Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

In more open terrain I could easily see myself on a 196.

I also expected a leaning curve, nope, nada. I did learn some of the subtle nuances of the ski though. For the most part though, it was totally intuitive.

Welcome to the club. I didn't see the light till last year but I will never sell my 196s

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    In more open terrain I could easily see myself on a 196.

I also expected a leaning curve, nope, nada. I did learn some of the subtle nuances of the ski though. For the most part though, it was totally intuitive.
    My thoughts as well, almost zero learning curve, stoopid intuitive in the soft. I def had a learning curve on the run outs, but honestly after a couple days on em I grew to enjoy the ride back to lift, not confidence inspiring but still fun. Once again I cannot understate how great of a touring stick these are on the way down, handles all type of BC snow very well. That why the chx sounded so awesome... still does, interesting how the Q will compare with those offset edges vs the rocker/shape profile of the Protest???
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I got a pair of 177s last year for Xmas, as they were sitting in a nearby consignment shop (new!) and she got tired me ogling them. I was worried they'd be way too short (I'm 5'8", 140), but as a pow touring stick w/dynafits they are fucking perfect. Quick and deal with any 3D snow. Just a blast. Love them.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Praxis Protest - so easily surfed and pivoted that I don't even like fresh pow turns on my Bibbys anymore. **sigh**

A good problem to have.

Me wonders if the new Quixote surfs and pivots like the Protest, but with a big mountain feel.

Last edited by meter-man; 02-21-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    sproing!

nice, meter-man!

I've got the same graphic on my GPO's!

what bindings did you end up putting on those protests?
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by hoarhey View Post
    nice, meter-man!

I've got the same graphic on my GPO's!

what bindings did you end up putting on those protests?
    I put Sollyfits on there, but still haven't toured on them yet. They are unbelievable in any sort of fresh snow (less so in skied-out crud...unlike the Bibby), so I would imagine they would be amazing for a pow-touring stick. Eventually...I'd like to tour on these 187s only, and pick up a 196 for bottomless storm days and -- if dreams come true -- AK heli trips haha.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I put Sollyfits on there, but still haven't toured on them yet. They are unbelievable in any sort of fresh snow (less so in skied-out crud...unlike the Bibby), so I would imagine they would be amazing for a pow-touring stick. Eventually...I'd like to tour on these 187s only, and pick up a 196 for bottomless storm days and -- if dreams come true -- AK heli trips haha.
    There's also a 192 option. Love that ski. Most days this year I've been on my 187's. All I need is 4-5 inches and out they come. Soo fun

I love mine (187's) and have had a blast with them. They do seem to put a bit more stress on my knees, but I'm guessing any wide ski would. I had such a love affair with them I picked up a 177 for my wife who comes from a more traditional background and she HATED them in about 10-12" of heavy. It was like skiing mashed potatoes. She felt they were too much ski for her, and went back to the 175cm GPO's which are becoming her daily driver in almost all conditions but NE boilerplate. She's also a bit more precise/cautious and likes to turn a lot, whereas I enjoy opening it up a bit more to let the ski work.

I stuck out the day on my Protest, but did feel the heavy conditions combined with the surface area of the ski made the tight trees a bit of a handful. I switched off to my 180 BC's the following day with similar conditions and overall it was a much better experience.

Do I convince her it was the snow conditions, or do we just let that experiment slide and realize she's not into this style of ski?

My custom 187s with MAP and carbon Flex 3 got delivered last week. Stoked to A/B these to Lotus 124 pure3.

Also what is the consensus on mount point? Heard the line is a little forward..

Should have read the full thread first. Going with -1.5 or -2 I think.
    Last edited by skibass; 02-22-2017 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Stupidity

Quote Originally Posted by skibass View Post
    My custom 187s with MAP and carbon Flex 3 got delivered last week. Stoked to A/B these to Lotus 124 pure3.

Also what is the consensus on mount point? Heard the line is a little forward..

Should have read the full thread first. Going with -1.5 or -2 I think.
    If I were to do it again I'd go -1 but I gravitate more towards leaning into it and am clearly not a model of stellar form. I find I overcompensate and end up backseat on more centered mounts when the snow gets soft. Getting better at trusting the ski. It takes a ton to actually bury the tips on these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    I love mine (187's) and have had a blast with them. They do seem to put a bit more stress on my knees, but I'm guessing any wide ski would. I had such a love affair with them I picked up a 177 for my wife who comes from a more traditional background and she HATED them in about 10-12" of heavy. It was like skiing mashed potatoes. She felt they were too much ski for her, and went back to the 175cm GPO's which are becoming her daily driver in almost all conditions but NE boilerplate. She's also a bit more precise/cautious and likes to turn a lot, whereas I enjoy opening it up a bit more to let the ski work.

I stuck out the day on my Protest, but did feel the heavy conditions combined with the surface area of the ski made the tight trees a bit of a handful. I switched off to my 180 BC's the following day with similar conditions and overall it was a much better experience.

Do I convince her it was the snow conditions, or do we just let that experiment slide and realize she's not into this style of ski?
    Where do you live or ski normally?

If there's one lesson I've learned in marriage and skiing, that's not to push the wife...

You could probably se those 177's pretty easily if you had to
    Aggressive in my own mind

reality is probably a 50/50 split UT vs NE. With GPO's it's not like the Protest is needed, but when conditions are right, I just love mine so we figured it would be fun for her to try.

I'm sure we could ditch them fairly easily if we wanted, but they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Copy that on not forcing the issue. That's why the GPO's came back out at lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Breomonkey View Post
    reality is probably a 50/50 split UT vs NE. With GPO's it's not like the Protest is needed, but when conditions are right, I just love mine so we figured it would be fun for her to try.

I'm sure we could ditch them fairly easily if we wanted, but they're not going anywhere anytime soon. Copy that on not forcing the issue. That's why the GPO's came back out at lunchtime.
    They can take a few days to really click and use the yuge sweet spot. I really really prefer them mounted back 1.5 from the dimple, if you haven't or considered that. One fresh line or long soft corn run can change things too

bumping this thread since Praxis is having their custom ski sale. I have Billy Goats as a resort powder ski and really don't "need" Protests, but they've always captured my eye since Praxis first came out with them. would like to hear more testimonies so I can justify getting them. 5'8" and 155lbs and eyeing the 187. right length?

Quote Originally Posted by johnykim View Post
    bumping this thread since Praxis is having their custom ski sale. I have Billy Goats as a resort powder ski and really don't "need" Protests, but they've always captured my eye since Praxis first came out with them. would like to hear more testimonies so I can justify getting them. 5'8" and 155lbs and eyeing the 187. right length?
    The Protest is more pivoty than the BG. Protest floats better at low speeds. However the tip of the BG can be driven harder. BG is way better in chop and crud.

I put Guardians on my Protests thinking that I'd use them for a mix of big resort days, sled skiing, and slackcountry touring. In reality I never ski them inbounds. Inbounds means you can get on steeper pitches on deep days and the BG floats just fine once up to speed, and the BG are more fun once it gets cut up a little. They are my go-to sled ski and I occasionally take them for shorter skins, but I do wish I could drive the tips more. They're still the best ski I own for skiing low-angle pow (ie, high danger days in the backcountry).

I've contemplated selling my pair and ordering a UL pair with tech bindings instead.

Length - I'm 5'9" 145lb, love the 186 BG, and am on the 187 Protest. While not too short, I'd seriously consider stepping up to the 192 - mostly in hopes that I could drive them a little harder.

Wondering on flex for Protests. Go for 4 if used to a stiffer ski (currently riding Bibby's)? Or is the standard flex pretty dialled for ~180lb skiers?
    Thinking of 187 UL layup, Flex 4 with Beast 14 for an inbounds/touring deep day rig.

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    Wondering on flex for Protests. Go for 4 if used to a stiffer ski (currently riding Bibby's)? Or is the standard flex pretty dialled for ~180lb skiers?
    Thinking of 187 UL layup, Flex 4 with Beast 14 for an inbounds/touring deep day rig.
    At 160ish lbs I'm fine with 3 flex on tat ski(my gpo's ul and map are 4). You'd probably like 4. Because inbounds I'd say skip the ul. Map(enduro)C with veneer would be my choice for your usage. I've been thinking/dreaming of that setup with beast 14 or kingpin

I'm 5'9 175 lbs and pretty happy with 192s. If I was your size Johny I'd probably go 187. I have never felt the 192 was unwieldy in even tight low angle trees. Very rarely the actual length has gotten in the way throwing sideways in tight trees.

And PT enduro/carbon/Veneer seems like the best layup for your usage. Doesn't seem like people like the UL unless it's in very consistent/bc snow. I like the 3 flex on mine, personally don't think they need the stiffer flex as a pow ski but that's me

Cheers for that. I'll have to do some reading about the veneer. Even with the sale, these are getting pricy in CAD!

Quote Originally Posted by P.T. View Post
    Cheers for that. I'll have to do some reading about the veneer. Even with the sale, these are getting pricy in CAD!
    I get you on our Canadian pesos but I still do it, especially when you consider they last atleast 4x as long as the big companies products. That and moooar skis

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    ... and moooar skis
    Ha. Always

I posted in the Praxis thread but I figure a few more Protest owners might follow this thread - debating where to mount my 192 Enduro veneer protests (#3 Flex). My last pair of 192s were on the line, which were good, but in deep powder I felt a little forward, and occasionally felt like I had too much tail in tight trees. Thinking between -1 and -2. Should I split the difference and go -1.5?

Seems like a lot of guys on this thread like the -1.5 mount

I have gen2 188's. They are -1.5 I believe. 102.5 from the tip.
    I'm debating on a 192 and I was going to mount them -1.5. For my style I like them back just a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I have gen2 188's. They are -1.5 I believe. 102.5 from the tip.
    I'm debating on a 192 and I was going to mount them -1.5. For my style I like them back just a touch.

I have old 188s. Originally at -101 from tip, moved to -102 after a couple of seasons and prefer it.