Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Punta Mita / Sayulita surf, food and lodging beta please...

Look for that pretty much.

Tentative plans to travel to the area this coming February with my wife, 2.5 yr old son and 70 yr old mom in law. Everyone is a pretty goo traveler but this would be my son's first time out of the country, we my mom in law chose this location from a list including Hawaii and Costa Rica mainly base on length and ease of travel and comfort level.

I'd like to short board a bit while there but this is a family vacation and not a surf vacation. We like to eat good food. We would love a toddler beach out front and decent surfing within a short walk. I can make short trips to nearby surf on the right days.

Are there restaurants outside resorts in Punta Mita. Is there a downtown? Is it better to stay in Sayulita? Will Sayulita be windy in winter? Where is a good place to eat water front? Drink beers?

What not to miss? Best waves are where? Should I take a boat guide? Any Eco touring near by? Wildlife? Best beach?

There is little to no surf in Sayulita, but it is a ex-pat city and there is lots of small shops and restaurants as it is just a small village/city off the beaten path. I would definitely recommend at minimum two nights there. It is bait spends though. I have stayed at villa amor a few times. If you can find an owner listing for a rental you might be able to get a deal but winter is their good season there. Punta mita is a little more limited on options but more oriented towards surfing. Fisherman will take you north to some spots to surf, but waves aren't huge but still fun. SUP is always a fun option and golf if you have the coin. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Its been some time since I've been to Sayulita, I know its grown quite a bit from when
    I was making it my christmas holiday surf break, I found a family compound to stay at that was really sweet called Casa Carolina's, they are at the southern end of the beach, close to
    the surf break but up on the hillside. the Main house has several Casitas that they rent out for short stays, clean, modern and set up for cooking.

It's a great set up, private stairs lead down to the beach and you can do a surf check
    from the front balcony in the morning.

I stayed there with my future Mother inlaw for what its worth, she's picky and she loved it. feel free to pm if you have any questions

We were thinking of staying in Punta Mita. What we have read about climate, it sounds perfect. I've found a condo in front of what sounds like a perfect toddler beach and maybe a very mellow break. 30 minute walk to Faro(?) which sounds like a decent short board break. Car tide away from Barros, which also looks like a decent short board break.

I will likely travel with just a small wave short board. Don't mind renting a Lon board or SUP, but I do hope to get some fun chest high or so surf. Is that unlikely?

Looking at a condo near El Anclote, if that helps. On the water in down town Punta Mita. Is that a good locale, or would you look else where?

Any really good eats? Anything in PV I should look into? Location of good grocery store?

Punta mita can be a lot of fun, although we stayed at Sayulita we would sometimes hire a taxi for a day trip to Punta Mita, hike down to Burros or surf at Ancolote, or take a skiff
    from the harbor and surf out at the reef at El Faro, the surf spots at that time were pretty undeveloped, Burros now has beachfront properties that you have to hike past,
    Ancolote was just a group of beach front Palapas that served up great seafood and margaritas, there's a fun peeling longboard break there. but tends to be small.

best bet there for quality waves is El Faro, especially if you score a good winter swell
    although approaching the reef from the beach can be tricky, the shallows are covered with purple urchins.

You must eat at the fish taco place across the walkway from the PV airport. Best ever.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums

Been doing my research. Seems like surf in Punta Mita will depend a bit on the swell. We might be within a rocky beach walk o El Faro which looks like it might be the best chance for decent short board waves. Barros would be a drive or a boat ride.

Does anyone have any idea how much boat taxis run for? How they work around there?

Sayulita looks more likely a fun place to go have lunch as opposed to a place to search out good surf. Anyone know of a decent break nearby that faces more directly into the north west swells in case things are small on the points?

Not finding a lot of good info on the net. Gonna boot up the old laptop and see if I have any surf guides for the region. I did have one that included Troncones area, so it might have stuff as far north as PV.

Thanks for all and any beta.

Been surfing that point for 6 years. We stay in Sayulita and drive the 15 min over the hill to surf one of the awesome breaks that face south and pick up everything. La Lancha is the personal favorite. El Anclote is a mush burger that needs bigger souths to work, El Faro gets blown out really quick as its exposed to wind. Burros is fun, but crowded, it's the PV local favorite. I fly a short SUP and a fish.

It's more fun for us to stay in Sayulita, but we don't surf there. Crowded, mushy, shoulder hopping shit show, but you can catch a few early if you get out at sunrise. The food in Sayulita is the best. Tacos el Ivan has the best pastor.

Check out Gecko car rentals. Cash discount, not rental plates, easy process and a ride from/to airport.

Corral Reef in Bucerias for board rentals. My buddy owns a rental in Sayulita, awesome local, easy in/out of town, pool, hit me up if you want some contact info.

And it takes a solid hour to get to Tronchones without the 15 min boat ride.

Plus the locals in Sayulita love kids. We've been taking my daughter there since she was 8 weeks old and have never had a shortage of folks talking to us and little kids playing with her in the town square. You can sit on the beach and get food delivered while your kid plays in the sand.

Do you go down that way in winter?

Is Sayulita windy in the afternoons that time of year?

I like the looks of the town better than the condo vile that is Punta Mita. But, seeing this is primarily a family trip, I want to make sure we can enjoy the beach and weather the entire day.

Yes and yes. I feel like Sayulita would be better for a family, there's just more to do.

La Lancha picks up just about anything in the way of swell.

^^^Seems you know this place...

So, I am planning on bringing my board that gets real fun at chest high to a foot over head, but will generally ride down to thigh high as long as the waves have some shape and a little bit of power. Can I expect to have fun, or am I expecting too much from the waves.

La Lancha is good on a NW? WNW? I've read that it is mainly a long board wave, but can be short boarded. How would you describe the wave? Where is your home surf? If LL is fun enough for a 6'0", then I kind of like our potential location that claims they are a 30min walk from Faro and LL. Morning and afternoon spots, I assume.

I'm assuming Coral Reef rents long boards and SUPs.

Is El Faro a better short board wave? I assume it is to be surfed at sunrise.

I'm talking to my wife about Sayulita, but my mom in law is surprising us with her want of first world comfort, and is attracted to near Anclote. How is the beach there? I'm concerned it is kind of like a marina and not really where I want my son playing. OTOH, if it is a nice beach, I can deal. Biggest thing the mrs. wants is water front, so she can walk right out on to the beach.

There needs to be some west in the swell for it to wrap around to La Lancha. All the waves tend to be more soft, but not gutless. I look at the forecast and make the call as to what I bring. I always roll a short surf SUP and then either bring a 5'11 fish or a 6'8 round pin quad that will handle damn near anything. That 30 min walk to El Faro or LL can get sharp, I bring 5 fingers and depending on tides surf with em in my pocket for the walk out or stash em on the beach. The "beach" at El Anclote is combo of inside jetty sand where all the kids swim (doesn't mean it's clean though), rocky shoreline further west and stay out of the water further east of the break, there's a sewage pipe that can shit up the water.

Coral Reef can rent you about anything you want and El Faro just depends on the day. Gets big, but much over overhead plus starts shutting it down (at least on big souths, I've never caught it on a big north).

Found a place and ready to book. The owner described the break at El Anclote as like Cowells here in SC, which is a super weak lb break. The better breaks he describes as like Trestles. Fun, but certainly not top to bottom. I can go for that if accurate.

What are 5 fingers? I plan to bring my reef booties. I have no shame in wearing them if needed.

5 Fingers are those Vibram shoes that have toes built in. Think reef shoes.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Why the fuck are they not called five toes?

just realized that in the past 2 days I started looking into a trip to the Sayulita area sometime this coming summer. Guess I'm choosing the wrong season, and should look further south?

did you end up booking ott? If we did something like this GF and I would be staying somewhere super cheap, and likely renting a car to get around. Interested to hear your beta when you get back.

Yeah. We are booked. On the point, just east of the four seasons compound. I'll need to walk a bit or pay for a boat to surf, other than a slow break right out front. I'll be sure to let you know what I find. I am assuming this I a great location to take grandparents and kids, but might be not ideal for a full on surf trip.

I'm headed to Nuevo Vallerta to a resort with the wife next week. Not a surf trip but I'll try and poke around toward Punta Mita. Jtran, some people love Sayulita...some people think it's gringo hell. I'm somewhere in the middle but I'll say this. If I were going to travel that area, wanted to surf, spoke a little spanish, were renting a car that's not where I'd go. Look at some VRBOs for Bucerias. Driving distant to Sayulita and Punta Mita, a nicer town I near, less entitled ex-pat, funders, and all the other gringo I try to stay away from on vacation and your money will go further.

reason that area immediately stuck out for me was the cheap ($320) direct flight from TJ that would make it super affordable for us. Flying any further south, from either TJ or SD, adds on a good $300-500 to the flights I randomly looked at (Puerto Escondido, Ixtapa in MX, and Managua) during summer surf season.

that being said, just looked at the map and see Bucerias would be the same TJ > puerto vallarta direct flight. Will have to research more.

Not to hijack ott, but GF wants a relaxing surf trip (i.e. not a lot of travel once we're there to dif spots), hang out on the beach between sessions, eat tacos at night, go to sleep kind of thing. Bucerias a good spot with that in mind?

Her parents also live in Todos Santos (the baja sur town), so there's really no reason we couldn't do a summer Cabo surf trip with free lodging/car, besides the desire to be somewhere tropical, not deserty.

Just got back...good times. AC has the Punta Mita info spot on. I walked to La Lancha and it is no big deal. I just took my fins and hand plan and borrowed a board from some tired/frustrated surf schoolers (yep...I'm that guy). In town was ankle biters while La Lancha was waist plus.

I really liked the area. Much less hassle than many places in MX. I want to go on a surf/fish trip to Punta Mita. Take your rods for sure. The going price for anything panga (snorkel, surf, fish) seemed like $75 per person/ day if you went to a gringo owned business. I'd try to negotiate at the little boat harbor.

Of note, they is some weird shit going on with the road access to La Lancha. It is gated with a guard but still free. Catch is you have to have a board. I'd suggest doing the walk. I'd try and take some soft racks so you can just take taxis instead of a "surf excursion".

FG, are you literally just back? Trying to get an idea of how much of the past few swells made it down there. Did it ever get over waist high?