Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My Hybrids (OG Protests) are full reverse. I think he stopped offering them like that. I like them.
    You could have them pressed CCR on a custom order.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    You could have them pressed CCR on a custom order.
    Gotcha. I wasn't sure if he kept that as an option. When I ordered, you just selected recurve or CCR. I definitely dig the CCR. Can still actually carve a bit. Maybe not on pure ice, but on just about anything you'd encounter on a day you're skiing them. But pivoting is that much higher.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

BC ccr would be a nice option too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Sorry to cunt up the Protest-thread, but would like a cambershot of these?

Thanks

Shameless plug ... someone buy my old Protests from @dub2 so I can sell him my Veneer GPOs.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...EET)?p=5874332
    Disclaimer: I haven't seen these skis in 15 months, so take the useage after that point into account.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 01-26-2020 at 12:49 AM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Have never skied anything with camber that is as quick in the trees as the protest. Genius.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

How have people detuned their protests? Mine ski great in everything from typical maritime pow to legitimate blower powder. But when i was skiing them yesterday through some nice heavy fresh snow i was catching edges like crazy to the point it was pretty frightening.

Should i just take a file to the edges to the point where normal sidecut starts? Or where the flexed rocker ends? What has worked for other folks?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    How have people detuned their protests? Mine ski great in everything from typical maritime pow to legitimate blower powder. But when i was skiing them yesterday through some nice heavy fresh snow i was catching edges like crazy to the point it was pretty frightening.

Should i just take a file to the edges to the point where normal sidecut starts?
    Yes! Beyond the side cut, both fore and aft, mine are dull AF. Like rounded over.
    Could you describe “catching edges” a little better? Skis wanting to do the splits? One ski taking off in opposite direction or go straight when wanting to turn? Some of that could be you pressuring the reverse sidecut in the tip instead of directly underfoot.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Yes! Beyond the side cut, both fore and aft, mine are dull AF. Like rounded over.
    Could you describe “catching edges” a little better? Skis wanting to do the splits? One ski taking off in opposite direction or go straight when wanting to turn? Some of that could be you pressuring the reverse sidecut in the tip instead of directly underfoot.
    Gonna take a file to them again tonight.

It was catching edges both ways. A ski would shoot off the to the outside, or would suddenly dart across the other ski. I dont think it was an issue with technique as i used to ski ARGs, and i played around with fore-aft pressuring on the Protests. But maybe im just hitting the learning curve. Honestly, im glad im seeing this issue now instead of on my upcoming cat trip and can dial them in for years of fun ahead.

It was catching edges both ways. A ski would shoot off the to the outside, or would suddenly dart across the other ski. I dont think it was an issue with technique as i used to ski ARGs, and i played around with fore-aft pressuring on the Protests. But maybe im just hitting the learning curve. Honestly, im glad im seeing this issue now instead of on my upcoming cat trip and can dial them in for years of fun ahead.
    Gotcha. Gummy the edges in the side cut as well as they come supa sharp. It’s a pow ski, don’t need to stinkin edges.
    I did give my edges underfoot a few swipes with a gummy stone. They still hook up just fine on soft groomers.

All Praxis come sharp, take all the edge off on the rocker sections, and most of the edge off on the camber section.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Actual quotes texted to me from the girlfriend, who is finally getting real time on her protests I gifted her awhile back:
    “Just got some face shots. All is right with the world”
    “These skis are the shiiiiiiit”
    “It is heavier esp. lower down but you’re right, those skis can handle it”
    “You can bounce on the snow! Like being on a trampoline”
    “They are truly a delight. I really want to ski them more”
    “I still can’t believe that a ski can be so fun / feel so very different”

❄️

Lucky man!

anyone find these super squirrely on hard stuff? I have Wootests (so -10mm I believe) and only tour on them, but sometimes I end up on a packed down hiking trail or a road during egress and they are very weird. Maybe I overly detuned them? Mounted on the line. It takes some concerted effort to put them on edge.

User error? Known limitation? It doesn't change how much I love the skis, but it is a little weird when you hit the last mile out after effortless floaty bliss in every type of 3d snow and all the sudden get loose.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    anyone find these super squirrely on hard stuff? I have Wootests (so -10mm I believe) and only tour on them, but sometimes I end up on a packed down hiking trail or a road during egress and they are very weird. Maybe I overly detuned them? Mounted on the line. It takes some concerted effort to put them on edge.

User error? Known limitation? It doesn't change how much I love the skis, but it is a little weird when you hit the last mile out after effortless floaty bliss in every type of 3d snow and all the sudden get loose.
    I never detune and just let the snow take the edge off on mine. No issue so far and I have Protest and wootest 1.0 to tour. But also -1

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    I never detune and just let the snow take the edge off on mine. No issue so far and I have Protest and wootest 1.0 to tour. But also -1
    man mine were like samurai sword sharp, I had to detune them... but perhaps I have gone overboard. I detuned the entire edge of the skis for like 15 mins maybe during a boring conference call...

IME they do not like running flat on hard pack. I've had some "oh-shit-almost-splits" moments when I forget that. As long as I'm throwing them on edge a bit and slowing things down it's been okay.

Known limitation.

if there’s even a bit of give in a groomer, they’re fine. on seriously hard groomers, i just sorta skid/slide shitty turns nonstop. not super fun but if i am on protests, idgaf about the groomer to get back to goods.

thanks gents, I'll leave my tune alone and just pay more attention when on giveless icy hiking trails. because let me tell you, I do love these skis

A few notes. These are not made for ice, lol. I detune the crap out of the taper sections and just a couple swipes with a gummy to the edge under foot when new. After that i don’t touch them.
    At first it took me a few times to find the edges on true firm/pack/ice but not anymore. Now I can stand on them with just slight heel pressure, more directly underfoot and realize im not gonna carve and expect the slide. Spooky on steep traverses that are really firm.
    Now soft groomers, just haul balls and enjoy a nice 40m carve.
    Mounted -1.5

I had a pair of 4 flex enduro/carbon/nylons a couple years ago that I enjoyed but didn't like them mounted on the line and I thought the carbon made them to chattery. Sold them for a veneer pair.

Last year I had a few days on some older 188s. No Idea why, but they were kind of miserable to ski. Had demo bindings on them, so I played with the mount point, and no matter what I did they felt like they had a balance point the size of a needle and if I got forward at all they'd tip dive and I'd do a summersault (keep in mind this was in 1-2ft of heavy PNW snow). Maybe they were old and too soft (torsionally and laterally). Maybe too short too.

Finally got on my 192, Enduro Veneer 3 Flex Protests this season. Mounted -1.5. Had an amazing day at A Basin on them, from a ~3ft storm cycle. In the morning I was the first person down the Beavers when they opened it for the first time that weekend - holly shit top 3 run of my (short) life. Just one amazing continuous tree/glade run in 2+ feet of untouched. Effortless float, turn on a dime, sooo good. They did great all day as it tracked out, from tight trees to when they opened Montezuma bowl and I got another couple hero runs in.

I had been debating if I would keep them based off of my two previous protests, but this weekend sealed the deal for sure. Despite owning two pairs of Cease and Desists, I think there is room for all of them in my quiver. I was able to A-B with the 19' C&D's and these are my thoughts:

Protests wins as a low angle tree ski. Nothing I've ever skied can pivot quite like them, especially at lower speeds in deep snow. In that regards, I definitely prefer them as a lighter density pow ski. It lets them get more into the snow without any over-the-handlebars feeling. That being said, with this version of the ski, I didn't really get that feeling - but it takes a bit of style adjustment to ski them and trust that the tips can support you. They really require a ball-of-foot driving style and aren't meant to get all into the tips of the skis. I also found that the more you try to put energy into turns and popping from turn to turn, the better they are and they literally act like trampolines. Can make any turn shape pretty effortlessly. They handle chop well, but really only when you carve through it rather than bases-flat over the top IMO. I found the skis to be squirrelly and a pain in the ass skiing them bases flat in chop or on groomers. Especially bumpy runouts.

Overall, I found the Cease and Desists to be more predictable/automatic. Damper layup definitely shines in chop and lets you charge over it or through it - not sensitive to bumpy run outs or groomers like the Protests. Definitely handle variable and hardpack better and in that way perhaps makes them a better resort ski. Tips can't sink and they enjoy some tip pressure which I really like - lets you get after it. They definitely want to go fast and are so fluid and quick when you do. I finally understood the RES magic this weekend, super quick and smooth to pivot and shut down. Low speed, low angle, I think their weight and design make them a little clumsier than the Protests.

Personally, I feel like the Protests are a superior untouched/cat skiing/lighter density/morning pow ski. I think the Cease and Desists are a better variable/afternoon/chop/day after the storm/PNW snow pow ski. Honestly on an ideal day I'd probably want to grab the protests in the morning then head to the car and swap out for Cease and Desists at lunch.

I haven't gotten on my 17' Cease and Desists that have the old super-rockered design, but I suspect it may bridge the gap between the Protests and current generation C&D. Time will tell.

That’s interesting about you 188’s Muggy. I love mine. Thought i would sell them after having custom 192’s made but glad I didn’t.

I wonder if I’m not loving my 196 4 flex vaneer/enduro/carbon because they are mounted on the line and not back 1-2cm.

What’s the general consensus? I’m pretty good on skis, not a small guy, but just can’t seem to love them like everyone else. If I’m 100% on my game, they are fine, but if I’m abt it off or or any bit lazy, I get my ass handed to me. I’ve got skis that are easier to ski when it’s crazy deep then my Protests and look for excuses to not get them out.

I do fine on them but they aren’t just easy like my old 196s, unknown flex and core, with a nylon top sheet. Is it the carbon that makes them too rigid? Or the flex is one too stiff?

I’ve got them for sale and on deep days look for any reason to grab something else. I took my 189 (but measure 193) K2 Pon2oons out last deep day and had a blast. Am I missing something with the Protests? They are detuned a lot, just can’t seem to make them work.

My 192 veneer/enduro/carbon 4 flex are mounted 1.5 back. i just traded away my C&Ds. protests just make me happier. c&ds definitely have a bit more float though.