Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Cross-posting this.

Managed to get a pair of Protests off a buddy of mine for my upcoming trip to Japan. It has inserts for Dynafit Speed Radicals which we were pretty sure would be money for me when we discussed it. Turns out my new boot has a smaller BSL and the mount is just barely too long

The agreed upon sweet spot is pretty large for this ski right? I remember reading something like +2 to -2? Hoping I can reuse either the toe or heel holes. Skis also have one previous Dynafit mount that has been plugged, hence why I'm hoping to reuse some of the current inserts.

Also, what's the easiest way to figure out what year they are. Weight and dimple potentially? Pictures available if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    Cross-posting this.

Managed to get a pair of Protests off a buddy of mine for my upcoming trip to Japan. It has inserts for Dynafit Speed Radicals which we were pretty sure would be money for me when we discussed it. Turns out my new boot has a smaller BSL and the mount is just barely too long

The agreed upon sweet spot is pretty large for this ski right? I remember reading something like +2 to -2? Hoping I can reuse either the toe or heel holes. Skis also have one previous Dynafit mount that has been plugged, hence why I'm hoping to reuse some of the current inserts.

Also, what's the easiest way to figure out what year they are. Weight and dimple potentially? Pictures available if that helps.
    Just how much too short is your bsl? If only a few millimeters, it could be possible to reuse the holes with Plum Guides. They match the Dynafit holes but will get the heel more forward. (Plum heel has to be adjusted rearward to fit the same bsl boot as Dynafit even though they're using the same holes)

Quote Originally Posted by SoooL View Post
    Just how much too short is your bsl? If only a few millimeters, it could be possible to reuse the holes with Plum Guides. They match the Dynafit holes but will get the heel more forward. (Plum heel has to be adjusted rearward to fit the same bsl boot as Dynafit even though they're using the same holes)
    The pins had made contact with the heel from what I remember, so fairly close. I'll have to slap them back on after work and measure.
    That would put me a bit front of center though, will need to check that as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

Current to mount would put me at +3.5 which is more than I imagine I want.
    Going to try moving the toe and messing with the heel mount to use those holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    Current to mount would put me at +3.5 which is more than I imagine I want.
    Going to try moving the toe and messing with the heel mount to use those holes.

That’s waaaay to far forward. Most like this ski on the line or like me, mounted back 1.5-2cm.
    If you cannot find a spot behind the line I would look at getting rid of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    That’s waaaay to far forward. Most like this ski on the line or like me, mounted back 1.5-2cm.
    Using the two rear toeholes puts me right on the line and looks like I could easily squeeze in a mount for the heel if I put the turrets fairly far back on their track. If I go back 1.5-2 though I think things get even easier with less potential conflicts, just will need a full new set of holes. It does seem like my buddy liked them forward.

Found a marking for the current mount centerline on the other ski. It was mounted at +1.

Going back -2 gets me a good deal away from the previous inserts/plugs. On the line also seems easily do-able.

Going to do some stewing/research as to what seems best before moving forward.

I'm back 1.5cm on my OG Hybrids. They're sweet there. Original mounts were for tele and more forward. Not as much of a fan. But, tele, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'd recommend -1 t -2 personally. Thought my first pair were too far forward on the line

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I'd recommend -1 t -2 personally. Thought my first pair were too far forward on the line
    Yes. I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    I'm back 1.5cm on my OG Hybrids. They're sweet there. Original mounts were for tele and more forward. Not as much of a fan. But, tele, so...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    Yes. I agree with this.
    And there it is, the elusive “consensus “.

-1.23 cm for me was perfecto on 187s. Schizos helped dial it for me.

And there it is, the elusive “consensus “.
    Great! Will shoot for 1.69 back from the line.

So reused holes from previous owner on my 192. Put me at like -1.4 and I really think that it won’t matter since these are just so sweet and fat.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    ....I really think that it won’t matter since these are just so sweet and fat.
    Correct.

Just realized I should mount my Shifts instead of Speed Rads since I won't be reusing any of the previous inserts. Turns out their footprints are vastly different and doesn't look like I'll have any conflicts from the line to -2.
    Come wisdom is to leave old inserts in rather than pulling and plugging yeah?

Inserts are already sealed. No reason to remove them unless you have a conflict.

I’m in the -1.5 to -2 camp. Had about -1.5 on a pair last year. Went -2 on new set this year - both 192s.

Back to send my 0.02 into the morasse. Mounted my protests on the dimple. one day in ultra deep and heavy where tips would not come up. Being that this was my first day on the protests i was concerned. however, occasional pitches steep enough to get a bit of speed going gave glimpses of what was to come. Have now has 6 or 7 days of very deep including one touring waist deep coastal goodness.

These are everything i hoped for and i regret nothing. Dimple has been money. Planning at speed is effortless in all but the deepest most ridiculous snow. I do not envision moving my mount to accommodate these days. if anything, I can see why Keith and Co mount +2 as float is insane.

I cannot wait to get more days on these. Touring was a real treat. whatever they coat the top of the veneer with as a clear coat is better than anything I've tried for combating coastal snow sticking. Flex is everything i asked for. Pivoting is effortless. weight for my flex 4.5 in UL+V is very impressive to the hand/foot although i never managed to put them on a scale.

11/10 would recommend.

Skied 192 flex 3 MAP with veneer in 1-2 feet mounted at -1.4
    Great float and so quick. Any turn shape is possible with very little effort. Rips on groomers back to lift and just so stable but great flex. Stoked to be back on the protest wagon.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Smart man ^^ exact same build and mount point I have. What bindings?

Smart man ^^ exact same build and mount point I have. What bindings?
    Look pivot 18. Same as all alpine skis.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

I’ve moved to Attack 16 Bindings for my powder skis. I prefer the ease of step in and lighter weight

I have had some weird crashes and always released on pivots. I just trust em. And a little metal weight in front of boot pushes through crud.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)

Sometimes just easier to show how a ski can rip the trees and make any turn shape so quick!

https://youtu.be/2Pn0h6DyPrY
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?

2021/2022 (13/15)