Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Never had a separated shoulder but I dislocated my right one for 4 years, usually once to twice a week especially while skiing. Just had the screws put in this September, going on 4 weeks since the surgery now. I was told not to ski at all this season and would have to do physically therapy for 3 months.

I'm sure you'll be alright with your separated shoulder as long as you make it strong again and take er' easy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1385574_168654500007306_1661403550_n.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	143316  

Blew mine up just yesterday ripping 16" of "dust" on a stout raincrust in the backcountry accessed via the padded seats.

Hoping to all hope I'll be good to go in 3 weeks as I've got a multi-day backcountry yurt trip planned for then. Honestly hoping I'll be enough on the mend by next Tues. so I can continue biking to work like usual.

Pipedream, what grade was the separation? I self diagnosed one for myself a few years ago as a 2 and I was feeling good to go after a couple weeks. The weirdest thing that hurt mine after hitting a tree was wrestling around a full grocery cart. Good luck man.

Just found out i ripped one of the sutures out of the bone while going hard at PT to get ready for my trip to jackson in 3 weeks. This was after a grade 5. shit is terribly painful, no more skiing for me. Get an x-ray and see a good doc, they can identify the seriousness of it in a few seconds and if an MRI is warranted.

Jesus man. That sounds incredibly painful. I hope it's ok.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

AC separation grade 3 about 15 years ago. Fell on my side. Forgot about it until I saw this thread. Injury included fractured scapula and rotator cuff tear - severe pain from those. Don't know that the separation caused any trouble besides aching a little if I press the clavicle down (and worrying about an unfixed tear). Had a set of range of motion exercises I did several times a day initially. <-- Definitely do the ROM exercises, prevents adhesive capsulitis. By the time the scapula healed, 2 months, I didn't have much pain. Back to 99%, except the visible separation.

Ski, backpack, mountain bike, kayak, training for AK, all fine.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Since people can't seem to tell the difference between a shoulder separation and a dislocation, an ACL injury vs an MCL injury, etc, etc--I propose that threads in this forum be simply titled "upper body injury" or " lower body injury" like the NHL does, and leave it at that. Then anyone can feel free to comment about their totally unrelated injury without guilt.

Talking AC Shoulder sep grade 3 two weeks out

So just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, I had a R shoulder AC separation grade 3 two weeks ago. Saw the team doctor for the Angels Monday.

Grade 3's are recommended they heal naturally and see how much stability is in the shoulder. The deformity (bump) will never go away without surgery. The doc already told me to start rehab on it. I was in sling with almost no movement when I went to see him at the 2 wk mark and he took my arm and put it all the way above my head. To my surprise the stretch felt great.

Ok so I asked him similar question, can I ski on it come Thanksgiving (albeit that is 7 months away for me and he said yes for sure no problem). Except, lol, if I decide on surgery. He said if I choose surgery it will likely be a year before I am doing anything stressful with the arm.

From my research and what the doc said, after 6 months no surgery you will know how stable your shoulder is. There will always be clicking when the clavicle (collar bone) hits the acromion part of the shoulder. This will depend on the movement but it will always click. Right now, 2 wks out from the injury, I already feel better and the sloshy squishy feeling has turned to clicking already. The amount of bump is less (likely due to reduced swelling). But the instability is very bothersome. With rehab if this instability does not get better i will opt for the surgery.

GOOD NEWS - the doc told me that weather I get the surgery now or in a year, there will be no negative outcome. He said he uses cadaver tendon to rebuild the three torn tendons. While he does arthoscopy, he said in my case it would be a 2inch incision over the shoulder. Everyone I spoke to who had shoulders done have said it is the worst rehab in their lives. But, from my research and seeing youtubers who did it, the surgery puts you back to where you were originally. Make sure to get the cutting of 5-7mm of the clavicle (they hack saw off the extreme end) in order to make room and avoid future clicking. If you do not get it cut shorter, even with surgery it will click! Make sure to ask them to cut it shorter. God speed!

m54505

good for you

now get a real name and drop the m series license plate horse shit

muchas smoochas

M series JONG
    PM me your favorite stashes, I'll send you a pic of skidog's tits