Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Heck, my experience with Protests has been very different.

90% of the time, I've been on soft old mango Scarpa Maestrales, and even on variable NZ snow never needed more boot. Also, no bouncing from turn to turn, just big, long gliding turns, with slight rolling of the ankles modulating the slarve/carve factor. In shallow, heavy pow, though, you can RAIL these things like crazy.

Funny - and great! - that we get such different things out of the same ski.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

I’m starting to wonder if R/R skis, and skis that kind of ski like them (float underfoot, not so much in the very tip)..Are better skied not too long? If all the float is underfoot, and the tips can dive a little, would a longer ski make that worse?? I’m talking about slower speeds in flatter trees and tight stuff, which is where I prefer skis like this.

I never had any tip dive from 185 ARGs, maybe because the tips werent too far from the floaty underfoot part. I havent skied a longer version of this design, but have heard some people have tip dive issues from long ones..

Muggy, I get what you mean though. You gotta ski them a bit different from other pow skis. There was definitely a distinct balance point and technique on ARGs, that wasnt like other skis..

Edit: Protests are not R/R, IDK why I keep comparing them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Betelgeuse; 09-16-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Muggys boot description is very odd to me as I’ve skied mine with all the buckles undone with zero issue.

What 2018 or 2019 ski, outside of the Praxis line up, is most comparable to the Protest? Bubbas have been gone since 2016, and are not as close as I’m talking, with significantly more sidecut and tail rocker. Maybe they ski similarly, idk.. Is there anything closer?

Blister Gear review seems to say the performance in deep snow is comparable to Armada JJ/AKJJ, except better with less negatives in chop and crud. Which is great honestly. I absolutely love Armada skis in deeper, less tracked snow, but hated them (except thought Bubba and ARG were versatile for their widths, funny enough) anywhere else. They all float like a dream, and pivot amazingly for their lack for true R/R, but I’ve always considered them beefier Backcountry soft snow skis, rather than lighter resort skis.

If the ProTests take that ability to maneuver so easily like that in soft snow, but have more versatility and higher performance, as Blister says, then they could be a game changer for me

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post
    What 2018 or 2019 ski, outside of the Praxis line up, is most comparable to the Protest? Bubbas have been gone since 2016, and are not as close as I’m talking, with significantly more sidecut and tail rocker. Maybe they ski similarly, idk.. Is there anything closer?

Blister Gear review seems to say the performance in deep snow is comparable to Armada JJ/AKJJ, except better with less negatives in chop and crud. Which is great honestly. I absolutely love Armada skis in deeper, less tracked snow, but hated them (except thought Bubba and ARG were versatile for their widths, funny enough) anywhere else. They all float like a dream, and pivot amazingly for their lack for true R/R, but I’ve always considered them beefier Backcountry soft snow skis, rather than lighter resort skis.

If the ProTests take that ability to maneuver so easily like that in soft snow, but have more versatility and higher performance, as Blister says, then they could be a game changer for me

Can't tell you if they are still being made. I heard yes, but website hasnt been updated for 2 years. But skis that said 'sold out' last fall have a $$ in the heading. No ph# on website.
    But these are similarishClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180916_111423008.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	917.9 KB 
ID:	247718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20180916_111655774.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	797.1 KB 
ID:	247719

Quote Originally Posted by Betelgeuse View Post

Lithic Skis Arlo 120. https://www.lithicskis.com/collectio...ducts/arlo-120

Pretty sure the Lithic guys were once affiliated with Praxis. So they know a thing or two bout building skis.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Lithic Skis Arlo 120. https://www.lithicskis.com/collectio...ducts/arlo-120

Pretty sure the Lithic guys were once affiliated with Praxis. So they know a thing or two bout building skis.
    Yup. And if that’s too much tail rocker, the ramblin jack 120 has less.

Really tempted by the arlo 116 for pow touring. My steeples are heavy.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Yeah, the Arlo is probably closer to a Protest type approach; the Ramblin Jack has the mount point a bit further back, slightly more directional.

Gravity always wins...

Obviously different but I always thought the CnD was designed around the same design principles/thought process as the Protest. Arlo looks sexy AF but def looks different, kinda like a Protest railed a Goat

Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

https://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo...713308351.html

Quote Originally Posted by bskin View Post

You grabbin to compliment those Wrens?

Crossed my mind, but my son is in more need of skis for this season. Just thought it seemed like a decent deal if anyone was interested.

If anyone in anchorage wants to facilitate, I'd be all over those

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    If anyone in anchorage wants to facilitate, I'd be all over those
    I might be persuaded to help for a crisp high 5

I might be persuaded to help for a crisp high 5
    pm'd

I called on those for a friend. They're drilled 3x.

Pretty good deal on these ones.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53693087

Just posted my 196s for trade in the BST. Looking for some 192s.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Pretty good deal on these ones.

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/53693087
    Any salt lake mags wanna make my protest dreams come true? Ugly topsheet but hey

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I called on those for a friend. They're drilled 3x.
    Ah, bummer

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Any salt lake mags wanna make my protest dreams come true? Ugly topsheet but hey
    Topsheet aren't too bad in person, I have the same pair and everyone in the lift line seems to love them.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

Protest got some Blister love in their yearly review. Still holding strong after all these years against how many newer/modern skis?

Got some work of art veneer 192 from CascadeLuke today. Man these are going to be sweet.
    Had 187 carbon but these 192 flex 3 veneer seem like perfect balance. Can’t post pics due to error with app
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Hell ya! Glad to see you’re stoked. That’s a juicy pair for sure - they look great in person. Rip-it & stick-it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	960.9 KB 
ID:	252671

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Hell ya! Glad to see you’re stoked. That’s a juicy pair for sure - they look great in person. Rip-it & stick-it!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	960.9 KB 
ID:	252671
    Oohh those are pretty