Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Let's Play Reccomend me a front tire!

Running a 2.3 Maxxis Ardent XO on the back of my 26" Stumpy and I'm very happy with it (no sidewall blowups yet). My 2.3 Specialized Butcher Control up front... and it's BEAT. I've been letting it slide for too long and now that I'm getting some new wheels, I figured I should retire the dead dog up front.

Riding - 90% Denver front range trails: Mnt Falcon, Apex, etc (10-20 miles of steep up, ride the tops, DH down) - 10% longer XC oriented rides. I've liked the Butcher quite a bit - just thinking that going to something with a little beefier sidewall could avoid another situation where I'm trying to limp it home.

Don't particularly need to spend a ton of money - so budget minded is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    and the Canon 15-85mm lens...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

What smmokan said: Maxxis Minion DHF.

2.35? 60a vs 3C?

amazon prime for $42 looks like a winner.

I've run the Minion DHF for the last 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    2.35? 60a vs 3C?

amazon prime for $42 looks like a winner.
    if you has the 2.25 ardent back, looks for the 2.5 minion front. the 2.35 dhf is mucho smaller than a 2.25 ardent.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Yep. 2.5 DHF EXO.
    They also setup toobless very easily, if you're into that kinda thing.

New wheels, you say?

edit: actually I have a 2.35 DHF with full DH casing in the garage I'd let you have cheap-like, if interested.

Yeah, after quite a bit of searching I went with Fulcrum Red Power XL (26"). Not a ton of reviews out there, but they're light and stiff (supposedly) and what I saw I liked.... and $253 shipped from Blue Sky.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Yep. 2.5 DHF EXO.
    They also setup toobless very easily, if you're into that kinda thing.

New wheels, you say?

edit: actually I have a 2.35 DHF with full DH casing in the garage I'd let you have cheap-like, if interested.

I've been running a DHR II on the front lately and I dare say that I like it better than the DHF, at least in loam. No comment on how it does in front range kitty litter.

DHF, front and rear. I hate when the back tire drifts off the trail. If I need to tighten up the radius, I just lean a little more or tap the brakes.

The 2.5 is the same size as most 2.3s. Definitely go 2.5. The 2.35 is about a 2.1-2.25, as mentioned.

The DHR II (and HR II) is actually properly sized, like most newer Maxxis tires, so get the 2.35 for those ones.

What happened to your Slash?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    DHF, front and rear. I hate when the back tire drifts off the trail. If I need to tighten up the radius, I just lean a little more or tap the brakes.

The 2.5 is the same size as most 2.3s. Definitely go 2.5. The 2.35 is about a 2.1-2.25, as mentioned.

The DHR II (and HR II) is actually properly sized, like most newer Maxxis tires, so get the 2.35 for those ones.

What happened to your Slash?
    You must be mistaking my Specialized for a Trek!

Magic Mary, Rock Razor.

G5, G2.

DHF...Come on Maxxis give us a cut down fast rolling drifty rear tire with proper DH side knobs. (HR Semi Slick doesn't count as it's impossible to get)

Would grab the 2.4 spec purgatory Grid (2.4 last years tire it's a 2.3 or something this year) if I found it 2bliss. Got it last fall and moved to rear 2 months ago, great tire. Hard to say because I have had very bad experiences with 2 purgatory control's as rear tires in the last few weeks POS imho.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Still loving my BBG, front & rear. I did grab a DHF when pricepoint was blowing them out last week. Interested to see how they compare.

Seeing you ride
    DHF.

You must be mistaking my Specialized for a Trek!
    Wierd, had it stuck in my head you had a Slash. Now that tourist season is over you should come up to Summit for some rippin downhill. We can scare off the few that are left. Hah.

Adding my vote for the 2.5 DHF. I had a butcher control that lasted 3 rides. Giant sidewall gash. Obviously some pilot error, and maybe bad luck, but the DHF is much better anyway, IMO. And I would vote for the 3C for the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Would grab the 2.4 spec purgatory Grid (2.4 last years tire it's a 2.3 or something this year) if I found it 2bliss. Got it last fall and moved to rear 2 months ago, great tire. Hard to say because I have had very bad experiences with 2 purgatory control's as rear tires in the last few weeks POS imho.
    I'm running the 2.3 Purgatory Grids, and while I like them a lot, I wish they were a bit bigger. I liked the conti trail king/mountain king, but had to return two for defective casings, and the replacements weren't much better. Conti sizes were pretty inconsistent too, but their 2.4 is closer to a true 2.4 than the purgatory's 2.3 which IMO is closer to a 2.1.

The purgatory was easier to mount, and no casing imperfections. Harder sidewall compound than tread, and so far, grippy, burly, and good tread wear; just not as much cush as I was getting with the contis. Overall, seems like a better, and better made tire though. Purgs seem to carve better, where the contis drifted better, but handled more like a wet blanket, which isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I've been running a DHR II on the front lately and I dare say that I like it better than the DHF, at least in loam. No comment on how it does in front range kitty litter.
    honestly without woo-cutting it, it sucks on the front, in dry loose kitty litter. IMO YMMV, etc.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Yeah, after quite a bit of searching I went with Fulcrum Red Power XL (26"). Not a ton of reviews out there, but they're light and stiff (supposedly) and what I saw I liked.... and $253 shipped from Blue Sky.
    I've been running the Red Zone XLR on my Reign for a few month's now and I'm pretty happy with them. They're in Fulcrum's Enduro/Freeride lineup vs XC/All Mountain an surprisingly lighter than the Red Powers.

What axle are you running on the front? Out of the box I couldn't get my 15mm Fox axle to fit into the hub, I even tried 3 or 4 at my LBS and none of them would fit either. Strangely enough Rockshox 15mm axles fit fine. Took out the calipers and it looks like there is a bulge of a couple hundredths of a mm toward the center in all Fox axles, RS ones are the same diameter across the full length. I'm guessing Campy uses a bit tighter tolerences on the machining of their hubs so a Fox axle won't fit without modifcation. Minor sanding with some fine grit paper, just enough to get through the ano was enough to get it to fit.

Also, non wire bead DHF's are a bit of a pain to set up tubless on Fulcrum rims as well. Just make sure to set the bead with a tube first and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Guy View Post
    I've been running the Red Zone XLR on my Reign for a few month's now and I'm pretty happy with them. They're in Fulcrum's Enduro/Freeride lineup vs XC/All Mountain an surprisingly lighter than the Red Powers.

What axle are you running on the front? Out of the box I couldn't get my 15mm Fox axle to fit into the hub, I even tried 3 or 4 at my LBS and none of them would fit either. Strangely enough Rockshox 15mm axles fit fine. Took out the calipers and it looks like there is a bulge of a couple hundredths of a mm toward the center in all Fox axles, RS ones are the same diameter across the full length. I'm guessing Campy uses a bit tighter tolerences on the machining of their hubs so a Fox axle won't fit without modifcation. Minor sanding with some fine grit paper, just enough to get through the ano was enough to get it to fit.

Also, non wire bead DHF's are a bit of a pain to set up tubless on Fulcrum rims as well. Just make sure to set the bead with a tube first and you'll be good to go.
    I picked up smokan's 15mm thru axle Fox Float 32... which is what I'm hoping to get to work. Thanks for the input, if I need to take down the paint a c-hair I'll do that.

Pricepoint is moving the the minion dhf 2.5's for $35 (+$10 shipping), so I'm trying to get my cart full of discounted goodies so that shipping is worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    honestly without woo-cutting it, it sucks on the front, in dry loose kitty litter. IMO YMMV, etc.
    MMV. I rode one up front for everyday trail riding all summer (Park City zones) really with no complaint. For the weight, size and tread, it's a great tire...but as noted, not a good match with ardent 2.25 in back. That thing is tall.

Big ol' Pricepont sale happening.

DHF ordered. Thanks for the input amigos.