Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    They do ski short due to their design. At your stats the 187 would be perfect. On ze line if you like more center mount/feel or back as much as -2 if you prefer a more traditional stance/feel.

especially when you get them into deep snow and open areas and can carry some speed. don't be afraid of the 187.

Get the 187. They have a ton of rocker and near reverse sidecut design allows them to pivot much quicker than a traditional ski would.

That means I need a 196 to complement my 192

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    That means I need a 196 to complement my 192

Duh!

Smile

That's really helpful. Thanks all. Now all that is left is to obsess over the choice between buying one of the stock pairs now, or waiting and hoping for ability to build a custom veneer pair before January.

Check your email for a discount code.

I'm with everyone above - I've got 'em in a 192, and they are the longest skis in my quiver by a little bit (everything else is 184-189) but that works for me (6', 165lb, strong directional skier).

And while the veneers are super sexy (love mine!) if I was in the market, I'd have a hard time turning the current sale down.

Check main thread for details but i wouldn't bet on the ability to build a custom anything in the immediate future. Looks like Keith is shifting his business model.

Quote Originally Posted by Gate11 View Post
    First post, and I'm new to Praxis. Do Protests ski long or short? I don't hear anyone here talk about 177 Protests. Are they too short for most people?.
    You already got the right answer, but for posterity in this thread: you have 30 pounds on me, but I find the 177 Protest to be a goddamned dream machine. The first year I had them I only toured on dynafits and they’re the perfect length for that use (tree pow) for me. Last year, I said fuck it and put alpine clamps on the sollyfits and did a few lift days with alpine boots with them and had a blast. Yes, you have to stay relatively centered, but nothing crazy.

I definitely had moments where I wanted the next size up, but 90% of the time I was too busy smiling my face off to even think about it. Far and away the most fun ski I’ve been on.

I pulled the trigger yesterday on one of the last Protest 187s in stock. Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful commentary. I can't wait to get them to Japan in January.

I haven't yet bought bindings...Extra credit: any strong feelings on alpine bindings for the Protests? My Nordicas have Attack 13s and they're more or less fine. I don't really think much about bindings, TBH. But there seems to be a lot of love for Pivots here. I may have a boot upgrade in my future, so I'm a bit shy about bindings that don't have much BSL adjustment. The Attacks have pretty decent adjustment.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Attacks go on all my powder skis. Low stack height, light weight, durable, large Bsl adjustment range, easy to step into in powder. No brainer. 13s are great, 16s little more durable but I’ve never seen problems with 13s breaking.

Pivots are maybe better performance/release wise (marginally), but quite heavy, very limited bsl range, and can be difficult to step into in powder. They go on my hardpack skis and some big mountain skis for that reason

But forza pivots are so hot right now

Ive been looking for a stiff, super pivoty surfy powski for myself and Im not sure if the 192s would fit the bill. I basically want a long ARG, that doesnt suck quite so much on the way back to the lift. Im perfectly happy swapping skis in the afternoon.

Im 6' 3-4" 210lbs geared up, and ski at alpental so a lot of my skiing is tight, steep, technical terrain in heavy snow. I would love a ski that is very pivoty and can be skied with a neutral stance, but i need it to be stiff as well so it doesnt deflect and start plowing in deep heavy stuff (big pet peeve). There is only a single pair of 192 flex 3's for sale on the site right now, and i know 196s would be a better fit for me. How much would i miss the extra length especially in minigolf/pillow drop terrain?

Im dont need this ski, but for $550 new its piqued my interest for sure.

Given what you describe, I think a flex 3 is going to be too soft for you. I'm 40# lighter, skiing CO fluff instead of PNW heavy, and the flex is just right.

Paging cascade Luke to the white courtesy phone.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Ive been looking for a stiff, super pivoty surfy powski for myself and Im not sure if the 192s would fit the bill. I basically want a long ARG, that doesnt suck quite so much on the way back to the lift. Im perfectly happy swapping skis in the afternoon.

Im 6' 3-4" 210lbs geared up, and ski at alpental so a lot of my skiing is tight, steep, technical terrain in heavy snow. I would love a ski that is very pivoty and can be skied with a neutral stance, but i need it to be stiff as well so it doesnt deflect and start plowing in deep heavy stuff (big pet peeve). There is only a single pair of 192 flex 3's for sale on the site right now, and i know 196s would be a better fit for me. How much would i miss the extra length especially in minigolf/pillow drop terrain?

I live in your neck of the woods, I am your size, I am in love with my 196s.

Hit me up if you want to try them this season.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm in the Seattle area too, and happily on 192 Flex 3s at 6', 165lbs. I bet you want 196s.

I own flex 4 192’s and 188’s that are flex 3. Im 210’ish in gear and 5’10. The flex 3 is super fun and playful. My only compliant was in chop, it needed to be stiffer so i did a custom 192. They solved that issue. I also had zero float issues with the shorter 188, they measure a touch under 187, straight tape pull.
    Since Alpental is more of a tight technical terrain type of hill, i think the 192 flex 3 would be fine for your size and needs. You’re pretty tall but not crazy heavy. Maybe mount them back -1.5 to help with tip float and more tip feel.
    If your home hill was more open terrain, i would say flex 4 for sure.

Adding: My 196s are stock flex.

This is another discussion but... in general, I’d trust Keith with the stock flex on all his models (unless you been on the ski and know you want something different...). The reason GPO reviews are all over the place is because people have been changing the flex, core, rocker, width, etc... and coming up with different results. I honestly think it hurts his business....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Adding: My 196s are stock flex.

This is another discussion but... in general, I’d trust Keith with the stock flex on all his models (unless you been on the ski and know you want something different...). The reason GPO reviews are all over the place is because people have been changing the flex, core, rocker, width, etc... and coming up with different results. I honestly think it hurts his business....

It also doesn't help when places like Blister are doing reviews on skis that they don't even know what the actual build is (eg. Praxis MVP).

I have MAP veneer 3 192. It rocks but I weigh 175

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I already regret not buying 192 (or 196?) Protests and putting Shifts/CAST on there....but it's not happening for me this year. Gotta attend to my touring and alpine boots. Maybe next season.

Pretty stoked for my plan for my 187 Protests with carbon layup/MAP core, which I use for pow touring -- pull Kingpins to swap in Alpinists. This would be the 3.5th (3.5rd? Or, because it's Praxis, "4-"??) mount, as I need to remount the heels, but the toes share mount pattern.

Anyone on ultralight binders with Protests? Use is touring only. Maybe 2-4 sidecountry days per year.
    sproing!

We are about the same size (height and weight, I might have 10-15lbs on you geared up). I have had stock (3) and currently have 4 flex Protests. The stock 3s were great, maybe a tad soft flying though chop, but super easy to ski in the terrain you are talking about, and the flex wasn’t noticeable. The 4s are awesome too, but ski longer. I think they ski longer because the stiffness in the tip and tail keep the ski flatter and doesn’t allow it to banana up as much, or at least that sounds good in my head.

I haven’t been on the stock Protests in 3 years, but I remember being able to drive the tips more then on my 4 flex. I definitely use a more mid foot/heel turning technique on the 4s, and in the 3s I could get more forward on the ski. My 4 flex Protests are mounted on the line, and idk what my stock ones were mounted at. They were Swiss cheesed and I had demo tacks in them just to get a binding that would fit my BSL.

I don’t need Protests either, but when I grab them, I do have fun. More fun then my 193 or 203 Shiros or Super Freerides, I’m not sure, but I do have a smile on my face. The Protests were the only ski I took to Japan last winter, when I go back, I’ll take them with CAST and a second pair of narrower skis. Touring on them is a bit much and only having them kept me from getting up Mt. Yoti. I’m sure one of you could of done it, but not me in the shape I was in for Japan.

I said this same thing to my roommate and my bro-in-law in the past week about the Protest. They are a quiver ski, you invest in them, keep them for 5-10 years, get 100 days on them over that time, and have a blast on them. They aren’t a grab every day ski, but the days you can grab them, they are a blast. If you can swing the $550, and justify a quiver ski, they are awesome. Nothing else I’ve skied has come close.

Can’t add much beyond skibrd & 2F, they summed things up well. Protest rule.
    Regarding western WA climate the baseline ski is made by another brand tho. It starts there then protest for deep days would be the ticket. It’s what I’ve enjoyed.
    I’d prescribe 192 #4s but those custom days may be gone