Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    And it is so fucking warm. I rennet jogging down for Dawn patrol being just a tad chilly in my board shorts until I hit the water and it felt like a bath. As soon as that sun came up, the beach was toasty. Have fun.
    Did it generally get blown out in the PM, or did conditions stay good most days? I assume the sebreeze is kind of a cross/off on the S facing breaks?

Since we're staying about 30 mins north I doubt I'll be down there in the early AM with a crew of non surfers in tow

We were there in February, so different.

There was a classier period in the morning, maybe until 11am or so. Then a slight sea breeze would develop. Cross off for sure. Not horrible. And it would typically glass off an hour before sunset.

I surfed early mostly because I had a two year old and in laws back at the condo and could get in a decent Dawn session and meet them for breakfast. We were in Punta Mita so it was maybe a 15 minute drive.

Ugh this thread is killing me. Longest stretch without a MX trip for 10 years.

Well that was a fun trip. With a group of 2 non-surfers and 2 beginners I was able to get out for at least an hour every day of the trip. Surfed at lancha and sayulita - both fun waves in my opinion, at least for what I was looking for after not surfing for a year.

Swell was super small our first 3 days, but was nice to get my shoulders going again. Picked up and stayed around 1.5-2@18 for the remainder of the trip. Only did 1 day at la lancha with the bigger swell, and that made it about shoulder high on the sets. Had my most fun day of surfing in a few years last Tuesday.

The rest of the week the group wanted to stay closer to our lodging so I surfed both the L and R in Sayulita. The vibe on the R was super chill one day, really competitive the next - kind of weird to figure out why, but as long as you give most set waves to the locals I didn't have any issues. My beginner buddy did get yelled at for getting in the way though. On the L there was never really a crowd, but that reef was scaring me a bit as the tide got low. Not Hawaii sharp, but not SD flat and mellow either.

As advertised the food was amazing and cheap and the vibe is off the hook. Would 100% go back.

So, I am booking a trip for me and kiddo for spring break the first week of April. Does anyone have any lodging recommendations just north of town, preferably a short walk to the beach?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^^ Mita or Sayu or San Pancho... If San Pancho - bungalows Lydia just north of town. You will need a car though. In Mita, Palladium is right at a lovely and well known wave.

In Mita I have stayed at Basalto which was swanky and nice for a getaway but for a week would be spendy. No idea about Sayulita but I'm sure someone here has intel.

^^^^Burros needs a bit of swell to get going. I would say it is maybe in April. Palladium is an all inclusive party palace if you are into that, but we prefer options for eating. But for each their own. If Burros were breaking, I'm sure Palladium is the place to be.

We vrbo or airbnb a condo in Mita that was pretty nice, and pretty inexpensive. 2 bedroom, pools, came with two 8' NSP boards we ended u using instead of renting cause the surf never fired. Then we ate in breakfast and dinner and drinks but ended up eating out most nights.

Buddy of mine went last year and stayed at this place https://www.laredondasayulita.com/

We vrbo or airbnb a condo in Mita that was pretty nice, and pretty inexpensive. 2 bedroom, pools, came with two 8' NSP boards we ended u using instead of renting cause the surf never fired. Then we ate in breakfast and dinner and drinks but ended up eating out most nights.
    Do you by chance remember the name? We are ideally looking for a two bedroom condo that has some beach toys available, and a semi-stocked kitchen would be ideal. (Spices, oil, condiments, etc).

It was in this complex

https://www.vrbo.com/2038426?noDates...unitId=2602946

It is gated, so safer for the car. In Laws liked that aspect for taking the kid don to the pool. Nice views. Right at the end of the street of food options. Small long right out front.

The rooms have big balconies and they are glass walls between, some that open up. We really liked that. Small bedrooms, but that was good as well. Not to waste space. Short drive to La Lancha for sunrise and back before anyone made it past breakfast. It worked well or our group.

I lived in that complex for awhile, and also the one across the street. This one is definitely nicer.

We booked flights down to PV 4/25-5/3, second year in a row around that timeframe. We had so much fun last time (food, drink, music, beach, surf) that we decided it was easiest to just go back. Plus, direct flights from SLC.

We're going to do San Pancho again and rent a car. Only surfed La Lancha and Sayulita R and L last time, maybe should branch out and look around, but I found it super easy to rent for a week from wildmex and let them keep the board every night. Just roll into their shop, give them my ID while I took the board out, then drop it off before going elsewhere.

There's talk of a good left a little north of the punta mita area, ya? PMs appreciated

What time of year becomes too hot for Colorado peeps to feel comfortable around PM/PV/Sayulita? waiting on passports.... won't likely make the spring break window in March and kids don't get out of school until first week of June.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

If anyone is around 4/1-4/5, I’ll be there with my kiddo. I will have a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What time of year becomes too hot for Colorado peeps to feel comfortable around PM/PV/Sayulita? waiting on passports.... won't likely make the spring break window in March and kids don't get out of school until first week of June.
    I’ve been in March, April, November, and December. It is always hot, humid, and I like it. Exact opposite of home.

Rent a place with a soak pool and AC in the bedrooms. heat is a non-issue.

i battled down on the beach in Oaxaca in march/april/may but felt much more comfortable in oct. By november i was getting coldish in the am and evenings

June starts getting hot, and it's the start of rainy season. Places start shutting down, too.

Is there anywhere in the general area where you can snorkel from the beach? We're going in March, staying in PV, will have a rental car and want to explore along the coast for day trips. Wondering if there are any more sheltered coves with decent snorkeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Is there anywhere in the general area where you can snorkel from the beach? We're going in March, staying in PV, will have a rental car and want to explore along the coast for day trips. Wondering if there are any more sheltered coves with decent snorkeling.
    Not right from the beach, but if you go down to Mismaloya and rent a paddle board or kayak and take it out to Los Arcos and tie up to a buoy and snorkel there. It is pretty awesome. Crazy amounts of fish everywhere. Also paddle through the arches is conditions are right. We did it a few years ago and it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Not from the beach, but we hired a boat out of Mita for cheap to take us out to the islands to snorkel. Took a detour on the way out as the driver saw whale breaching and wanted to get us close. Out on the islands you can swim into a cave/arch and onto a protected beach. For sure was worth the $40 that also included rental snorkel gear.

Not from the beach, but we hired a boat out of Mita for cheap to take us out to the islands to snorkel. Took a detour on the way out as the driver saw whale breaching and wanted to get us close. Out on the islands you can swim into a cave/arch and onto a protected beach. For sure was worth the $40 that also included rental snorkel gear.
    Thanks - we took a snorkel trip like that on a prior trip, and it was really pretty out there. Might repeat it this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^Talking about the Marieta Islands, snorkeling isn't as good at down south around Los Arcos IME, but the secret beach and caves and stuff are cool. There is a lot of rules around it, and the timing. We hired a private boat for our group of 8. It was good, better than being on the big boats.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    We booked flights down to PV 4/25-5/3, second year in a row around that timeframe. We had so much fun last time (food, drink, music, beach, surf) that we decided it was easiest to just go back. Plus, direct flights from SLC.

We're going to do San Pancho again and rent a car. Only surfed La Lancha and Sayulita R and L last time, maybe should branch out and look around, but I found it super easy to rent for a week from wildmex and let them keep the board every night. Just roll into their shop, give them my ID while I took the board out, then drop it off before going elsewhere.

There's talk of a good left a little north of the punta mita area, ya? PMs appreciated
    I really liked dealing with Wildmex. They gave my wife a great surf lesson, and they really know the area.

If you get some good swell, Wildmex can take you by boat to some of the waves on the Punta Mita St. Regis property. There is a great right there that we were never able to get when pumping. I think you might need a group to get the boat, I'm not sure what the cost is.

As to the lefts up the coast, I have heard good things but I really don't know much about the details. I wanted to try and go when I was there, but there was never enough swell.

If you look on Wannasurf you can find some information. I don't know how good that info is, that site is user edited to my knowledge so I would use it at your own risk.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

No real swell to speak of on this trip, but 4 days surfing waist high waves did the trick for me. Super fun.

My GF took a surf lesson with wildmex 1 day and was able to get up (with a push from the instructor) on a green wave 4 times. She was super stoked as well. It's so easy to want to keep going back to the area, but I think la saladita and zihua are next on my hitlist.

Can't wait to get down to SD several times this summer and get some more surfing in. The bug has bit (again)