Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Had a pair with that top sheet and top sheet material. Miss thise skis and that top sheet was the most durable praxis top sheet ive owned out of 10 ish pairs

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app
    I've actually never skied a reverse/reverse shape so I'm really stoked to give these a try. They are 187s and I probably would have went with something longer, but couldn't pass these up for what I paid.

Welcome. The protest kool aid is an amazing flavor. Be sure they are properly detuned and they will blow your mind. No sharpness from tip to the widest point in the sidecut. Use a file and just round it off. Makes them way more trustworthy in 3d snow. Best pow ski ever!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I've actually never skied a reverse/reverse shape so I'm really stoked to give these a try. They are 187s and I probably would have went with something longer, but couldn't pass these up for what I paid.
    Not R/R
    You'll have to go PB for that.
    Protest protos(called Hybrid) came w/ reverse camber

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Not R/R
    You'll have to go PB for that.
    Protest protos(called Hybrid) came w/ reverse camber
    Meant to say R/R type shape. Every fat ski I've skied is either much more traditional or short radius/pintail.

I've got a couple flavors of r/r.
    If next season happens and you have ~325bsl you are welcome to try mine. 195 PB's and ~190 PM Gear Splatulas. Splats are a true r/r(blown out-145uf-reproduction of the Spat) and PB's actually have a mm of sidecut just longer than a boot sole.
    My brother had the 196 version of your Protest. Not gonna say PB's are GOAT pow ski, but it is a very unique ride and is a better pow ski than Protest,imo. Not to mention breakable crust---THAT was an eye opener that I didn't expect(and the reason Down built the Countdown V back in the day)!

I also have a set of Hybrids. Gotta figure out what to mount them with as there was an extra set of binding holes that were not disclosed(know what you're selling stooodents) at the time of purchase

Has anyone ever asked Keith about a reverse camber Protest as a custom build? Is it available?
    Not buying this year so figured I'd ask hear rather than bother him.

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    Has anyone ever asked Keith about a reverse camber Protest as a custom build? Is it available?
    Original hybrid was this way. I would think he could do CCR. I found that the regular protest with camber is really quick. Would reverse camber make it better. Maybe but I guess I will try my hybrid this season and see. The protest is one of the best all time.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    At this point just get a pair of Powderboards. Not sure if they’re on the website anymore, but I’m sure he could do another pair

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

PowBoards and Protests are available for the custom presale which ends on the 30th of this month. CCR is available on all skis in the “most difficult custom option”. Personally I don’t know that the sidecut underfoot on the Protest would do much good on a CCR Protest, Im sure if I wanted a CCR version of the Protest I would absolutely grab the PowBoard (as others have already said). But I’m all for experimenting with the CCR versions, turns out I’m a fan, but the Pow Boards are essentially designed to be just that, or vice versa. Quite certain the Pow Board design will work A LOT better in just about any realistic scenario than a CCR Protest because of the way the full rocker works with the sidecut. Only problem with Protest (which IMHO is the perfect resort powder ski, also phenomenal in the BC) is you’ll always have PowBoard envy.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Attachment 332082

Just picked these up locally for a steal of a deal. 1 mount, pivots, shouldn't even have to remount.

Looking forward to giving these a go and seeing how I like them!
    Thank god someone bought those. They were on KSL for a while. I have way too many pow skis but have always wanted a pair of protests as I love pow boards.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    I also have a set of Hybrids. Gotta figure out what to mount them with as there was an extra set of binding holes that were not disclosed(know what you're selling stooodents) at the time of purchase
    This is what I got from Keith when I asked about where to mount mine

Not sure on the straight pull with tape. But what I'd do is find the skis exact center and go back 8 cm from that point for your boot center placement. That is were we would recommend on the latest version and should be good with that one as well. Or maybe go back another cm if you like that on your current Protest. Sounds like 101-102 would be the area you are looking at.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The shape of the ProTest absolutely lends itself to a stiffer build. The ski doesn’t need to depend on tip flex to plane up. All of this confirmed with Keith.
    +1 on confirmed with Keith in the message at the bottom.

I ordered a 192 3 flex last week then reread this thread a couple more times. I reached out to Keith about changing to a 4 flex and also PM’d 2FUNKY and Muggydude (you were unable to receive PMs), seeing their posts regarding 4 flex.
    I was sold on the 4 flex from the info 2FUNKY gave me in a PM. Thanks for the help and beers on me if you’re in Utah.
    The only reason I bought the Protest is I had reached out to Whyturn last week to ask him about another pow ski I was thinking about. He didn’t waste time in telling me to to forget that and buy a Protest with the sale still in place. When I told him buying skis right now wouldn’t make mrsjmills happy, he reminded me I have a job and it’s too good a deal to pass up (cleaned up from the actual conversation).

Keith’s message from yesterday
    “For flex on powder skis I see it going two ways for different types of skiers. A softer flex is more fun in pure powder, able to surface at a lower speed and generally milk powder turns with more fun. Or a stiffer flex if you want to over power or explode powder, skiing more aggressively, bigger turns and big shut downs of speed when need after an air or straight line. The Protest doesn't really need to flex a bunch to surface or float in powder so I kind of like skiing it on the stiffer side. The stock option of a 3 flex is in the middle, able to ski aggressively but still able to milk powder. But at 215lb I do think you'd be able to jump up to a 4 flex”

I've owned OG flex 3 and new flex 4 and the latest shape at flex 4 is incredible.
    That said, I wish I'd have gone 187s again.

My 4 flex Protests are so weird to me. I’m a big guy 215+, I have traditionally like stiff pow skis, but just something is up with my Protests. I might detune them again/more and move the mount point back 1-1.5cm and give them another shot. Maybe I’m grabbing them on the wrong days, idk, I just seem to always be deep in the back seat to get the tips up, and once I get going, if I move my weight forward at all, the tips dive.

jmills, no worries man. Can’t wait to hear a report this winter.

Skibird, mount them back -2-2.5 then give them a rip.

2F is a Protest stoke missionary and I’m looking forward to my confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    jmills, no worries man. Can’t wait to hear a report this winter.

Skibird, mount them back -2-2.5 then give them a rip.
    That far? I’ll check when I get home. This will be their third mount, so maybe 2-2.5 back will be the key.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Sorry jmills, didn’t see that. I think at your weight 4 flex is probably the right move. Pretty happy with my 3 flex after having a stiffer pair before, but I’m a lighter guy than you. Mount point is big, -1.5 to -2 is really a better spot for bigger guys and guys who like to pressure the tips more. Otherwise you’ll feel like you need to be in the back seat.

Even so, it’s important to remember this ski design isn’t meant to pressure the tips, float comes from underneath the foot. Stay centered and get some speed and they’re a missile. If you want to drive your shins, get cease and desists. I also prefer the protest in light Colorado snow, and the cease and desists in heavy pnw type snow. Light density lets you ski in the snow a lot more without any submarining/dragging feeling on protests - personally I don’t like them in wet snow

I am an absolute powder jong. Living 6 hours from Mammoth, I luck into a powder day 2-3 times a season. That said, lack of experience means my pow skilz suck. Many years ago I had powder boards and absolutely loved them until I had to get to a lift. It gets tracked out so fast that a true RR ski is tough to use at Mammoth. I have new 191 Lhasa Pows and for some reason, I don't have the confidence on them that I had on my old 196 pair.
    I really liked the pivot of the powder boards and being able to smear turns off the tail. I can't seem to do that on the Lhasa's??? So what to do?
    Splat is working with Keith to bring back 189 Kusula's or do I go with 192 or 196 Protests? Heavy at 220lbs. WWMD?
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Self Jupiter View Post
    2F is a Protest stoke missionary and I’m looking forward to my confirmation.
    Thou shalth protest thy glory of the protest from high on a mountain top.
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    That far? I’ll check when I get home. This will be their third mount, so maybe 2-2.5 back will be the key.
    My 188’s are -1.75 and my 192’s are -2. No dive and can ski centered or drive the tips some. The 192’s need speed to plane up, which they do very quickly.

Muggy: interesting that you don’t dig the protest in heavy snow as that is what they are designed to ski and I absolutely love them in PNW mank. Hell, skied after a foot dump that turned to rain and had an absolute blast as everyone else went home and I kept on shreddin like it was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I am an absolute powder jong. Living 6 hours from Mammoth, I luck into a powder day 2-3 times a season. That said, lack of experience means my pow skilz suck. Many years ago I had powder boards and absolutely loved them until I had to get to a lift. It gets tracked out so fast that a true RR ski is tough to use at Mammoth. I have new 191 Lhasa Pows and for some reason, I don't have the confidence on them that I had on my old 196 pair.
    I really liked the pivot of the powder boards and being able to smear turns off the tail. I can't seem to do that on the Lhasa's??? So what to do?
    Splat is working with Keith to bring back 189 Kusula's or do I go with 192 or 196 Protests? Heavy at 220lbs. WWMD?
    I’d say Protest, it’s truly easy to ski, even with my own personal issues it still dead easy. I took my Protests and only my Protests to Japan and didn’t have any issues. If the snow is soft, you can’t go wrong with them. This past winter I had an 18in of heavy on top of super light on ice day, spent most of the day bouncing off the ice on the bottom, and even they the Protests were fine. Would something else in my quiver have been better, yep, Pon2oons, Shiros or BMX 115, but the Protests we just fine.

The length question comes more down to height I think then weight. You get so much float out of the Protest, that way even at our weight, I’m similar to you weight wise, I think the 192 would be fine if you are under 6-2. I’m 6-4 and I even debated getting the 192s.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Sorry jmills, didn’t see that. I think at your weight 4 flex is probably the right move. Pretty happy with my 3 flex after having a stiffer pair before, but I’m a lighter guy than you. Mount point is big, -1.5 to -2 is really a better spot for bigger guys and guys who like to pressure the tips more. Otherwise you’ll feel like you need to be in the back seat.

Even so, it’s important to remember this ski design isn’t meant to pressure the tips, float comes from underneath the foot. Stay centered and get some speed and they’re a missile. If you want to drive your shins, get cease and desists. I also prefer the protest in light Colorado snow, and the cease and desists in heavy pnw type snow. Light density lets you ski in the snow a lot more without any submarining/dragging feeling on protests - personally I don’t like them in wet snow

This is exactly it. You don’t need to detune them. Just ski centered

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    This is exactly it. You don’t need to detune them. Just ski centered
    You most definitely need to detune the taper sections.

I disagree. I have a pair of powder boards and protests and haven’t detuned either