Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    You don't think 8" of height, moving the COG maybe 4" higher doesn't make a difference?
    In this context no.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    Is the Warden going to be your enduro racing weapon of choice next year? I'm thinking it makes way more sense for me as a one bike stable for the riding I do and I'm hoping to get one on order.
    I'm thinking so. I'd like to get a ride on one before pulling the trigger, or at least talk with Noel about the suspension feel. I'm hoping its closer to the Endo than Chili, or if not, get some beta on what can be done to a damper to get that lively feel.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream View Post
    How come rider height never comes into the equation?

Maybe it's simply because I suck and the big wheels help me, but at 6'3" I found a whole new level of confidence when I got on the wagon wheels, it just felt proportionate to my body on all fronts. I don't ever foresee going back.
    It does.
    However, I think the size factor will be more of an influence of keeping 26" around, at least in (overseas) markets,
    and in entry level through intermediate product where average heights are shorter.
    As it relates to larger wheel sizes, I think it comes down to rider style and preference.
    I am tall enough to also ride 29, but I have yet to throw my leg over one that I really connected with.
    27.5 on the OTOH....

I think it is conceivable that 27.5 will replace 26" on mid to upper level enthusiast level product in trail and all-mountain categories...
    With all of the component manufacturers tooling up and embracing 27.5 at an OEM level, I don't see it going away any time soon.

Man, I hope 26" isn't going extinct. After riding a hardtail 29er, I couldn't imagine going FS. At least not a long travel. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the 785mm bars with 70mm stem, maybe it's the fat rubber, but it's like riding a yacht and you really have to plan your corners, which I'm bad at. Don't see why everytime there is a new standard, someone has to come out with 1 in the middle. Ugh.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Man, I hope 26" isn't going extinct. After riding a hardtail 29er, I couldn't imagine going FS. At least not a long travel. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the 785mm bars with 70mm stem, maybe it's the fat rubber, but it's like riding a yacht and you really have to plan your corners, which I'm bad at. Don't see why everytime there is a new standard, someone has to come out with 1 in the middle. Ugh.
    There's your problem...

Really it should come down to whatever works best for you. All the wheel sizes are relevant and they each have their advantages and disadvantages too. Some 26, 27.5 and 29inch bikes suck. Some 26, 27.5 and 29inch bikes slay.

My point had more to do with rider height having an influence on relevance of a given wheel size. Like being tall makes a longer ski more appropriate. Except I'd say wheel size is more like ski width and shape. And frame size more like ski length.

Really, all this just makes me want to go ride my bike and have fun instead of banging out e-postulation on the keyboard.

maybe its the QR fork that is flexing as your try to drive the front wheel though a corner.......

There is a for sure an adjustment period and you kinda gotta ride a 29er like a man until the added input required becomes natural.

Have you set yourself up tubeless? I'd do that for sure. Rotational weight is an absolute factor with the big wheels and part of riding them well is getting those big wheels spinning, then they start working with you.

Maybe it's me, maybe it's the 785mm bars with 70mm stem, maybe it's the fat rubber, but it's like riding a yacht and you really have to plan your corners, which I'm bad at. Don't see why everytime there is a new standard, someone has to come out with 1 in the middle. Ugh.
    I had 2 rides on a 29er before my SS 29er, (now 3 rides on it), and I've never experienced what you're talking about. If anything for me it feels very close to the feel of all the 26" bikes I've ridden. It took me a long time to buy one, because it just wasn't a big deal, and I didn't think it was different enough to justify the purchase. I bet it's the tires and stem/bar combo for you.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Yeah, the stem bar combo slows down the steering, but it's super comfortable and doesn't really effect the lean too much if you throw your weight over with your hips.
    Might try narrower rubber. Spesh still does that exchange if you don't like it thing, right?
    FS 27.5 just seems redundant.
    No longer stuck.

Chop your bars down a little 750-720 seems to be big enough for trail bikes. Also, ride it more.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Yeah, the stem bar combo slows down the steering, but it's super comfortable and doesn't really effect the lean too much if you throw your weight over with your hips.
    Might try narrower rubber. Spesh still does that exchange if you don't like it thing, right?
    FS 27.5 just seems redundant.

WTF are you whining about? Your shitty bars? Your shitty stem? Your shitty tires?
    That you got a bike you don't like because it didn't instantly turn you into a better rider? That you no longer have the latest cool wheel size? That there is a learning phase on a new bike?

Don't forget the shitty weather. There's has been some light rain today.

Its still shocking how he just doesn't get shit.

785mm bars on a 70mm stem is ridiculous unless you've got ape arms. I'm 6' and have just over 6' reach arms. My trail bike has 745mm bars on a 50mm stem and it feels perfect. (Yeah, different wheel size and geometries will make things feel different. But I can't think of a time or place a combo like yours would be comfortable).

Either cut your bars shorter or get a way shorter stem (I'd do both) and you'll be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    I'm thinking so. I'd like to get a ride on one before pulling the trigger, or at least talk with Noel about the suspension feel. I'm hoping its closer to the Endo than Chili, or if not, get some beta on what can be done to a damper to get that lively feel.
    Don't think I'm going to be able to make it down this year but Noel or Kevin will probably be down in Hurricane for some Afterbike with OTE. Always a good time riding and BBQin down there with that clan. They usually have the show bikes with them so maybe you could get out for a pedal? I'll admit to being sold on the Chilcotin after a nice urban session around the shop on Noel's prototype a couple years back.

Unless you're talking about something other than your Nimble 9, this statement is just crazy talk. My Yelli runs down trails like a monkey on crack. Yacht? Fuck, mine's like a jetski.

Having a "wheel size debate" is stupid. Having a "wheel size discussion" is more interesting. The reality is that right now there are so many amazing bikes of every variety that if you get something that isn't working for you, flip it because there's a very high chance the next bike you get on will be awesome. Unless you let the wanker at your LBS tell you what you should be riding, in which case you'll almost always end up on something that compromises everything.

nothing to see here, move along
    watch out for snakes

Didn't you buy a medium N9? That's why you need the goofy stem / bar combo - your frame's too small.

They let me trade for narrower rubber. Waaaay quicker.
    No longer stuck.

785mm is totally fine for a trail bike... If an only if you are on 35-50mm stem, and used to slow steering stable bikes.

The whole point of wide bars is...wait for it... To slow down the steering.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

nah, it feels great.
    No longer stuck.

nah, it feels great.
    You just said it didn't corner well...

It does with the narrower tires.
    No longer stuck.

how do narrow tires corner better?

Less rotating mass. Sit flatter on the narrow rims.
    also, I lowered the stem and bars about half a cm and got rid of some excess steer tube.
    It's really just a matter of tweaking right now. There's no way I could ride a large frame. Everything feels pretty good.
    No longer stuck.