Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    I feel ya! Thanks everyone for the advice. Yeah you're right, no sense getting rid of the goats, but I also like to think of the ideal two-ski quiver because I also travel a good amount to chase the pow. As far as home mountains, I mainly ski Snowbird, Alta sometimes too. I absolutely love the goats when I travel to the PNW - they're easily the best heavy pow + tree ski I've ever been on. But when I'm in Utah, I do find myself wondering if the weight/stiffness/mega-splay is really the best design for lighter snow. Plenty of warm heavy pow days in Utah too, for the record. I love the goats and you'll never hear me complain about them, but in the quest for "new sensations on snow" I find myself wondering if a slightly lighter, poppier, even surfier pow ski would be more fun. Admittedly, Snowbird pow days get chopped up reallll quickly, so the ski has to have enough backbone to be fun skiing hard in that too. A big question for me is how the Protests handle these conditions? I've never been on a ski wider than 118cm, so I just don't know what that extra centimeter will equate to in chop.

Meanwhile, my 105mm daily driver (BMX 105HP) is fine (but not particularly exciting) in trenched up resort pow. They're stiff and pretty locked in. However, they're great crud busters, incredible on edge, and are particularly fun skiing hard and fast in the chalkier wind-scoured conditions we get between storms.

My main question for all the Protest owners is how happy you are with them on a 10inch+ inbounds pow day at a busy resort like Snowbird? I'm thinking Great Scott, Silver Fox, Baldy Hike, Mach Schnell, South Chute for those who know the mountain. Overkill? Stick in the 116 category?
    Having put a few days on my protests now, with a little time in chopped up conditions, I feel qualified to speak on this. Former LCC skier with 100s of days at the Bird, FWIW.

I'd stick with something a little more narrower with more backbone if it were me. As you said, the Bird gets chopped up quick, and speed is the name of the game, so while the protests are okay in chop, give me something with metal and a more traditional shape to smooth things out.

This seems like a fair to screaming deal

https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d...286098067.html

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    This seems like a fair to screaming deal

https://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/d...286098067.html
    Wonder if theyre custom -10 p tests or the 118 waist listed is a mistake. Base graphic together with that topsheet points to a custom build

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Wonder if theyre custom -10 p tests or the 118 waist listed is a mistake. Base graphic together with that topsheet points to a custom build

139 and 132 are correct for the standard width, I assume 118 is a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    139 and 132 are correct for the standard width, I assume 118 is a typo.
    Right, makes sense

It hasn't been a good snow year in Northern CO this season. Yesterday while skinning up I was reflecting that I have personally had great skiing almost every time I've gone out. Lucky timing, I thought. Then I crossed paths with three groups. I asked a split boarder who was out earlier than me how the snow was. He told me it was so so. Wind affected. Then I passed a group of 4 on my second lap. They were one and done because the snow was "too punchy." A third guy who was skiing with his dog told me "it would have been better yesterday."

I thought the snow was great. Yeah, it was a bit wind affected at tree line and there was a hint of a sun crust a few inches down in places, but it was surfy and fun. Come to think of it, I had some similar conversations with strangers about snow quality last week...

But then it occurred to me that I was on Protests and they were just on... skis. This season I've been taking out my Protests every time I go on a tour and anticipate less than great snow. And as a result I've only skied great snow. When you're skiing mostly untracked snow that just isn't very good, the Protests make it good. When you have snow with different consistencies across small changes in aspect or in and out of the shade of trees, the Protests just don't care. Still surfy and smooth. It's all good.

I prefer to bring my UL GPO's when I know there is fresh, dry pow, as they are so much lighter. But after a big wind event, or warmth/sun that is likely to degrade the snow there is no comparison. Protests rule. Hoping to add some UL Protests next season because they sure aren't light on the up.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    It hasn't been a good snow year in Northern CO this season. Yesterday while skinning up I was reflecting that I have personally had great skiing almost every time I've gone out. Lucky timing, I thought. Then I crossed paths with three groups. I asked a split boarder who was out earlier than me how the snow was. He told me it was so so. Wind affected. Then I passed a group of 4 on my second lap. They were one and done because the snow was "too punchy." A third guy who was skiing with his dog told me "it would have been better yesterday."

I thought the snow was great. Yeah, it was a bit wind affected at tree line and there was a hint of a sun crust a few inches down in places, but it was surfy and fun. Come to think of it, I had some similar conversations with strangers about snow quality last week...

But then it occurred to me that I was on Protests and they were just on... skis. This season I've been taking out my Protests every time I go on a tour and anticipate less than great snow. And as a result I've only skied great snow. When you're skiing mostly untracked snow that just isn't very good, the Protests make it good. When you have snow with different consistencies across small changes in aspect or in and out of the shade of trees, the Protests just don't care. Still surfy and smooth. It's all good.

I prefer to bring my UL GPO's when I know there is fresh, dry pow, as they are so much lighter. But after a big wind event, or warmth/sun that is likely to degrade the snow there is no comparison. Protests rule. Hoping to add some UL Protests next season because they sure aren't light on the up.
    Thats awesome and i can see that happening for sure

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

This has been exactly my experience. You will not regret getting them in an UL. I've said it before but I'll say it again.

Cold. Dead. Hands.

I've only skied mine a couple days but after skiing some funky upside down snow at Silverton a few weeks ago I'm planning to CAST-ify mine. I kept saying I'd swap out skis as things got funky but they just kept getting better. They almost make zipper crust invisible. Pretty wild.

Yep, these things still rule.

Triple protest day today at Stevens pass.

So good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210329_165315044.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	105.2 KB 
ID:	369618
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

They can take a few days to really click and use the yuge sweet spot. I really really prefer them mounted back 1.5 from the dimple, if you haven't or considered that.
    Guys, help a jong out. we are talking 1.5cm or about .60 inches back from the dimple correct. Just received my new 187's from Keith, as the close out deal was to good for me to say no to. Leaning against the wall of my office, they look so fun. Praying Winter comes back to Mammoth for a few days in the next few weeks or it will be a long summer and fall for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I can confirm from prior that tgr consensus is 1.5 cm back from rec. I did same. Helped that that also let me re-use some holes. I only have one day on them, was pretty deep day and they were great.

Thanks Tang
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I've skied mine on the line, and then remounted at about -1.2. 192s, FWIW. Didn't totally click for me on the line, moving back was a revelation.

I can't say that all the -1.5 talk hasn't gotten my attention, so yes I'm curious.

I've owned, skied and loved my Protests for 8 years or so. Always on the line, and never had tip dive. Two mounts - STH and Sollyfit.

Tell me I'd be a right idiot to mess with that - or should I add another set of holes.

Hard for me to say where someone else should mount them. I thinks its important to find the right spot for the individual though. I think with more splay itd be possible to move the mount for/aft , atleast a bit, but they would lose some precision which isnt all bad. Just such a great ski that i see some people having tip dive on the line and give up on an outstanding ski when, most likely, they could drill a few more holes at -1.5 and have their mind blown. Ftr i ski fairly centered/neutral but not super progressive. I like to shift from racer to forward pivoty as called for. I like my gpo at -1 , rx close to dimple, piste jib -1, bc/yeti/exp at dimple, concept at -1. Ive tried the gpo, protest on the dimple and the tip dive sucked and my rx at -1.2 work well but i want to move those forward for more tail support. I like fairly centered, or atleast more centered than skis of the past. Better balanced edge pressure and easier to pivot but tip dive throws all the advantages out the window. Find your spot and theyre the best. Whats a few more holes? Maybe im mistaken but i feel i could move the mount a touch either forward or backward on my bg without a problem and i think its because of the added splay. Ive gone on the line and -.5 on the bg and adapted right away Nd i think i could go +.5 too. Not a big move but just to give an example . The 1 cm variance would be no issue. Im glad i found my spot on the gpo and protests. I cant do without a gpo and i really miss my protest.

... Im glad i found my spot on the gpo and protests.
    Careful there, big feller ... we might have to flag this thread as NSFW

In all seriousness, I may have uncovered why I didn't bond with my Protests. They are customs, that I didn't spec out, and these 187s weighed 10.4 Lbs, which is heavy for a MAP/Enduro layup in this size.

I strongly suspect that they have a heavy core. I checked in with the mag I sold them too, and he had a similar reaction to them (a planky feel). We both bond nicely with 187 GPOs (my GPOs actually found their way to him through a subsequent intermediate sale, after I decided to down size to 182).

I've had too many misfires with customs, and this Spring, I'm leaning heavily toward an Ullr, with a standard camber (UL/Veneer/#3 for powder touring). I'll stay away from the compound camber, in order to play it safe.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

i've never tried concepts, but my first pair of Praxis were the original BPS ski that had compound camber, wasn't a fan.
    Sold the ski.

KISS method might be best here.
    Aggressive in my own mind

My 187 Protest are at -2. It was love at first turn, but I'm still learning some of the things they're capable of. I'm 5'10" 170 and would definitely size up for a resort ski, but I like 187 for touring. Also the flex is spot on. I'd go longer before going stiffer for sure. I think 192 would be spot on for me, but 196's would probably be fine too. I think stiffer would just be less fun without gaining much. I say this as someone who typically doesn't like soft or "playful" skis, and usually prefers the second longest available length.

I’ve had 3 pairs of protests (ha!). -1.75 is money, wasn’t a fan of the line. Had one pair with demo binders so got to play around with it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Careful there, big feller ... we might have to flag this thread as NSFW

In all seriousness, I may have uncovered why I didn't bond with my Protests. They are customs, that I didn't spec out, and these 187s weighed 10.4 Lbs, which is heavy for a MAP/Enduro layup in this size.

I strongly suspect that they have a heavy core. I checked in with the mag I sold them too, and he had a similar reaction to them (a planky feel). We both bond nicely with 187 GPOs (my GPOs actually found their way to him through a subsequent intermediate sale, after I decided to down size to 182).

I've had too many misfires with customs, and this Spring, I'm leaning heavily toward an Ullr, with a standard camber (UL/Veneer/#3 for powder touring). I'll stay away from the compound camber, in order to play it safe.

... Thom
    The ones you got from me? I thought they were map. They were pre heavy hitter core availibility i think.
    Ive had some misfires too. Didnt care for concepts or 9d8's or the effects of carbon. I prefered my 177 ptests over the 187 and id want 4 flex and heavy hitter. If there was a 182 option thatd be perfect. Like mount point , the task is finding whats right for the individual, i think. I agree on the kiss method. The custom option/sale is awesome but im going to not stray to far from where im at now, apart from adding veneer and hh core(gpo/protest). Veneer and hh seems to fit what i like in a ski.
    Wish there was a 104 waisted 178 pistejib. Miss that ski but id need a tweener length. 184 was too long for that usage and 102-104 would be preferable. Thats a ski that could have a 94/104/114 option. That design was capable everywhere

The ones you got from me? I thought they were map. They were pre heavy hitter core availibility i think.
    I got 'em off ebay. They had STH12s on them. I'm not sure of the year, but they were 187s (not the earlier 188s), with nylon top, stained glass trees graphics.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I got 'em off ebay. They had STH12s on them. I'm not sure of the year, but they were 187s (not the earlier 188s), with nylon top, stained glass trees graphics.

... Thom
    Oh ok, copy that. Vaguely recall them now

These are the exact conditions I am most curious how the Protest handles.
    Are people wishing for a narrower ski, or are they licking their lips getting ready to mob that kinda snow on the Protests?

Quote Originally Posted by jmills View Post