Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thinking of a trip next January. Anyone have recommendations for a house that could sleep 10+?

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    No real swell to speak of on this trip, but 4 days surfing waist high waves did the trick for me. Super fun.

My GF took a surf lesson with wildmex 1 day and was able to get up (with a push from the instructor) on a green wave 4 times. She was super stoked as well. It's so easy to want to keep going back to the area, but I think la saladita and zihua are next on my hitlist.

Can't wait to get down to SD several times this summer and get some more surfing in. The bug has bit (again)
    Glad you had fun!

My wife had surf lessons with Surfmex and had a blast. That area is fun even when the surf is small. Wildmex does have a great selection of boards to choose from.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone been down lately? I’m there this sun - sun. Is it still not possible to go direct via bus from sayulita to pt mita without connecting through bucerias? I’m generally carless (and careless). Looking like a long board is in my future…

thanks

Planning a trip for this winter. Can anyone confirm/deny the Norovirus concerns in Sayulita? I've heard they leak wastewater into the ocean and people have been getting sick.

Thinking I'd probably stay north in San Pancho. Any good surf walkable from town?

Thanks yall

I think the second part can be said about many rivers that dump into the ocean in MX?

What kind of surf are you looking for and why type of experience?

Sent from my Turbo 850 Flatbrimed Highhorse

Quote Originally Posted by goCougs View Post
    Planning a trip for this winter. Can anyone confirm/deny the Norovirus concerns in Sayulita? I've heard they leak wastewater into the ocean and people have been getting sick.

Thinking I'd probably stay north in San Pancho. Any good surf walkable from town?

Thanks yall
    I believe the sewage issue was resolved a few years back. They moved the sewage line further out into the ocean or something. But yeah, that's typical for MX.

Thanks yall
    Holy shit, I hadn’t heard about this, but we took the whole family to Sayulita last January and all 8 of us got violently ill with Norovirus. It hit various people at different times and we assumed it was food poisoning at first. I was lucky enough to have mine hit me in the airplane on the way back.

“Norovirus concerns” explains a lot.

Sayulita is kinda trashy and overcrowded, even by MX standards. We were there pre-covid and there were norovirus signs and hand washing/sanitizers stuff going on then. Not surprising that it is still that way. I never understood the draw, maybe it was cooler back in the day. There is decent surf though. I think I'd head to Punta Mita instead.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Holy shit, I hadn’t heard about this, but we took the whole family to Sayulita last January and all 8 of us got violently ill with Norovirus. It hit various people at different times and we assumed it was food poisoning at first. I was lucky enough to have mine hit me in the airplane on the way back.

“Norovirus concerns” explains a lot.
    Okay I'll be sure to book aisle seats on the way home

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I think the second part can be said about many rivers that dump into the ocean in MX?

What kind of surf are you looking for and why type of experience?

Walkable to surf would be nice, fun/chill longboard wave, good shops/restaurants for my non-surfing GF. Sayulita sounds perfect for the town & surf, but my GF getting sick would not be ideal.

Is there decent surf in san pancho?

I think you want to go to Encinitas not Mexico...or maybe Tamagringo.

Seriously, I'm out of my element. I really have no idea why people go to these relatively expensive dusty Beach towns to get white girl wasted and go to the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    I think you want to go to Encinitas not Mexico...or maybe Tamagringo.

Seriously, I'm out of my element. I really have no idea why people go to these relatively expensive dusty Beach towns to get white girl wasted and go to the mall.

We will be in San diego soon too! The allure for me is the 5 hour direct flight

I remember them power washing the streets with bleach pre covid. Signs and sanitizer everywhere.

Of course hand washing is more effective than sanitizer for norovirus...

You can google and fecal coliform counts for various beaches in the PV and Sayulita areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks yall
    Was in Sayulita for a week last February with a group of 20. We did have 1 in the group get sick, not sure what it was. The locals all suggest San Pancho if you’re looking for what Sayulita was 20 years ago.

Bumping this, lots of beta in here, wondering if anyone with experience in San Pancho/Sayulita have experience fly fishing?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Bumping this, lots of beta in here, wondering if anyone with experience in San Pancho/Sayulita have experience fly fishing?
    wrong forum jong

Thanks to everyone who shared beta. My GF and I had a great trip in Sayulita over thanksgiving. Some thoughts:

- The main break at Sayulita is really good. Probably the most consistent/best surf I've experienced outside of hawaii. Reminds me of C-Street/Rincon. It is crazy crowded however (30-50 people in the middle of the day competing for the main right). To get a good amount of waves you need to be pretty good and aggressive. I had more fun and got plenty of waves on the shorter left. The left is very shallow, so watch out for rocks/urchins.
    - The town of Sayulita is crazy busy. Loud music, lots of people, lots of traffic. Pretty awesome if you are trying to party, not awesome if you are looking for a relaxing evening.
    - San Pancho is dope. Laid back and artsy vibe. There is a shortboard wave there but didn't look amazing.
    - My GF was sending it on all kinds of mixed drinks, greens/veggies, etc and never got sick. I got a little sick but nothing major. Seems like all of the bars/restaurants use the same purified ice.
    - We stayed at a beach resort on the north side of town and had a great time. There is radical body surfing/boogie boarding everywhere along the beach.

I think Sayulita is a good spot for groups who don't need to be off the beaten path and can enjoy loud music/hectic vibes. We plan to go back and do a boat trip for surf or drive to La Lancha. If I didn't care about surfing I would stay in San Pancho 100%

I spent a week in Sayulita a few couple weeks ago and I had been there 8 yrs ago, I think its a little more dialed than 8 yrs ago,

I always pack some loperamines just in case but I never got sick on the food or the booze, I was careful to not drink the water

I found a good beach bar just the other side of the creek the club Isla that was not obnoxious had a good selection of 10 decent craft beers and a good play list, a downtown the Bar the Lucid made all drinks by from scratch and had a good play list

lots of cash machines everywhere and more places take plastic but don't count on it, the exchange was better but I think prices were higher than 8 yrs ago so maybe it cost more or maybe I was throwing money around like a drunken sailor ?

What i like is that Sayulita is not an all inclusive, its cheap n easy getting to Puerto Vallarta then to get to Sayulita i just walk over the highway, ride the municipal bus for an hr, no car needed
    Last edited by XXX-er; 12-05-2023 at 04:35 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Punta Mita / Sayulita surf, food and lodging beta please...

Thanks to everyone who shared beta. My GF and I had a great trip in Sayulita over thanksgiving. Some thoughts:

- The main break at Sayulita is really good. Probably the most consistent/best surf I've experienced outside of hawaii. Reminds me of C-Street/Rincon. It is crazy crowded however (30-50 people in the middle of the day competing for the main right). To get a good amount of waves you need to be pretty good and aggressive. I had more fun and got plenty of waves on the shorter left. The left is very shallow, so watch out for rocks/urchins.
    - The town of Sayulita is crazy busy. Loud music, lots of people, lots of traffic. Pretty awesome if you are trying to party, not awesome if you are looking for a relaxing evening.
    - San Pancho is dope. Laid back and artsy vibe. There is a shortboard wave there but didn't look amazing.
    - My GF was sending it on all kinds of mixed drinks, greens/veggies, etc and never got sick. I got a little sick but nothing major. Seems like all of the bars/restaurants use the same purified ice.
    - We stayed at a beach resort on the north side of town and had a great time. There is radical body surfing/boogie boarding everywhere along the beach.

I think Sayulita is a good spot for groups who don't need to be off the beaten path and can enjoy loud music/hectic vibes. We plan to go back and do a boat trip for surf or drive to La Lancha. If I didn't care about surfing I would stay in San Pancho 100%
    Have you surfed in the San Jose del Cabo of Baja area by chance? My girlfriend loves it there but I’m trying to get her to join me in the PV area. Maybe it’s better in whatever ways it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Have you surfed in the San Jose del Cabo of Baja area by chance? My girlfriend loves it there but I’m trying to get her to join me in the PV area. Maybe it’s better in whatever ways it could be.
    Is that Zippers? Never been

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I am pretty sure it only goes in the summer. Cerritos is awesome but about 1.5 hr drive.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Man, for anyone thinking of going, read the Sayulita subreddit first. Sounds like the sewer pipe washed back up on the beach and everyone in town is getting violently ill.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Man, for anyone thinking of going, read the Sayulita subreddit first. Sounds like the sewer pipe washed back up on the beach and everyone in town is getting violently ill.
    Saw that. Gnarly.

These up and coming Mexico hot spots can get overrun before the infrastructure catches up. Another Instagram victim.

I was there last nov and the first time maybe 8 yrs ago and i've heard back then about the beach

SO instead of going in the water at the beach in town I walk north around the point a half mile and there is almost nobody on that beach, still I would pack some loperamines just in case.

Both times I got cheap flights out of Calgary to/from Puerto Vallarta then walk across the freeway on the overpass, ride 1.5 hrs on the municipal bus I think it was $3 to Sayulita so super cheap n easy travel, early morning flight and there before dinner

the main beach is a zoo but if you hop the creek to the north there is a chill beach bar next to the creek with a pretty good play list and they serve 10 types of craft brew that are all pretty good,

the bar Lucid in town has good drinks and 2 big screens if you wana watch football

Lots of cash machines ever where and I think more places take plastic than 8 yrs ago
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I was there last nov and the first time maybe 8 yrs ago and i've heard back then about the beach

SO instead of going in the water at the beach in town I walk north around the point a half mile and there is almost nobody on that beach, still I would pack some loperamines just in case.

Both times I got cheap flights out of Calgary to/from Puerto Vallarta then walk across the freeway on the overpass, ride 1.5 hrs on the municipal bus I think it was $3 to Sayulita so super cheap n easy travel, early morning flight and there before dinner

the main beach is a zoo but if you hop the creek to the north there is a chill beach bar next to the creek with a pretty good play list and they serve 10 types of craft brew that are all pretty good,

the bar Lucid in town has good drinks and 2 big screens if you wana watch football

Lots of cash machines ever where and I think more places take plastic than 8 yrs ago
    Loperamines....lol. We're talking about Sapo/Norovirus here, that's like carrying a band aid for an arterial bleed. And you don't have to get in the turd water to get it, it's highly contagious and hand sanitizer won't save you.