Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Anyone else’s knees hurt after a big day on protests? Seems specific to protests as I’ve skied similar conditions with my other skis without a problem. Imma be heartbroken if these are now “too big/wide”...
    You might need to 'loosen' them up. Try slightly more bevel on your base edge.

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    You might need to 'loosen' them up. Try slightly more bevel on your base edge.
    Mine came with almost no base bevel. A better tune improved them immensely.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

I spent the first part if the day bouncing through the ~24” of Mt Hood fluff on my 192s. Admiring them on the rides up, admiring them on the rides down.

Several times people on the lift and in the line commented on them. “Those are awesome,” they’d say. “Thanks!” I’d respond. “Are they actually made of bamboo?” “I think these are maple, ash, and paulownia!” “Wow, they totally look like bamboo.” Oh... panda poles. I clear coated them this summer to seal all the gashes, and now they absolutely glisten. People won’t leave me alone about them.

Could be psychosomatic, but I do find the 192s a little easier to swing around, even though they weigh in about the same as the 196s. I mounted bindings 1.5cm back from the dot and really like them there.

They shoosh through low angle pow and boof through high angle pow. Stopping frequently to regroup with my kids in the trees, I thought they were fine at all speeds.

Glad you’re enjoying them more than I did!

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    I spent the first part if the day bouncing through the ~24” of Mt Hood fluff on my 192s. Admiring them on the rides up, admiring them on the rides down.

Several times people on the lift and in the line commented on them. “Those are awesome,” they’d say. “Thanks!” I’d respond. “Are they actually made of bamboo?” “I think these are maple, ash, and paulownia!” “Wow, they totally look like bamboo.” Oh... panda poles. I clear coated them this summer to seal all the gashes, and now they absolutely glisten. People won’t leave me alone about them.

Could be psychosomatic, but I do find the 192s a little easier to swing around, even though they weigh in about the same as the 196s. I mounted bindings 1.5cm back from the dot and really like them there.

They shoosh through low angle pow and boof through high angle pow. Stopping frequently to regroup with my kids in the trees, I thought they were fine at all speeds.
    I'm curious how the Protests compare to those Boneshakers you picked up, in your estimation.

I'm curious how the Protests compare to those Boneshakers you picked up, in your estimation.
    I haven’t been out on them yet, but I’ll check in later this week. It’s snowing cats and hogs right now.

Protests.
    They shoosh AND boof.

Really, really cool.
    "Kids today, all they talk about is big air. I say, stay on the mountain, that's where the action is. If you want big air, pull my finger." ~Smooth Johnson~

Nice lucknau! Thats where i liked my protests, @-1.5. I miss not having a pair

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Life achievement unlocked. Today, the 3rd straight killer pow day in a row skiing my protests, I’m standing at mountain top scoping a line and I get a call out - “nice skis man!” I look up and it’s the conceiver himself. Tabke skis away as I can barely say fast enough - “thanks for making them!”

191 Head Motorhead Boneshaker
    Length: 189 cm (straight pull)
    Sidecut: 146-125-135
    Radius: 32.3 m
    Mass: Left: 2628 g, Right: 2608 g
    Mount: Tyrolia Attack Demo at +1 cm from Freeride line

Today was a combo day of wind packed powder and waist deep fluffy tree snow. I can’t think of how to describe these, except as a fat all mountain ripper.

Super intuitive and versatile, they ski like I think a ski should ski. They bust crud great, can really lay a trench, and they have excellent flotation. I set the bindings 1cm forward of the Freeride line, and liked that spot a lot.

I think they pretty much outclass the Protest and BG on variable (non powder) snow. In comparison to the Protest, the Boneshaker just feels like more of an all around ski. I expected the Boneshaker to be more work to maneuver, because it has about twice the camber of the 192 Protest, but I see now that the tail rocker starts earlier on them, and the tail splay is greater. For turnability I think this levels the playing field vs. the Protest’s pin tail and flatter camber. The feel is definitely different in deep snow. On the protest I always have this feeling of bouncing and slashing, sort of swimming from turn to turn, I know not everyone gets that from it, but I do. In deep snow the Boneshaker feels more _______. Normal? Traditional? It’s not a difficult ski to acclimatize to. There’s no code to break or secret to unlock. In light of this characterization I feel I should say it’s not a boring ski to be on. Definitely an enabler. Some skis give me an instant terror of being airborne, and the Boneshaker is the opposite.

It could easily be a Maritime daily driver, despite (or maybe because of) being 125 mm underfoot. I agree with you: I wish Head still made this ski. More people should get to ski it.

I’m here to say I skied just TWO damn days on my new-to-me 187 protests in Japan this year

Big old dump of 3 ft. At Rusutsu over New Years, and they felt like the most intuitive deep powder ski I’ve ever been on. Mounted mine at -1cm.

I also had a base grind and structure done before skiing these in Japan, and it dramatically reduced the effort needed to bang around on these bad boys.

We jumped off trees for 48 hrs... and now the powder gods have forsaken us.

I’m taking mine out today since no one wants to buy them

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skied my custom 192 4 flex Protesteses two of the last three days. Good lord I wish we would get 10” of new every day so I could ski them every day.
    They are just so damn fun and easy to ski.
    We received 20” of new sunday night sitting on top of 15” from the day before. Mind blowing.
    Float like mad and so fast in pow. I just love how they accelerate through and out of turns with zero plow effect. If ya wanna dump speed, either flick them sideways or pressure the cuff and weight the front of the ski going into a turn then let off to zoom your way to the next turn.
    Slither like a snake through tight trees then mash the gas and let them run when it opens up knowing you can shut them down if needed.
    Wide open pow, just pin it and make 2 giant surfy turns while being completely relaxed with a giant smile plastered on yo face.
    I went 4 flex since I also own 188’s which are 3 flex, such a fun ski, just as killer in fresh but gets tossed and shows signs of the tips pushing in chop, hate that. The 4 flex completely eliminated that. Tip them over and stand on them in soft chop and get sum. Are they as good as the BG or my also Loved Lhasa in chop, close but not as good. But better in pow.
    /Protest gush
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2022.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	310578

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skied my custom 192 4 flex Protesteses two of the last three days. Good lord I wish we would get 10” of new every day so I could ski them every day.
    They are just so damn fun and easy to ski.
    We received 20” of new sunday night sitting on top of 15” from the day before. Mind blowing.
    Float like mad and so fast in pow. I just love how they accelerate through and out of turns with zero plow effect. If ya wanna dump speed, either flick them sideways or pressure the cuff and weight the front of the ski going into a turn then let off to zoom your way to the next turn.
    Slither like a snake through tight trees then mash the gas and let them run when it opens up knowing you can shut them down if needed.
    Wide open pow, just pin it and make 2 giant surfy turns while being completely relaxed with a giant smile plastered on yo face.
    I went 4 flex since I also own 188’s which are 3 flex, such a fun ski, just as killer in fresh but gets tossed and shows signs of the tips pushing in chop, hate that. The 4 flex completely eliminated that. Tip them over and stand on them in soft chop and get sum. Are they as good as the BG or my also Loved Lhasa in chop, close but not as good. But better in pow.
    /Protest gush

Name:	IMG_2022.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	310578

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    191 Head Motorhead Boneshaker
    Sorry to cunt up the Protest-thread, but would like a cambershot of these?

So protest is 2nd ski from top and just below orange sidewalll ski. Camber is full length to contact points below rocker. Very mild and maybe 3-5 mills

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	310729

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I rode NW_Skier's 187 flex 4 ProTests 2 days ago and had an absolute blast on them. Such a good ski. The 4 flex definitely gave them more of a backbone than my old 192 flex 3s. NW_Skier rode them yesterday and I definitely had some ProTest envy yesterday.

Name:  VideoCapture_20200114-175723.jpeg
Views: 785
Size:  24.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    So protest is 2nd ski from top and just below orange sidewalll ski. Camber is full length to contact points below rocker. Very mild and maybe 3-5 mills

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	310729

I’ll get a picture of mine later. Mine have a LOT more camber then that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I rode NW_Skier's 187 flex 4 ProTests 2 days ago and had an absolute blast on them. Such a good ski. The 4 flex definitely gave them more of a backbone than my old 192 flex 3s. NW_Skier rode them yesterday and I definitely had some ProTest envy yesterday.

Name:  VideoCapture_20200114-175723.jpeg
Views: 785
Size:  24.2 KB
    Nice mang!
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I’ll get a picture of mine later. Mine have a LOT more camber then that.

Seriously? Damn. I’ll try to post pics of mine but they’re maybe 2-3mm.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Sorry to cunt up the Protest-thread, but would like a cambershot of these?
    My protests are about 2-3mm ski to ski and Boneshakers are 5-6mm. I’ll take a picture of both tonight if I can remember.

3mm camber on my Protests.

I don't need any more camber, I need more deep days to take them out!

Protests were very cool at Alta on Sunday. First really deep day on them. These were my Carbon Flex 4s with a custom top sheet and Birdseye Maple. God I love this ski.

Name:	Alta.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	310757

Lol that's my setup, 188 protests with g3 onyx and 191 boneshakers with dukes. Its been puking at whitewater Nelson lately skiing super deep and fluffy; protests are where its at, so buttery! Boneshakers are like a fat pow GS/SG ski, tip rocker is really glued to the snow and can drive them without much fresh. going through cutup or rough snow the dense wood core just absorbs it and they flex well, rip harder. sometimes get bogged down in deep snow or bottom feeding, mounting back really helped. on freeride line or -1 from there. when you are pinning it fall line its like you can slarve the steepest turns a bit where you are carving, break it loose. Might outshine the protest here, for big mountain. but pillow lines, technical protest for sure. Getting less into chargers liking more of a light technical feel, still ripping. Hoji might be where its at. I have ravens for tele are like a dream mini protest.

just picked up old 190 faction royals they are a fun pow ski too for sure. boneshaker rips a little harder, more dialed.

My Hybrids (OG Protests) are full reverse. I think he stopped offering them like that. I like them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.