Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Bumping. Read thru the entire thread (very bored at work). I'm going to be in Sayulita for spring break in march. What size board would you guys recommend (I'll be renting)? I consider myself a upper level beginner, maybe intermediate? I'm a big skier/mtb guy but visited Bucerias two years ago and was able to surf La lancha in march, I think I was on a 9' board one day and 8' another day? I was able to pop up and ride the wave back in essentially. Thanks in advance everyone

just got in and this place is not unattractive Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4693.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	269944
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    Bumping. Read thru the entire thread (very bored at work). I'm going to be in Sayulita for spring break in march. What size board would you guys recommend (I'll be renting)? I consider myself a upper level beginner, maybe intermediate? I'm a big skier/mtb guy but visited Bucerias two years ago and was able to surf La lancha in march, I think I was on a 9' board one day and 8' another day? I was able to pop up and ride the wave back in essentially. Thanks in advance everyone
    i think it’s gonna depend on the waves man. we had some big days but mostly small ones. car rental is 6ish a day. beaches about 5km to the south have bigger surf. water is almost 80 degrees now and getting warmer, it was sweet.

the torta shop just north of the bridge is excellent.

bring 300 pesos for one of those cool oaxaca blankets and don’t pay more.

at the carnaval in town you get three throws at bottles for 40 pesos. if you have a good arm you can win a sixer, find the stall with the bottles close together and let it rip.
    .....I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record

http://procatinator.com/?cat=80

Quote Originally Posted by J_Berg View Post
    It depends on what is available, but you know it will be easier on the long board, so just go 9 ft.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Was just down in sayulita in early March. Not much swell...but a great family trip. Didn’t really get sick (was pretty careful and only ate at nice spots) and stayed in a nice place. Heard other people talking about it though “half the people that came for the wedding got sick ” but that’s avoidable.

Wow la lancha has changed...was a zoo.

They’re almost finished w the water treatment effluent pipe. Sending it 2km offshore. Hopefully that will help some, but hasn’t really addressed the leaks from houses before the treatment plan. Progress nonetheless!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6714.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	242.9 KB 
ID:	273699

So I'm finally going to get to this area. We have some points to use, and we were thinking about Aruba, but have settled on Punta Mita, late August. We will be staying at the St. Regis for 6 nights, paying only about 140 a night because of points, so we could not turn that down. There are some breaks within walking distance, and some others that we can reach. This is not a surf trip per se, I'm probably not going to get two sessions a day in, but I do want to get at least one session a day and that looks to be doable. My wife is going to want to take some surfing lessons. I would love to hit up the lefts that are something like an hour to 1.5 hours north, Chicala and Santa Cruz, but I don't know if that will happen. Still, there does seem to be enough surf in the Punta Mita area that I should be able to get my fill.

That Costa Azul resort place does look great, but this should be a nice trip all-around. There do seem to be breaks that are walking distance from the St. Regis.

How safe is the village of Punta Mita? I know the area around the St. Regis will be safe, and we won't be doing any serious traveling on the roads at night, but I do want to go into the village without too much worry. Hopefully we will get some swell.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Punta Mita is very safe, as for driving at night, I spent many a night driving between there and Sayulita with no worries.. Lived there for almost a year working on a private villa in the four seasons compound.

Pints Miya is Mexico Light. You pay more for things, but the main strip in town was super safe. My 70 ur old in laws were comfortable taking my 2 yr old son out for the evening so we could have a separate date.

There are plenty of breaks walking distance of the st Regis (if I have my properties straight), and being south swell season, you shouldn’t really have a need to go else where. If the swell is cranking, head in toward Buros. If small, walk out to the cove.

The point break on the south facing side can be tricky entering/exiting the water.

Many thanks guys. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I figured Punta Mita was pretty safe. Surfline has a feature up called Cartel Land which is straight up scary.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

We spent a day in Sayulita a few weeks ago, drove up from PV for the day. I was amazed by how busy it was, and this was post Easter, midweek in their kinda slow season. Tons of people out, breaks were crowded (didn't surf, more of a recon for future trips).

One thing I noticed was the restaurants in Sayulita had norovirus warnings so definitely take precautions. They were handing out hand sanitizer like candy when you walked in.

Ended up at Don Pedro's, and the food (fish tacos) and service were excellent. Beer was cold. But it was probably the most americanized touristy restaurant on the beach. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but less authentic. Nobody got norovirus so I count that as a win.

We didn't get a chance to check out Punta Mita, but will next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    Many thanks guys. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

I figured Punta Mita was pretty safe. Surfline has a feature up called Cartel Land which is straight up scary.
    Pay your bills, don't try to take someone's business away and you'll be fine in Mex. A couple of Canadians got smoked up in PV when I was living in Punta Mita, but they were slinging sacks and it sounds like someone took offense to their behavior. It was funny when the Canadian consulate's official position was basically, "Eh, that's what happens.."

^^^^sure. But some parts of the country are inherently more dangerous than other. Punta Mita i would List on the safer side of things. As in you are not likely to get mugged, threatened or propositioned while walking the main drag during evening business hours. I was not out at 3AM, so no idea about night. But in general way safer than Tijuana for instance.

Heading out in a few days for a week. It looks like there should be some swell. Will report on it. I might try to hit the chacala area for a day.

Jealous. Enjoy it.. It will still be hotter than blazes but just move slower and drink lots of
    penafiels.