Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Do you ski and have a separated shoulder?

I separated my shoulder a few weeks back (Grade 3). So far I feel pretty great, and I'm aware that the healing process is about 12 weeks (I feel perfectly fine unless I'm in a few positions). Assuming I keep getting better, I don't know that it's going to be a big problem in my day to day life.

I'm planning a big trip in Jan or Feb, and I'm wondering if the shoulder feels difficult after recovery (4-6 months from now) when you are in the snow, or if it hurts at all using poles.

Does anyone here ski with a grade 3 separated shoulder? Can you tell me if I should expect any difficulty?

Thanks,

Alex

I ski AND post in Gimp Central!

But seriously, I've separated both shoulders on multiple occasions (and dislocated 1x)...the last time 1.5yrs ago at Snowbird.

And, other than weird looking lumps where the shoulder has dropped, I don't really notice it.

Pretty sure you'll be fine.

(I stayed in my own shitty bed last night, so take what I say w/ a grain of salt)
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Works for me, thanks!

Agreed with Smartyiak - buddy of mine has a really mangled shoulder from football and has dislocated it three times when we've been skiing over the years - fortunately never when more than an hour from the trailhead and he's always been fine getting out under his own power (although we left his pack behind once). I'm pretty good at "re-locating" his shoulder in the field with the old boot-in-the-armpit method

my sholders are jacked from 50 years of skiing and climbing. i don't use pole when really bad. i have removed the straps from my poles. i have an instinctive chicken wing posture when i am falling. when you can do free weight training.

I dislocated while skiing for the first time last year, was about the 5th time for that shoulder, happened twice more between then and now. It's is so FUBAR it just goes back in with some fiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaag Master View Post
    my sholders are jacked from 50 years of skiing and climbing. i don't use pole when really bad. i have removed the straps from my poles. i have an instinctive chicken wing posture when i am falling. when you can do free weight training.
    Just for the reference, it isn't a dislocated shoulder.

Should sep refers to your collar bone ligaments being torn, and it looks like the clavicle is trying to get out through your shoulder. Thanks for all the replies

Thread drift- different injury from OP...

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    I dislocated while skiing for the first time last year, was about the 5th time for that shoulder, happened twice more between then and now. It's is so FUBAR it just goes back in with some fiddling.
    ... but, this sends chills down my spine. I used to be you. Dozens of dislocations in both shoulders from ages 22-27. Now I have terrible arthritis in my shoulders at age 37, nerve damage, and no range-of-motion. Done the surgery thing, but still
    Can't throw a baseball.
    Can't change a wet shirt.
    Can't sleep without numb hands.
    Can't sleep without rotating every hour.
    Can't swim.
    Can't paddle a surf board.
    Can't wait until should replacement surgery that will either involve prosthetic joints, 3D printed joints, or in-lab cell-created joints.

The medicine technology is coming.

People that don't think these injuries last forever are delusional, naive, or in denial. Choose one.

I still ski like a badass, though. No falling allowed. I haven't dislocated for 8 years (knock on wood) and I lift every day to keep my shoulder muscles tight and stable. That seems to be the best pain reliever out there. Aleve for the arthritis which is torture during cold low pressures.

Don't think casually about this injury. It gets worse after all that fiddling getting it back in. Old Man worse.

Got a grade 3 shoulder seperation 2 years ago around the first of September, had no problem skiing that winter

I had a grade 3 separation 4 weeks ago, but was mountain biking 2 weeks ago, and am planning a surf trip in 3 weeks. I went through the same injury (other shoulder) and recovery 10 years ago (it's been 100% since), and the key is to go hard on the rehab. With a grade 3 your ligaments are done anyway, so push it to the limit of pain to regain strength, and maintain full ROM.

Just had shoulder surgery for mine. If you are in the resort it's fine , in the bc it can be a different story. Mine would dislocate i would put it back in and keep skiing. my vote is ski this winter then just get it fixed.
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Ive separated both shoulders, your good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Ive separated both shoulders, your good to go
    Same here, keep your elbows in and ditch any pole straps or just put your hand in as far as the palm rather than the wrist.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

A separated shoulder is your AC joint. If you don't mind the "bump" on top of your shoulder and can deal with the pain then go for it. A dislocation is your glenohumeral joint and different story altogether. Just drink some whiskey, smoke a bowl and hit the mountain.

Sent from my HTC One mini using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by AlexPorter View Post
    I separated my shoulder a few weeks back (Grade 3). So far I feel pretty great, and I'm aware that the healing process is about 12 weeks (I feel perfectly fine unless I'm in a few positions). Assuming I keep getting better, I don't know that it's going to be a big problem in my day to day life.

I'm planning a big trip in Jan or Feb, and I'm wondering if the shoulder feels difficult after recovery (4-6 months from now) when you are in the snow, or if it hurts at all using poles.

Does anyone here ski with a grade 3 separated shoulder? Can you tell me if I should expect any difficulty?

Thanks,

Alex
    I skied 86 days with a torn labrum and a separated bicep. it hurt sometimes but im tough

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Thread drift- different injury from OP...... but, this sends chills down my spine. I used to be you. Dozens of dislocations in both shoulders from ages 22-27. Now I have terrible arthritis in my shoulders at age 37, nerve damage, and no range-of-motion. Done the surgery thing, but still
    Can't throw a baseball.
    Can't change a wet shirt.
    Can't sleep without numb hands.
    Can't sleep without rotating every hour.
    Can't swim.
    Can't paddle a surf board.
    Can't wait until should replacement surgery that will either involve prosthetic joints, 3D printed joints, or in-lab cell-created joints.

The medicine technology is coming.

People that don't think these injuries last forever are delusional, naive, or in denial. Choose one.

I still ski like a badass, though. No falling allowed. I haven't dislocated for 8 years (knock on wood) and I lift every day to keep my shoulder muscles tight and stable. That seems to be the best pain reliever out there. Aleve for the arthritis which is torture during cold low pressures.

Don't think casually about this injury. It gets worse after all that fiddling getting it back in. Old Man worse.
    Believe me I definitely know how serious it is. Just having it in the back of my mind while doing pretty much anything sucks, I'll only be turning 20 in about a month. As far as I can see it's only going to get worse from here on out. No nerve damage yet, as of now I'm looking at surgery next spring, do I say fuck it and wait for new tech. to come out?

I have dislocated both bad boys many times and have a separated left one. Lifting and Stretching help a little to strengthen the muscle around, but i know im going to pay for it later. I say ski, but then again that is just what i do.

[...]. As far as I can see it's only going to get worse from here on out. [...]
    You're right.

My 4th surgery (in about ~25 years) on my L shoulder was a laterjet procedure. It involves use of a bonesaw.

One important question for you is: do the motions typical in skiing put your arm in a position where it is likely to dislocate? This is dependent on how the first few traumas happened.

For example my zone of terror is with my arm over head about 45 degrees to the side. Prior to this last surgery, that is the position that preceded separations or dislocations. So skiing for me is not an issue (although I've given away most of my climbing gear).

The advice here is good -- strengthen the muscles in the shoulder and don't wear a strap. Consider not using a pole at all, I skied one season after a surgery with my arm strapped to my side under my coat and all was fine.

Good luck, and it's good you recognize this as the life changing injury it is.

I'm looking at surgery next spring, do I say fuck it and wait for new tech. to come out?
    I'd recommend getting surgery as soon a possible just to stop the in-and-out abuse that later results in arthritis.

Whether you go full open surgery or arthoscopic is up to you, but let's use modern language here: The surgery is to stop the abuse, not to fix your shoulder. The surgery will limit future dislocations and future damage, but that's it. It won't actually fix existing damage.

Later when the tech is here we can get our fixes. They were printing kidneys more than two years ago. Real shoulders (not just prosthetic) can't be too far off. Quite frankly, I'm excited about the fixes we are likely to see in the near future regarding biomedical engineering. But I don't think that's worth waiting for right now when you're 20. If you can prevent the arthritis I put up with now, you'll be pretty happy.

Just my .02

yeah, uh, good luck with that.
    don't slack on the pt.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    For example my zone of terror is with my arm over head about 45 degrees to the side. Prior to this last surgery, that is the position that preceded separations or dislocations. So skiing for me is not an issue (although I've given away most of my climbing gear).
    "Zone of terror," couldn't put it any better, I laughed. For me it's with my hand/forearm pointing outward, elbow around or below shoulder level, and backwards. So my shoulder exits forward. The one time it happened skiing was a pretty freak instance, pole straps are definitely a no go though.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I'd recommend getting surgery as soon a possible just to stop the in-and-out abuse that later results in arthritis.

Whether you go full open surgery or arthoscopic is up to you, but let's use modern language here: The surgery is to stop the abuse, not to fix your shoulder. The surgery will limit future dislocations and future damage, but that's it. It won't actually fix existing damage.
    Yep that's what the doc told me. Which is good at my current state, right now it's an inconvenience but I can deal with it, since I'm a lefty. But I'm really not looking forward to the PT. It's going to be arthroscopic so I suppose it shouldn't be as intensive as if it was open.
    Last edited by east or bust; 09-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.

This thread hits home, 2 separated shoulders, years of pain, rolling over constantly at night, waking up with numb hands. Maybe there is hope young Jedi. After years of strengthening my shoulder I can once again throw a baseball/football and I can serve a tennis ball again, though not like before the separation. But you better learn how to fall in the future.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Almost 1 week out from grade 3 right shoulder separation. Glad to see post in here like someone going mtn biking 2 weeks out. I don't think I'll be doing that but I am really glad to hear people did not have surgery and went skiing that winter. My doc is 60/40 on surgery. 60 for not doing it. I've already had surgery on this shoulder b4 and already couldn't sleep on it. So I'll deal with the disfiguration. Ready to hit the slopes and get back to 100%

Don't do the surgery! Worst medical decision of my life.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Considering I just fell on the stairs going up to my office and caught myself with my right hand which is connected to my bad shoulder and felt fine after a few select words I think I will not go for the surgery. Now I gotta see if I can get workers comp.. Wait FKNA I work from home.. Oh well... This work from home gig works well. Work in PJ's all hopped up on meds... And ski when I want...