski any where I am capable of skiing with a decent ski width and be as light or lighter than what most of use use in winter climbing now. Lighter for sure than most any other ski boots, short of full on race gear. Best part? A reinforced Intuition style liner for skiing (to shut the US market up) and a Palau lwt liner for climbing. Buy one or both. Both heat modable of course. No required but I might work the rocker and toe some to better fit technical crampons Although the Grivel G20/22 work pretty dang good on the TLT5s. Every other crampon is rather ho-hum for fit.

I'd pay for that boot..in a heart beat.

For those that know the area..this is the boot you would take to Cham, do the high traverse off first bin on the Grand Montet and ski over to the base of les Droites. Run up the Ginat with G20s snapped on the same boot. With Dynafit Nanga Parbat ski and tech race bindings strapped on your back. Hit the breche and few raps later skis on and down before the last train heads back into town.

Likely your boot for the morning bomb run? Lifties boot to catch that secret stash of pow? Call it simply a MOUNTAIN boot.
    Last edited by Dane1; 09-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Love your take on it

I just weighed by 27.0 TLT5 and TLT6, including the tongues (stiff for the 6) and the various liners I have. The shells with tongues are within an ounce of each other. The 6 liners are almost 7 ounces heavier than the 5 liners. My Intuition Pro Tour liners fall in between the 6 and the 5 liners.

Dynafit website is finally updated:
    http://www.dynafit.com/product/shoes...performance-cl
    http://www.dynafit.com/product/shoes...performance-cr
    ... with the same 11-oz/pr CL vs CR differential that SnowInn.com listed, but given that all the measurements imply a small differential, and given all the other mistakes on the updated Dynafit website (e.g., CL listings cite "Liner TF Race" and CR listings cite "Liner Costum Light Women"), well, who knows.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    this is what I want:

Geez Dane - that's a extraordinarily specific set of demands with a market possibility closer to ten than to tens of thousands of units at retail.
    I think its time you did a Hoji and build your own perfect boot - didn't you say somewhere you just bought three new pairs - sounds like you have the parts

Really? You actually think there might be 10?

New boots? Two of the three are my wife's so they are worthless for chop/chop projects. May be next winter after the new crampon project.

I'd add to what Dane said: a better RoM in the bellows (think hybrid TTS w/TLT heels locked as needed for dicey steep stuff) and bellows lock-off mechanism a-la Salewa Pro Gaiter (when the going gets steep), AND easily replaceable (and properly lugged) Vibram sole. I'd sacrifice a few grams for that, but the gain will be longevity and versatility, right? After all, I expect my boots to last for four to five years...

Maybe they also need to offer pre-fitted supergaiter as an accessory for those needing more warmth....

BTW (judging from pictures only), I like the Scarpa Alien ski/walk mechanism better, besides no hole is needed in my pants for it to work.

And no I'm not gonna buy current overpriced offerings cause of durability issues and snow ingress.

Interesting nuance on this boot. It is the Euro only at this point, TLT6 Speed C-One. But other than the fiber glass cuff and lower privce point I figured it was the same old/ same o, TLT6. A closer inspection of the boot's upper cuff implies other wise. By the stitch lines it looks to be a different inner boot than what we have seen so far. Thought at first it was some sort of extended cuff.
    Any clues?

Last edited by Dane1; 09-19-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cipherpunks View Post
    I expect my boots to last for four to five years...
    Dream on

I'm going into season 4 on my TLT 5 Performance.

Sole boot, inbounds and out.

Exactly - 4-5 yrs if they sit in your closet mebbe

edit to add - or if you take good care of them like Mike Pow....
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

They look a whole lot better if nothing else Dane1

Can you make any sense of this?

en francais

http://www.approach-outdoor.com/chau...lt6-c-one.html

569 euros is much cheaper though

"TLT 6's mission is to further enhance the superb TLT5 range it replaces! The main contribution will be the quality of the shoe a little more universal on TLT6 (wider). New Thermo liner to enhance comfort and warmth. Feature of the TLT 6 C-ONE: an exclusive shoe combines the shell necklace and TLT6 Fibre Glass / Pébax"

But more important was the preceding

Product unavailable
    This product is no longer in stock
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Thanks and shit