Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Thinking of dumping the billy goat for the protest. Am I crazy?

(I have a 105mm daily driver)
    I Have both. Dump your dd for goats AND pick up protests. Win-win.

Failing that, goats are more versatile/less work on any day under, say, 12", particularly when things get tracked. And they're still passable on double overhead days.

What's your use case? If it's resort pow, what percentage of the day do you get to ski fresh untracked vs cut up and tracked out? I almost never bring mine into the resort but tour on them almost every time I go out, which is at least once a week. I bring them out in resort in Whistler maybe twice a year. I've got other skis that cover a whole pow day better. Mine are UL core but those choices are largely based on what I perceive as shape characteristics. They're amazing for the first two hours of the day but after that... ymmv.

Think there’s A LOT of variables that factor into a decision like that, personally, I see room in the quiver for both. Guess it depends where you ski more than anything, do you get a lot of pow days? Does the snow get cut up super quickly? Are you super stoked on your DD on all but the deep days? Are you trying to keep the quiver to a minimum?
    If you live somewhere the pow turns to chop in a couple hours and the storms aren’t huge or often I’d certainly keep the Goat, their pow performance is not Protest stellar, but still stellar, their chop/crud busting ability is top notch, and they exceed the Protest’s versatility for sure.
    I’ve owned and used both, and ended up selling my Goats (which I should’ve just kept) but, that spot is now filled by the Quixote, which IMPO is more versatile than the Goat so it fits better for me in that spot because I have the Protest. I will always have something in that soft snow charger spot (i.e. Goat, Q, Cohen... you get the point), but if I could only have one or the other, I’d keep the Goat. If I were in your spot and already owned the Goat, I’d just keep em and buy some Protests
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Yes n+1. Def keep the goats and get some protests. Also protests are the rig when you get an overnight dump and then it turns to rain at noon halfway up the lift. That extra surface area gave me the hill to myself more than a few times. Stacking fresh lines on the best pitches when everyone left because their 116 waist skis went deeper in the heavy wet pow and they couldnt lift the ski to turn, they just submarined more. Ptest was fun af. Add some gpo's or rx' too for the pow days when you feel the bottom and you need a fresh pow scalpel

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I almost never bring mine into the resort but tour on them almost every time I go out, which is at least once a week. I bring them out in resort in Whistler maybe twice a year. I've got other skis that cover a whole pow day better. Mine are UL core but those choices are largely based on what I perceive as shape characteristics. They're amazing for the first two hours of the day but after that... ymmv.
    I have this fantasy of getting a ul+veneer protest someday for exactly that: touring and like one magic resort day a year. Do you find the UL handles OK? Worth it for the weight savings? I mean given that it's pretty much exclusively for untracked pow.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I have this fantasy of getting a ul+veneer protest someday for exactly that: touring and like one magic resort day a year. Do you find the UL handles OK? Worth it for the weight savings? I mean given that it's pretty much exclusively for untracked pow.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    I seem to be an outlier in that I think the protest skis just fine on the line and I think UL is a no brainer if a ski's primary use is touring. I got my yetis with the Enduro core as that ski is filling the spring garbage spot for me and I regret it to no end. Even at 50/50 I would probably go UL so long as it also has veneer.

And yes, it is hugely worth it on a ski the size of the protest.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I seem to be an outlier in that I think the protest skis just fine on the line and I think UL is a no brainer if a ski's primary use is touring.
    I’m wit cha man, but agree we are definitely outliers
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Put me in the on the line crowd to. But I generally prefer progressive mounts, but on stiff directional skis. So guess I’m just used to being forward.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

As long as it works for you. Thats all that matters. Mind blowing ski if you mount them in the right place for yourself. I move the mount a cm and its totally different. Same with gpo's. Im at -1 on those, which is still fairly progressive mount point, and i can't ski them on the dimple.
    I keep thinking id like to get an rx in the custom sale and get the camber knocked down to 2 or 3 mm in hopes that that also gives the tip/tail rocker "slightly" more splay and id mount them on the dimple. Id hate to lose the precision of the ski but im guessing it might be easier to move the mount around a touch.
    I could mount my pows over a wide range and they crushed everything

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Got out for the first time today on some stock 192s I picked up last season. Mounted -2cm. Took me about 3 seconds to fall in love. Insanity.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I remember that feeling my first pow day on my 196s. Congrats and welcome to the fan club

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bry View Post
    Got out for the first time today on some stock 192s I picked up last season. Mounted -2cm. Took me about 3 seconds to fall in love. Insanity.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Sick!

I always keep thinking about getting another pair. My pair probably had a bad tune which was what turned me off it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Sick!

I always keep thinking about getting another pair. My pair probably had a bad tune which was what turned me off it.
    Uh... How so? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Uh... How so? Asking for a friend.
    You still have them right? I’m not sure if the tune is off, I just really disliked the ski on hard snow, thinking maybe if I increased the base bevel to 1.5 I could enjoy them more or if I really aggressively detuned them.

If then end up needing a grind let me know and I’ll help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    You still have them right? I’m not sure if the tune is off, I just really disliked the ski on hard snow, thinking maybe if I increased the base bevel to 1.5 I could enjoy them more or if I really aggressively detuned them.

If then end up needing a grind let me know and I’ll help you out.
    Hah. Oh Jeez. Nah, we’re good. I was just messing with ya. Honestly, to date I’ve only skied them on soft snow, and they’ve been awesome. If they end up feeling weird I guess I’ll mess with the tune, but seriously, no worries.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Finally got out on the 187s I picked up this summer. Took about 3 turns in the trees to know I was gonna like em. So fun. It was pretty firm under 18" of blower and they felt a little harsh when bottoming out, but I think that was conditions more than the ski.

Pains me but I think I’m going to sell my 192 Enduro Veneer 3+ Flex protests. Only used 4 days. I love them, but have too many powder skis and need to downsize my quiver for moving into a van.

Had a great last day on them today at A Basin, such a versatile powder ski.

Will post a for sale thread later. If anyone is interested message me.

196 med flex w/ carbon = giant trampolines for mobbing through tress and playing mini golf on storm days.

^nice graphics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3881.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	676.9 KB 
ID:	367773

Wow, the hype about these things in funky upside down, sun effected, etc snow is real. Slayed plenty of zipper crust at Silverton today just like it was pow. I'm a fan.

Now on their 4th mount... REBORN! 187 carbon/MAP. 13/14

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Pains me but I think I’m going to sell my 192 Enduro Veneer 3+ Flex protests. Only used 4 days. I love them, but have too many powder skis and need to downsize my quiver for moving into a van.

Had a great last day on them today at A Basin, such a versatile powder ski.

Will post a for sale thread later. If anyone is interested message me.

PM'd

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

^ Replied. FS thread if anyone is interested

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...d.php?t=341285

Name:	IMG_9170.JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	281.3 KB 
ID:	367954

^^^Wow, those are pretty damn gorgeous
    On the other end, I resurrected some OG protests by adding more BF insert holes to these things! Was able to harvest front toe holes, and most holes are in odd tele places. But still, these will be pow/soft day only skis as I think I'm pushing the swiss cheese limits
    (Somehow this pic appears to being loading non-sideways... amazing)

Name:	praxis protest.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	988.2 KB 
ID:	368011

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Think there’s A LOT of variables that factor into a decision like that, personally, I see room in the quiver for both. Guess it depends where you ski more than anything, do you get a lot of pow days? Does the snow get cut up super quickly? Are you super stoked on your DD on all but the deep days? Are you trying to keep the quiver to a minimum?
    If you live somewhere the pow turns to chop in a couple hours and the storms aren’t huge or often I’d certainly keep the Goat, their pow performance is not Protest stellar, but still stellar, their chop/crud busting ability is top notch, and they exceed the Protest’s versatility for sure.
    I’ve owned and used both, and ended up selling my Goats (which I should’ve just kept) but, that spot is now filled by the Quixote, which IMPO is more versatile than the Goat so it fits better for me in that spot because I have the Protest. I will always have something in that soft snow charger spot (i.e. Goat, Q, Cohen... you get the point), but if I could only have one or the other, I’d keep the Goat. If I were in your spot and already owned the Goat, I’d just keep em and buy some Protests
    I feel ya! Thanks everyone for the advice. As much as I'd love to own more, I try to stick to a two-ski quiver because I travel a good amount to chase the pow. As far as home mountains, I mainly ski Snowbird, Alta sometimes too. I absolutely loved the goats when I traveled to the PNW - they're easily the best heavy pow + tree ski I've ever been on. But in Utah, I found myself wondering if the weight/stiffness/mega-splay of the goat was really the best design for lighter snow. I love the goats and you'll never hear me complain about them, but in the quest for "new sensations on snow" I find myself wondering if a slightly lighter, poppier, even surfier pow ski would be more fun. Admittedly, Snowbird pow days get chopped up reallll quickly, so the ski has to have enough backbone to be fun skiing hard in that too. A big question for me is how the Protests handle these conditions? I've never been on a ski wider than 118cm, so I just don't know what that extra centimeter will equate to in chop.

Meanwhile, my 105mm daily driver (BMX 105HP) is fine (but not particularly exciting) in trenched up resort pow. They're stiff and pretty locked in. However, they really shine in crud, they're incredible on edge, and they're particularly fun skiing hard and fast in the chalkier wind-scoured conditions we get between storms.

My main question for all the Protest owners is how happy you are with them on a 8inch+ inbounds pow day at a busy resort like Snowbird? I'm thinking Great Scott, Silver Fox, Baldy Hike, Mach Schnell, South Chute for those who know the mountain. Overkill? Stick in the 116 category? Or how much does it have to snow for you to prefer them to a 116-ski like the goat?
    Last edited by VON; 03-20-2021 at 10:51 AM.