Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    They were referring to something else. Big changes are afoot at Incline Village.
    Something else other than not making custom skis at this time? Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Something else other than not making custom skis at this time? Hmm.
    Hah! No, that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
    I might be an anomaly... but I think the Renegade is pretty loose at speed. At least much more so than any other ski I own. Agree it won’t pivot at slow speeds.

I’m looking for something that will open up some new turn shapes in deep snow. Tempted by the current Powerworks Lotus 138 for a touring setup but not tempted by the price. I’m wondering if the protest might be loose enough and if Quiver killed a fun resort and touring setup.
    If you’re looking for new turn shapes w that quiver, the protest should fill in nicely. It’s designed to have the reverse side cut feel without the downsides. It’s a different feel than a full rockered ski w/o a ton of taper.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hi all, and Thank You to all the very helpful regulars in TGR.

A quick follow up on my question about Protests & sizing. I went a bit further than originally expected:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_104428.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	298896

Name:	IMG_20191022_104640.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	298897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_104502.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	298898

Looking forward to mounting Shifts on the 180 BCs and Attack 13s on the Protests. And love those poles!

Soooo a Dentist.......

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Soooo a Dentist.......
    Haha - No. Quasi-obsessive with just barely enough disposable income to overhaul this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
    Haha - No. Quasi-obsessive with just barely enough disposable income to overhaul this year.
    Right on man. Just fuggin withcha. Nice set up! Protest stoke!

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Right on man. Just fuggin withcha. Nice set up! Protest stoke!
    The sale prices pushed me over the line. And once I got rolling, it was hard to stop!

Shameless plug: If anyone is looking for a ProTest for this season and has smaller boots (~25.5), check out my FS thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...New-Warden-13s

Quote Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
    Hi all, and Thank You to all the very helpful regulars in TGR.

A quick follow up on my question about Protests & sizing. I went a bit further than originally expected:

Name:	IMG_20191022_104428.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	298896

Name:	IMG_20191022_104640.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	425.3 KB 
ID:	298897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191022_104502.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	230.3 KB 
ID:	298898

Looking forward to mounting Shifts on the 180 BCs and Attack 13s on the Protests. And love those poles!
    I was looking at the sale as well and the BC's topsheet really caught my eye.
    Beautiful.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Me too!! Good choices Gates, very well done indeed
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Does anyone else prefer the powderboards over the protest?

Quote Originally Posted by TGRBadass View Post
    I have to imagine that there are relatively few people that have spent extensive time on both to make such an opinion. And I'm guessing far more people have time on Protests because they seem like the safer bet.

Quote Originally Posted by TGRBadass View Post
    I’ve skied on protests a few seasons and had powderboards for a couple.

IMO the protest is 95% as good in waist deep (100% as good in a foot of fresh) and considerably better on groomers, run outs, and harder variable patches

Main reason to get powderboard is as a cat ski, or maybe only for deep deep days.

That’s not to say the powder birds are bad in the mentioned conditions, but compared to the protests I’d pick protest. Haven’t tried the current gen spooned base powderboard though, could elevate it over protests a bit more for deep

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Came from praxis is a kind way to put it...
    Sorry, what’s the implication here?

Probably has something to do with this:

Quote Originally Posted by peshastin_proud View Post
    Hey there, I’m one of the co-owners if Lithic and figured I should probably address your question directly... Essentially, we’re in our second year of making Lithic Skis but have been building skis in our space for the last three years. Previously, we were ski builders for Praxis Skis for about 5 years and made thousands of skis for those guys before breaking out on our own.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Probably has something to do with this:
    Got it, I suppose I read more into that emoji than was necessary. Thanks for the clarification. We hope everyone in TGR land is getting stoked for winter to arrive. It’s gonna be a good one!

IMO the protest is 95% as good in waist deep (100% as good in a foot of fresh) and considerably better on groomers, run outs, and harder variable patches

Main reason to get powderboard is as a cat ski, or maybe only for deep deep days.

That’s not to say the powder birds are bad in the mentioned conditions, but compared to the protests I’d pick protest. Haven’t tried the current gen spooned base powderboard though, could elevate it over protests a bit more for deep
    I would agree. I've spent a LOT of time on true R/R skis (spats, 138, powderboards) and I do love them as long as the turns are deep and fresh. As I get older Im finding that the R/R design is unecessarily tiring to manage inbounds. The protest is the best ski that I have found that will give you the playfulness and float of an R/R design but you can still ski normally when needed. If I still skied as much as i did in my 20s and 30s I probably wouldnt give a shit, but my legs love the protest. I skied a full week in Japan and I wasnt in the best shape. The protests were amazing and kept me charging the whole time. Sick ski. Very happy legs.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    You’re in good shape then. Enjoy the season.
    See if you can’t demo asym 189 to compliment down the line. You might feel stronger about the updated version.

Edit: don’t be afraid to mount the protest back for nw steep skiing. I ended up finding -2 working best for me here. -1.4 was fine too.
    I ended up mounting them at -1. I have ZERO racing background and ski from a neutral stance so i didnt want a ton of ski infront of me when trying to pivot and whip then around in the tight steep tech of Alpental. Stoked to try them out. I took a file to the edges from the unweighted contact points out, and then tried to smooth the transition from sharp AF to dull AF over a 2 inch section. im used to dull edges so im more worried about hookiness than i am about edge hold... especially for a pow ski.

Ill be skiing with a file in my pocket the first couple days to refine the rough garage detune as needed. Stoked for winter. hope i don't detonate too much ptex on the first couple days out.

192 rules the day again. Ridge line blower with open GS and trees with some low angle and groomers

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	306909

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	306910

Slash and repeat

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I currently own two pair of Protests (187 tele & 192 alpine) and formerly skied the 195 Powderboards (Pre-spoon). If you ski 3D snow exclusively the pows rock. Just like above, think cat skiing or Silverton type days. For anything else that requires a runout on hardpack I’ll take the ease of the Protest and is the reason I sold the powder boards. Jackson tram laps with high speed groomers for 1/3 of the vert finally had me selling the pows. Just crushes your legs if you’re already spent and can’t just stand on an edge confidently at 30mph.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    192 rules the day again. Ridge line blower with open GS and trees with some low angle and groomers

Name:	IMG_0941.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	306909

Name:	IMG_0944.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	306910

Slash and repeat

Makes my protests drool....

Anyone else’s knees hurt after a big day on protests? Seems specific to protests as I’ve skied similar conditions with my other skis without a problem. Imma be heartbroken if these are now “too big/wide”...

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Anyone else’s knees hurt after a big day on protests? Seems specific to protests as I’ve skied similar conditions with my other skis without a problem. Imma be heartbroken if these are now “too big/wide”...
    It’s the width. The torque of getting them up on edge when it’s not powder kills my knees and hips. I have to spend serious time on my IT bands after time on them. Great skis, just very powder specific.

I had an issue day 1 on them but it was driver error, like skibrd my IT bands were lit!!.....it’s all fall line skiing IMO until you get it in the soft/deep then the ski lights up in slarve, pivot and quickness. If you’re laying them over to get the small amount of side cut to really engage then an expectation on what the ski should do is warranted.

I draw a parallel to Mtn biking or dirtbiking when you hit the sand....just ease up on grip(in this case leg drive) and let it find its way through.

The protest loves to have the throttle smashed on it......Braaaaaaaaap!