Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    meh. It was fine, but certainly did not live up to the hype. We had a few hours of big surf in October, but otherwise, it has been mostly in the fun range. While I love the fun range, I also like getting a little pinched now and again. And I am picking up a new 6.6 designed for the 8-15' range, so my quiver hole is well filled. Bring on the juice.

Sayulita end of MAY

Peeps,

Going to Sayulita zone end of may for 5 nights. Going with my lady who surfs and looking for some good insight. Where's the best place to stay this time of the year? Looking like the swell will need some West to be good? What spots are good on south swells? Stay in Sayulita and travel to Punta Mita to surf? We're both good surfers but have never been to this zone. Any tips would be appreciated! Also, where to get the greens?

Quote Originally Posted by GOLDSB View Post
    Peeps,

Going to Sayulita zone end of may for 5 nights. Going with my lady who surfs and looking for some good insight. Where's the best place to stay this time of the year? Looking like the swell will need some West to be good? What spots are good on south swells? Stay in Sayulita and travel to Punta Mita to surf? We're both good surfers but have never been to this zone. Any tips would be appreciated! Also, where to get the greens?
    The best place to stay IMO in Sayulita is the Villa Amor. It's on the southern most point just away from the town center but has the best views and it's own private beach area. Most units are individually owned, and I'm not sure completely how the renting goes, most likely on their site. For decent waves you will want to get a boat out of Punta Mita to some of the more exposed spots. The way the Sayulita bay is shaped it gets blocked and little to no swell gets in there. However paddle boarding is fun as the water is clear and usually stays calm as it's blocked from the wind. Honestly if your a decent surfer, the waves don't offer up much anywhere in that region. I know you can go north a couple hours and there's much more exposed areas that catch south swells. It's a great place to go for a Mexico beach trip, but not a surf destination.

I dunno about the waves not offering much if you are a good surfer. Depends on what you are looking for. Certainly not world class, but I was in Punta Mita in the winter, when the souths swells were very small and weak. Still had fun on them on a long board.

Goldsb, read through the thread for surf info on Punta Mita. It all faces south, and I'd assume that if there is a decent south running (greater than 2@16) you would be able to score head high waves. No need for the boat taxi unless you (1) have money to spare (2) only want to surf 1.5 hours and (3) don't like to walk on cobblestone. The Point looked like it would be a very fun wave with the right kind of swell. The day I surfed the Cove (at the top of the point), it would have been fun to have a short board with me. Can't recall the name of the break I hit most days (it is in this thread), but again, with some solid swell I'd expect it would be a fairly fun right point break, with a shorter, bowly, juicey little left. And there were other short reef break waves in that zone. I've also seen video of Burros looking pretty fun as well. Again, not world class type of things, but plenty of fun to rip around on.

At the very least, if you are going to be in Sayulita, I'd take the 50 minute drive south and explore well before going on a wild chase several hours north. And the food right in town PM is quite good. If it were me, I'd likely stay in PM and then travel up to Sayulita for a day trip if the swell is no on. I'd also walk to the breaks at the top, and bring along a snack and small soft cooler with drinks. Spend the day surfing, come home, shower, eat some good food on the beach, and repeat. No real night life though if that is important to you. Sayulita has a lot more day and night life. Not sure I'd want to drive that road much after dark. And in Mex, I avoid any green searching. Too sketchy, IMO.

Make your trip worth it.Mex is so 1988....head to pavones cr...world class wave and the weed is green.

I tore an MCL in dec so I needed to get out of town, i figured the skiing would suck in mexico so I went to sayulita in january, directflights into PV with an easy 35peso bus ride to sayulita, I booked a place on airbnb where the living was cheap (and green) as for night life close the rodeo bar then move to the bar don pato (also green) there is a large party every friday night at a bar on the beach, food is pretty cheap in sayulita so go upscale and bring imodium or some generic loperamine salts ... expect the shits

duno about surfing cuz I was trying to heal not get fucked up but I was told look out for sewage in the bay ...don't open your mouth

long walks north were good PT for the MCL and got me onto completely deserted beachs pretty quick

Ran into 3 buds from home ... sayulita is fun, chill and cheap
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-13-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Punta Mita / Sayulita surf, food and lodging beta please...

just got back from a week in PV. The wifey had some friends with a timeshare at one of the mega resorts in Nuevo Vallarta. I do not recommend staying there or anywhere around there. It was plenty nice but the food/drinks were US+ prices and had no character. Made it out of there a few days to surf sayulita, punta de mita and also a day of diving.

I saw it mentioned above but the place across from the airport is Taco'n de Marlin. Had an amazing shrimp burrito there right before heading back to SLC. That plus some free tequilla shots at the duty free store had me snoozing the whole way home.

Pretty sure I had the best tacos of my life at Panchos Takos in old town Vallarta. If you're in that area do yourself a favor and get a couple of al pastor tacos.

If you're looking for boards in Punta de Mita ask for a dude named Oso Negro. He runs a surf school there and rents pretty nice boards, super friendly laid back dude. We didn't check out his short board selection but his long boards were much nicer than the normal foam top boards you rent in that area. Prices were cheap too.
    Last edited by dfinn; 10-11-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Nice bump and recommendations dfinn. Headed down that way in a few weeks for a few weeks. Looking forward to trying to get some days in Sayulita, hopefully on a board. Will be staying in PV for most of it though.

Seconding oso negro. Good guy. Took the wife and I around. Friendly and introduced us to friends for deals on food/board rentals.

Really enjoyed Punta mita. Nice blend of authentic fishing village and high end resort amenities at the other end of town.

Some really nice apartments at the opposite end of the beach from the 4 seasons. Definitely returning.

Bump because I am looking into a summer trip in this area. I am considering the Costa Azul Adventure resort. It would be nice to have a surf guide to make getting to the breaks easy, and I know this place organizes surf trips. I am looking for left points, as I have never surfed one before, with the possible exception of Cotton's. I don't need super heavy just fun, like a reverse Malibu. I want a place that gets consistent summer swell, so I can count on a likelihood of at least chest high. I really want to surf Chicala and Santa Cruz, which are within striking distance. I found a blog from a guy who went on a trip there and he got both of those breaks really fun, as well as fun waves in front of the resort at San Pancho. Those spots are a drive but very doable with a guide. I also need a place where my wife can get surfing lessons, and I would really like to get something all inclusive. The accommodations don't need to be 5 star, but I don't want a surf camp either.

How about Puerto Vallarta? Are there some good waves in town there? It would not be my first choice, and it is certainly not authentic but I need to at least look into it. I don't want to stay in Syulita as I would have to get a surf guide everyday due to the waves there. I am also worried about the guides at Costa Azul resort. I think the trips are group and I don't want to get stuck with a bunch of regular foots who don't want to hit Chicala and Santa Cruz, as I really want to hit some left points. If that were the case I might even pony up the cash to get a personal guide to take me to Chicala or Santa Cruz as I at least want to hit them once. Does anyone know how consistent they are on south/sw swells? I don't want to go if they take a monster to wake up, I want to count on the likelihood of at least shoulder high surf. I know someone in this thread found Chicala flat, but that was in the winter, in the summer it is supposed to be better. San Pancho is supposed to be pretty consistent if nowhere else.

It is between here and the Trocones/La Saladita area. I would be open to other suggestions. I really want a playful down the line proper left point and warm water. I have done Jaco in CR, and we got good beachbreak but did not get Boca Barranca which is epic but never breaks. I am looking for lefts that are more consistent than that.

Anyway, thanks for all the good info in this thread. I am trying to get as much information as possible about both Trocones and Costa Azul Resort as possible.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

I was in Trocones years ago. There is a nice, thick left point that wraps into a bay just north of there. It does require a lot of swell. Otherwise, a lot of craggy beach break around T.

I don't know the lefts north of Sayulita, but PM was picking up the south swell that was running when I was there in Feb, so it seems to really pick up the swell there (but it is south facing, so).

PV is pretty meh place to stay for long. There is old town, but lots of mega all inclusive resorts.

Could get lessons in PM, and there are gentle waves there. Even in summer.

Did you get Roca Loca while in Jaco? Love that zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I was in Trocones years ago. There is a nice, thick left point that wraps into a bay just north of there. It does require a lot of swell. Otherwise, a lot of craggy beach break around T.

I don't know the lefts north of Sayulita, but PM was picking up the south swell that was running when I was there in Feb, so it seems to really pick up the swell there (but it is south facing, so).

PV is pretty meh place to stay for long. There is old town, but lots of mega all inclusive resorts.

Could get lessons in PM, and there are gentle waves there. Even in summer.

Did you get Roca Loca while in Jaco? Love that zone.
    Thanks for the info.

We actually did not get Roca Loca, we only surfed Playa Hermosa, Esterillos and Jaco beach. We got Hermosa a couple of feet overhead and punchy. It is a pretty heavy beachbreak at that size, I actually broke a board. It was still fun though. I really liked Esterillos, it was softer and longer but still fun. We got it a bit overhead, it was not too heavy and lined up through the inside after a couple of cutbacks. The size at Esterillos convinced us to go to Boca Barranca, against our guide's advice. It was knee high. If you look at a map Barranca is tucked way up there, so it is not surprising that it needs something massive to break. I have always dreamed about it, a 500 yard hot dog left, but you have to be lucky to get it. We saw the Roca Loca zone on our way south, but it was not working. Jaco beach was fun, about shoulder high but a-frame peaks with tapered walls up and down the beach.

The thing I love about Costa Rica is that it is so consistent in the summer. Our guide told us that Hermosa breaks almost everyday. If you don't get it at least head high you have really bad luck.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

We're also looking at this zone (or maybe CR) for a trip this Thanksgiving. Obviously not prime season, but the easiest time to get away for 9ish days with our schedules.

Looking for the same thing - left points, warm water, fun size, learning zone for the GF.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post

Looking for the same thing - left points, warm water, fun size, learning zone for the GF.
    Saladita will provide these things. It is a super mellow wave, a bit of a disappointment honestly, but for teaching the GF it would be lovely.

It is sounding like Punta Mita is better than la saladita. The points north of Punta Mita sound like the type of fun lefts I am looking for.

Heading to PV Thurs with a bud who won a resort trip through work. Any PV recommendations not related to surfing? Prob not enough time and I'm a total surfing jong anyway.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

^^^^sorry, I know nothing other than drinking in PV.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    It is sounding like Punta Mita is better than la saladita. The points north of Punta Mita sound like the type of fun lefts I am looking for.
    did you find lefts north of PM? How were they?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    ^^^^sorry, I know nothing other than drinking in PV.

did you find lefts north of PM? How were they?
    Unfortunately I did not get to go this summer. It is the wife's 40th birthday so we are going on a cruise in the Mediterranean. I wanted to try and swing both but sadly it simply could not happen. I am definitely going to go next summer, have not decided where yet.

bump for a spontaneous trip to Sayulita leaving in a couple weeks. It's been an epic ski season and we need some sun and warm water to prep for the spring skiing in the Cascades and Sierra!

We're about to commit to a house rental on the north side of town based on recommendations, . I know the waves are inconsistent in Sayulita, but where do they break? Would it be better/closer to stay on the south side? We'll also plan to day trip to Punta Mita and the other spots mentioned in this thread, thanks for all the info.

I'm not bringing boards, between the outrageous baggage fee and the last 2 times I flew, my boards were pretty damaged. Where to rent??

Any experience in late March? Will the souths start to show up? Water temp??; shorty, 1mm top, board shorts??
    Looks like a pretty well visited spot, but any other advice for first visit to the area? We've spent months at a time in Baja, but this is first trip to mainland. So stoked!

We stayed on the north side a few years ago. The north side is (was) commonly referred to as "gringo hill". The main break in Sayulita is on the south side of town...10 minute walk from where we stayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    We're about to commit to a house rental on the north side of town based on recommendations, . I know the waves are inconsistent in Sayulita, but where do they break? Would it be better/closer to stay on the south side? We'll also plan to day trip to Punta Mita and the other spots mentioned in this thread, thanks for all the info.
    If you're worried about inconsistent waves book lessons or talk to Wildmex about surfing. Good folks with a shop in Sayulita and one near La Lancha, and they'll drive you to where the waves are breaking. They can be a little pricey comparatively speaking, but they're worth it IMO.

http://wildmex.com/location/

Enjoy some Tacos El Ivan while you're there!

Boards are cheap to rent down there. Hourly, daily, weekly. I think it was $100 for a week from a shop I checked online where the road peels off toward Punta Mita when you are coming north.

Sayulita is small. Can't imagine anything is a long walk.

Just from experience in SC, good southern can arrive in March. Not common, but they happen. I road mostly super micro souths in Feb, but got was up to chest high or more.

If you do get a good south, I would check the points.

Thanks all, getting pretty stoked. Couple quick ?'s

I'm not planning on renting a car. What's the best way to reach the other breaks; Wildmex, local boat driver??
    I didn't realize that Sayulita catches norths as well, looks like you just hit it flat Ott, but the waves look more consistent than I thought,or is that normal?? Sweet blog bro, I just reread it. This is family trip too and the waves look pretty perfect for wife and daughter. We definitely want to do the snorkeling boat tour to the islands, my girl would love this.
    Any comments on the Sayulita septic issues? I'm no stranger to MX and central america travel, is it any worse than anywhere else??

Not sure about getting around w/o car. We rented a sedan and I brought a soft rack.

Boats out of Punta Mita were not too expensive if you had a group. Not sure about out of Sayulita.

When we were down there (Feb) there was not much N swell at all. It was during a week were swell was not getting into SoCal, so pretty much relied on the small souths. Which actually hit a lot bigger than I expected.

Snorkeling on the island was awesome. My son loved it. He was two and half at the time, so generally not so difficult. It made me a bit nervous and I brought him in/out of the cave on my chest.

My father in law got a bit tossed in the cave and hit sea sick on the way back to the boat. He is not really an ocean person. Turns out beautiful tropical fish love human vomit. My son was very pleased.

just booked a february trip and stoked to see everything in this thread. does anyone have any recent updates to restaurants / board rentals / etc?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi