Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    there were lots of places advertising, can't remember the rate but it wasn't much for your red obviously rented compact.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Related question, is there Uber/Lyft in Sayulita?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

works in PV for sure. looking around travel websites while checking on rentals i found references to ubers instead of taking compostelas, so likely? if you find anything per an 80's el camino for rent, lmk.

Read through this thread last night. After saying I may be going to the riviera nayarit area like 3 different times over the last 8 years I am actually finally going in about a month; staying at a little casita in san pancho for 8 nights 2nd week of May (wanted to avoid sayulita proper to stay in, this seemed like a great spot and more chill)

Not a "surf trip", but want to surf. Saw there's some MTB trails between San Pancho and Sayulita, so definitely planning on checking those out (wildmex guides and rentals the way to go there?)

Otherwise just gonna chill, spend time on the beach and in the casita pool, and eat bomb food. May even pull out the laptop and work in someone else's backyard, ikonpass-stylee!

I've only surfed a handful of times (5-10) in the last 1.5 years, so wasit/chest surf is perfect for me, longboards are completely fun this trip. I'm goofy, I like to go left.

A. should we rent a car?
    B. any surfboard rentals in san pancho, or should we try to figure that out elsewhere?
    C. seems like the best (only?) surf will be in punta mita. la lancha seems doable if you get there at 7AM - is that still the case? What other breaks should I seek out for long, chill lefts.
    D. long duc dong mentioned a left point 1.5 hours north that he wants to hit. Should I be seeking that out if there's swell?
    E. Thinking of hitting up the wildmex guys about MTB pretty soon, and am curious if they'd put some sort of "package" together for us that'd be a few days of bikes, a few days of surf+shuttle. Maybe need to compare that cost vs. renting a car and a board each day.

Anything I'm missing?

Lastly, this is my first time going to anywhere in Mex that isn't northern baja in my own vehicle, so not really up on the what can I eat/what do I avoid/how do I not get sick. Tips appreciated.

Don’t drink the tap water.

Food in Punta Mita was really good when we were there.

All rights down that way. La Lancha was the most consistent, but Buros breaks with more swell.

I’d call wildmex and compare prices. You will want a shuttle or a car to get around.

We rented a sedan and brought a soft rack with us and that worked out great. W/o a rack you’d need to rent a bigger car.

Wildmex had a nice selection of rental boards.

I'm currently working/living in Mexico and Nayarit is my go to, have been there a few times in the last 6 months, and the surf is certainly going to be much better when you are there. I'm not an everyday surfer, as its kind of a shitshow but it should be much quieter when you are there but I am on the beach everyday and I can share some dope spots. I Just got back from 2.5 weeks in SP/Mita last week. Bailed before the Semana Santa hoards showed up (and did they ever). Covid is rampant here right now, and zero masks anywhere except PV proper. Please be safe, all of the hospitals in Mexico are at 100% capacity.

A- Yes, rent a car at the PV airport or somewhere in PV. I've rented from MEX car rental a few times, decently cheap i've also rented from Hertz and I recommend you read the fine print. You can also have a car delivered to your casita from most of the vendors at a cost, I think enterprise has an office in SP. You will want it, SP is off the beaten path and to get to Mita or any of the breaks down that way you will either need to hire a ride or take a bus. Its worth it to have the flexibility as you will definitely want to get out of town, especially to try different food.
    B. You can rent boards anywhere, from a short rental at the breaks (SP - Santa Rita or Nativa, Lancha/Burros - Mixtlan/Wildmex) or longer from Coral Reef in Bucerias.
    C- Surf around Mita is better, its a pretty big bay that needs a lot of swell to pick up but you're showing up at the right time. SP kind of sucks, short beach break with not the best water, but fun to sit on the beach and drink margs and watch some good riders. Sayu is another hit or miss, the north wave is usually better. Sayu is crowded AF - I avoid. There are also waves south of PV.
    D- No comment.
    E- No comment but I am seeing more and more folks on good rigs riding around town so presumably there is some decent riding around, it's hilly. May will be very very hot and humid and can have pretty torrential rain come through.

SP has good food, always stay stocked up on water. Wash your veggies in microdyn. You're likely gonna blow out a back weld at some point but it's all part of the fun. There is an excellent ceviche cart that parks outfront of the soccer pitch across from the pharmacies on the main drag that is bomb.

I can give you a pretty detailed run down of what I know, hotels/casitas, restaurants, food carts, taco carts, things to do from a few of the different spots in and around SP. Don't know much Sayu but that seems to be well covered. Send me a PM and I can give you a good rundown. Andele pues!

And just as a bump as I saw it elsewhere in this thread - "Tacon de Marlin" under the walkway across from PV airport is absolutley dynamite. Their mixed burrito (Camaron, Pulpo, Marlin) and Marlin Pastor are 100% dynamite.

If you like birds, I know a guy who is an utterly amazing dude for birdwatching in that zone. He has an office in San Pancho. San Pancho is much smaller than Sayulita, but not that much quieter.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Definitely second on Wildmex. Here is their website

https://wildmex.com/location/

Their selection of boards is excellent. I was very impressed, lots of fish, fun shapes and longboards, perfect if you have not been in the water in a while.

There is a good variety of surf around Punta Mita, most of it is pretty mellow unless there is a solid swell. We didn't get much swell, but still had fun. We want to go back.

I do want to go to the places north of Sayulita sometime. It is a drive, but if you are goofy they look really fun.

We were spending points at the St. Regis, so it was luxurious. There are some fun, but rocky, points around that area. It takes some solid swell to get it going though. My guess is that you will be there at a good time for what you want.

I would email Wildmex and talk to them about what you want to do. I really like dealing with them, and they seemed to have an ability to taylor things. And if you want to surf funshape/longboard type crafts I wouldn't bother bringing a board. Like I said before, their selection is excellent.

EDIT: I dealt with Wildmex in Punta Mita, not Sayulita.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Schemeboat View Post
    And just as a bump as I saw it elsewhere in this thread - "Tacon de Marlin" under the walkway across from PV airport is absolutley dynamite. Their mixed burrito (Camaron, Pulpo, Marlin) and Marlin Pastor are 100% dynamite.
    I never ate there, but there was this little place in Bucerias that had the most awesome Birria. I stopped there every Sunday while I was living there. Damn I miss it.

Best Birria I have had in that part of town is a cart outside of a Conoco station in Bucerias.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    If you like birds, I know a guy who is an utterly amazing dude for birdwatching in that zone. He has an office in San Pancho. San Pancho is much smaller than Sayulita, but not that much quieter.
    the guy i linked a page ago that i went hiking with is an amazing naturalist / birder too. He's a volunteer with the feds to track wildlife and prevent poaching. You probably couldn't pick a bad guide... the bird scene down there is incredible. I was never into it but it was on the list of things my partner wanted to do, and I was not disappointed. We didn't catch the pygmy owl but saw a lot of other awesome ones. lots of colors. And, jaguar tracks, but alas, no jag. I'd certainly give a birding hike another chance if i was in the area.

Some of the wildlife stuff is kind of weird with people trying to profit on the turtles and stuff. Lots of people seemed angry about other people's intentions.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

The point 1.5 hours north is a place Wildmex could take you. It needs some swell, I have never been there so I can't really comment, but it is on Wannasurf. If you book lessons/tours with Wildmex you can ask them about it.

The places are basically in little fishing villages. One is called Chacala. There are breaks called Lola's and Patole's, or something like that.

I would not try to find them on your own. I would talk to the Wildmex guys.

I would really love to go back and get a chance to surf them, but when we were there it was only waist to chest high. We still had fun at the breaks around Punta Mita.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Sayulita is amazing went 10 years or so ago and absolutely loved it hope you’re ripping it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

sorry that I bailed on this thread, but thanks all for the replies.

Will definitely get in touch with wildmex folks - thanks for vouching for them. Looks legit online, but you never know.

nconzey, that's what I'm afraid of, and hence getting lodging outside of town. Either way I'm sure it'll be a great time with good food and warm water.

Random water question: do you all have drinks at bars/restaurants with ice in them in MX, or would you go beer/soda only? I.e. michelada, margarita, etc

^^^^ I stick to bottled drinks.

Case by Case - watch how they are making them and see who is drinking and what. Most decent bars and restaurants will have ice delivered daily. None really make ice. But I haven't been to a pub in ages down here (sad face, they are so much fun). In SP there are some beach bars (La Palma) that serve drinks with ice, never got sick from them. A lot of times Micheladas won't have ice either. You can always get a Marg sin hielo and its still a fun time. If worried (and honestly a much more fun drunk) go for nice cold bottles of beer and chase them down with high quality mezcal or tequila. I usually hover around with cold bottles of Victoria. If you are staying in a place with a kitchen, make you own. You can buy A-grade tequila for less than $30USD from Mega, Wally, La Comer, Chedraui or any little tienda and limes are like a billion for 2 dollars. Buy a bag of ice and whatever other mixers and make sure to get a lime squeezer and a packable beach cooler. I usually mix up enough to last the day and then come taco time it's cold chelas.

I would worry more about salads/tomato/watermelon etc, and how they are washed, basically anything that is sold by weight with a high water content is suspect #1, and then anything fresh that will have been washed. I have heard many horror stories from people contracting awful shit from well to do places, like nice hotels. I usually get sick once a year down here and there is always a red flag, this year was from bone marrow at a shady cheap food spot and my GF was like "do not eat that I can smell it from here". Make sure you diligently wash you veggies in Microdyn. And get lots of water, nothing but bottled water is drinkable. Get a water cooler sized bottle, most tiendas and oxxos swap them in and out for you. It costs I think 60 peso for the bottle and each fill is like 40 peso. Around SP and Sayu most of the swaps are E-Pura or Ciel, not Bonafonte - this is important. San Pancho also has a water fill service that will fill anything, but I tend to stick to the big 3.

Also - sorry about the poor flag time on the PM response, I'll get back asap.

I lived in Punt Mita for close to a year and only got sick once and it was from bad Guac. I can still taste it. I only drank beer or shots, and gallons of Penafiel with Jumex while living there.

When I got sick it was the day of the gold medal hockey game between Canada and USA at the Vancouver games. I had front row at a Canadian bar in Sayulita and was getting sicker and sicker as the game went on. I was pounding soda waters and sweating my guts out but would not give up my seat or the game. Barely made it home after, and wanted to die for the next two days.

We are a bunch in Punta Mita in those places strung along the beach. Not sure what raw foods we ate, but never got sick. They are pricy by Mexican standards but my in laws bought dinner every night so that was cool. I agree washed raw foods are a potential danger. OTOH, we loaded up on tequila, limes and bottle drinks at the market before checking in.

I’ve also got really sick coming back from Baja once and I think it was the Aqua Fresca I thought might be a good idea. Dude told me it was made from bottled water, but I think something was lost in translation.

Feel like a kook asking for water tips but those are all great - thank you

Forecast looks like 1@13 from the SW for the first few days we're there, rising to 1.5@18 early next week. Hoping for at least some knee high consistency at lancha.

Punta Mita / Sayulita surf, food and lodging beta please...

^^^ if i recall correctly Lancha will be waist high building to close to head high. It picks up a lot of swell and punches high. Weak as fuck, but had face height. We had much smaller swell there most of the time and it was never less than knee. Other breaks will be smaller tho, except for the Cove and spots at the top of the bay. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^ if i recall correctly Lancha will be waist high building to close to head high. It picks up a lot of swell and punches high. Weak as fuck, but had face height. We had much smaller swell there most of the time and it was never less than knee. Other breaks will be smaller tho, except for the Cove and spots at the top of the bay. Enjoy.
    Sweet. That gets me stoked.

Looks like some 2@16 next Tuesday with predicted glassy winds. I'll take a few days of waist high to get my legs back under me

And it is so fucking warm. I rennet jogging down for Dawn patrol being just a tad chilly in my board shorts until I hit the water and it felt like a bath. As soon as that sun came up, the beach was toasty. Have fun.