Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1240
    As another data point, I'm 6' 165lb and the 190 Bibby and 192 Protest are two of my all-time favorite skis. But I also just bought a 187 -1 width UL Protest as a dedicated touring ski this year. Haven't got it on snow yet, so TBD how that experiment pans out. The 192 is stupid easy to ski in most any 3D snow, but I decided to try going shorter to save some weight, make for easier kick turns, and hopefully be a bit quicker in really tight trees. I think it'll still be plenty of float for me, but I do expect to lose some stability compared to the 192. For a ski that's never going to see a resort, I think that'll be fine. But again, TBD.

I also think 2FUNKY is on to something with the flex. The stock Flex 3 works really well at my weight, but if you made me change it one way or the other I'd definitely go stiffer. I could easily see the Flex 4 being a good idea for someone 30+ lb heavier than me.

I'm 5'10 170. Toured on some stock 187's last year and loved them for making low angle pow faster and surfier, and for making crusts ski more like pow. I added some UL 187's for this season and am putting alpine bindings on the stock pair. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer 192 for riding lifts, but I know I'll enjoy the 187's too. They have plenty of float once you have a little speed and they never turn unless you tell them to.

I also have 188 Rustler 11s, 186 BGs, and 188 Corvus for lift served and 182 UL GPOs and 180 Zero G 105s for touring. They all have their own personalities, of course, but I think Corvus and probably the BGs feel like a bit more ski than the Protests. The Rustlers feel similar. The GPOs and Zero Gs feel like less ski. Maybe that helps?

If anyone in CO wants to try my 187's they can come pick them up in Lafayette. I probably won't ski them much, since the BG's and Rustlers have advantages for riding lifts, but I like the too much to sell for the little they are worth. They're a luxury I'm happy to share. Mounted with Wardens for a 305ish BSL at -1.5.

Edit to add: I never considered changing the flex from 3 on my custom pair. I think it is dialed.

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I've got options here. Going to pull the trigger soon. Praying for snow in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    As another data point, I'm 6' 165lb and the 190 Bibby and 192 Protest are two of my all-time favorite skis. But I also just bought a 187 -1 width UL Protest as a dedicated touring ski this year. Haven't got it on snow yet, so TBD how that experiment pans out. The 192 is stupid easy to ski in most any 3D snow, but I decided to try going shorter to save some weight, make for easier kick turns, and hopefully be a bit quicker in really tight trees. I think it'll still be plenty of float for me, but I do expect to lose some stability compared to the 192. For a ski that's never going to see a resort, I think that'll be fine. But again, TBD.

I also think 2FUNKY is on to something with the flex. The stock Flex 3 works really well at my weight, but if you made me change it one way or the other I'd definitely go stiffer. I could easily see the Flex 4 being a good idea for someone 30+ lb heavier than me.
    Great intel here. Bibby one of my favorite skis as well.

HAB - are you happy with the Bibby on the line? And the Protest at minus 1?

Quote Originally Posted by VON View Post
    Great intel here. Bibby one of my favorite skis as well.

HAB - are you happy with the Bibby on the line? And the Protest at minus 1?
    Bibby on the line is money. My 192 Protests are at -1 and they're great there, but if I had to deviate from there I'd definitely go forward, not back. I mounted the 187 ULs on the line to try that out. Will report back.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like I've got options here. Going to pull the trigger soon. Praying for snow in the meantime.
    I don’t disagree with anything said above, but I just thought I’d add this…
    My 187’s are fucking amazing, cold dead hands skis for sure, wouldn’t trade for em anything; except maybe, probably, maybe, a 192. If I were to buy a new pair, it would absolutely be a 192. The reason idk if I would trade my 187’s in, and probably, maybe, would not, is because of the versatility of my 187’s and the fact that I have zero complaints about them anywhere, anytime. I can tour on them (they are diggity fuckin dope touring sticks) and I can still rock da FUK out of em on the resort.
    I guess what I’m saying is, you didn’t mention actually touring on em, so if that’s case, 192 seems like the obvious choice to me. If you’re looking for actually going up hill sometimes and want mas versatility, maybe go 187. Throw some carbon in der and maybe a veneer on the enduro core and I highly doubt you’ll ever have a complaint.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I'm about to throw a pair of 187 Protests up on gear swap. Bought them from a buddy who guides in Norway and Japan for the trip to Japan we took a few years back.
    While I definitely plan on going back to Japan again, as an East Coast skier it's hard to justify having both Billygoats and Protests as I'm trying to tidy up my small workshop in our small ski cabin.
    They have Binding Freedom inserts for both 5 hole Dynafits and Shifts as well as an unknown plugged mount. Also have BD skins and those GPS ski tracks on them for when you loose them in deep pow.
    Is $400 a reasonable to the right person? Bases are in great shape since they've basically only seen deep snow

Yup, Protest rule!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4032.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	466.7 KB 
ID:	397066

Name:	IMG_0581.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	269.6 KB 
ID:	397068

2Funky were you protesting today?

Re: pricing, $400 sounds a bit steep considering how good a price they were on sale direct from Praxis this past summer. However, it depends on the skins and if those inserts will work for somebody. With a really good set of skins and plug and play for their boot/binding combo, $400 might be reasonable.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post

Shit I wish! That was Sunday. Home nursing strep. Fml. I’ll be up sunday on fosho.

Appreciate the feedback! I ended up digging through my PayPal history and found thats what I paid for them a few years back from my buddy, so if it's somewhere in that range I'd be pleased. Honestly just want someone to be able to enjoy them. Makes me a little happysad everytime I see them sitting in the shop.

What was the sale price in the summer? I try to avoid looking at/thinking about skis (powder especially) in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by skis_the_trees View Post

Re: pricing, $400 sounds a bit steep considering how good a price they were on sale direct from Praxis this past summer. However, it depends on the skins and if those inserts will work for somebody. With a really good set of skins and plug and play for their boot/binding combo, $400 might be reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Drazzamatazz View Post
    I'm about to throw a pair of 187 Protests up on gear swap. Bought them from a buddy who guides in Norway and Japan for the trip to Japan we took a few years back.
    While I definitely plan on going back to Japan again, as an East Coast skier it's hard to justify having both Billygoats and Protests as I'm trying to tidy up my small workshop in our small ski cabin.
    They have Binding Freedom inserts for both 5 hole Dynafits and Shifts as well as an unknown plugged mount. Also have BD skins and those GPS ski tracks on them for when you loose them in deep pow.
    Is $400 a reasonable to the right person? Bases are in great shape since they've basically only seen deep snow
    In case you missed this: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...SELL-READ-THIS
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

So I bought a 187 to complement my 192 protest. Also mounted -1.5 and the 187 feels so dialed. Today was wind affected hot pow. The lack of side cut and never hooking an edge is priceless. It was cold and windy today and it was a great day due to the protest. Ripped soft groomers as well.

Name:	Image1640472189.753868.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	191.1 KB 
ID:	398147

Name:	Image1640472201.638316.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	398148

Name:	Image1640472215.163622.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	398149

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Noice!! Protest absolutely kill soft groomers.

Nothing makes wind pressed pow fun like a ptest. -1.5 ftw

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I got my 196 Protest out for their first day since I grabbed them off gear swap. Spent a couple hours skiing cut up low angle pow with my 4 year old. Even using some soft 2 buckle touring boots it was impressive how maneuverable they are for 196cm skis - way more playful than 188 orange BD Megawatts, and felt on par with my 192 GPOs although I didn't ski them back-to-back. Can't wait to get them out in some fresh steeps with a real set of boots. How does a ski this big with such minimal sidecut ski so well at low speed???

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	929.4 KB 
ID:	398484

I say the same about my 177's...
    Aggressive in my own mind

And...........when is HAB going to report back on his -1 UL's?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    And...........when is HAB going to report back on his -1 UL's?
    I posted somewhere (Praxis thread maybe?)

I've got a couple days on them and so far they seem like they're going to do what I want very well. I've only skied pretty good snow, so no real thoughts on how the mass/size reduction hampers them if things are crusty or chopped up. But they still float pretty well (and I've got bigger skis if it's truly mega deep) and the narrower version feels a lot more manageable than super fats on firmer side hilling skin tracks. I'm happy.

Got out on the -1 ULs again this morning. A few more thoughts:

-Yep, they still float really well. I only weigh about 165lb but don't feel like I need more ski unless things are insanely deep. It was mid-thigh up top and I was floating plenty well in that.
    -Mount point on the line feels great. I might actually bump by 192s up (currently at -1).
    -Found a surprising sun crust down lower and they dealt with that beautifully.
    -I need to detune the tails more. Found some firm, scraped off snow down lower in the trees and they felt pretty grabby. I was struggling on that, but I think it's mostly down to tune.

Awesome day out.

Name:	PXL_20211229_163344114.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	398675

Name:	PXL_20211229_162848716.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	398676

Name:	PXL_20211229_162421993.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	398678

Fuck yeah, that looks like a great day. Keep the reports coming, need more data. That might be the board the wife takes to Japan next winter.

Couple other thoughts:

I also think the UL build flexes a tiny bit softer and rounder than my older MAP (essentially the predecessor to the Enduro core) — both veneer Flex 3s. For a ski that I'm not skiing resort chop on, and at my weight, I think that's probably a good thing — if anything, it makes them even easier in tight spots, and probably helps a little with float — but if I was significantly heavier I bet I'd want to go to a Flex 4.

I'm also really happy with the slightly narrower waist for a touring ski that does see some weird firm, off-camber skin tracks from time time time. I've had a couple major lower body orthopedic injuries that aren't always super thrilled with the extra torque. But I also have full size Protests, Renegades, and Lotus 138s in the quiver too, so right tool for the job and all that.

Another variable snow day due to wind. Deep and soft in some areas and wind blown buff on ridges. Long run outs and a long pow day. The 187 is really versatile and complements my 192

Name:	Image1640917219.493212.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	398929

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Another variable snow day due to wind. Deep and soft in some areas and wind blown buff on ridges. Long run outs and a long pow day. The 187 is really versatile and complements my 192

Name:	Image1640917219.493212.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	166.3 KB 
ID:	398929

In what way? My 187 holds a place of honor in my quiver, but I wonder 'what if' re 192's