Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I mounted my 187 med/stiff layups on the dimple. Pretty stocky at 5'9" / 180lbs and have a forward stance - only great things to say about it at the dimple ... ski was incredible in deeper back country snow. Had a sweet afternoon riding around warm, drizzly pineapple express interior BC slush on them too ... Incredible versatility and will have them in the ski bag on any trip I reckon

Thanks for the feedback on mount points, thinking I will go with on the dimple.

Quote Originally Posted by EEC View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on mount points, thinking I will go with on the dimple.
    Good call
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I want a pair of the 192's. Got some good trades for when someone try's them and wants to shift em.

Just bumping this thread because my love of the 196s continues.
    Last edited by nickwm21; 12-16-2015 at 10:18 PM.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Going to mount up my 196 and not liking how far forward the dimple is. I have a huge boot (345) so I usually default to -1 on most mounts. Definitely planning on going at least -2, has anyone gone -3 on 196 or am I crazy?
    Last edited by SWskier; 12-13-2015 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWskier View Post
    Going to mount up my 196 and not liking how far forward the dimple is. I have a huge boot (345) so I usually default to -1 on most mounts. Definitely planning on going at least -2, has anyone gone -3 on 196 or am I crazy?
    I went on the line, but I only have a 317ish BSL. I think on the line is the only way to go on any ski, but if you usually mount a little bit back, stick with it!

To answer the thread's original question - really fucking cool!

Posting this in a couple places because it's worth folks seeing it.

FWIW I have gone back -1.5 from the line on my pair and holy shit - makes a huge difference. Still amazing and untouched but can actually be driven elsewhere. No tip dive or handle bar feeling. How cool is this ski? You couldn't pry these from my dead hands now.

Think I'll have to remount my 187s as well......I feel like I'm in a rocking chair. Especially in heavier snow. I've ended up skiing my 186 BGs instead as they float better and are more predictable. Maybe I'll sell the Protests and get a new pair of C&Ds. My 08/09s are dying.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    Posting this in a couple places because it's worth folks seeing it.

FWIW I have gone back -1.5 from the line on my pair and holy shit - makes a huge difference. Still amazing and untouched but can actually be driven elsewhere. No tip dive or handle bar feeling. How cool is this ski? You couldn't pry these from my dead hands now.
    I hear ya. My old 177's were at -1.5 and full charge anywhere with zero tip dive and no deflection in chop. Thought I'd mount the new 187's on the dimple but I think it takes away from being able to drive the tips. Going to go back to atleast -1. Still having fun pivoting them around the hill but I miss that intuitive feeling I had at -1.5

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Think I'll have to remount my 187s as well......I feel like I'm in a rocking chair. Especially in heavier snow. I've ended up skiing my 186 BGs instead as they float better and are more predictable. Maybe I'll sell the Protests and get a new pair of C&Ds. My 08/09s are dying.
    This is odd to me but in any case there's a pretty decent deal on a sweet pair of CnD's in the gear swap with FKS on em, sweet setup for sure, just a heads up

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    This is odd to me but in any case there's a pretty decent deal on a sweet pair of CnD's in the gear swap with FKS on em, sweet setup for sure, just a heads up
    Thanks, but as I'm in Norway that's not really an option.

Re: the skis.......I'm not sure what's going on. I'm trying to ski centered, but when I hit heavier cut up snow I get pushed back onto my heels, which I have to correct by pushing my weight forward......but the skis don't like that. It sort of overpowers them and gives me the feeling of going over the bars, In lighter, untouched snow they are great. I had the same feeling on a pair of 138s I had a few years ago. Never been a problem on C&Ds or two pairs of BGs.

Doubt it matters much but, I don't "try" to ski mine centered they just put me in that balance point, haven't experienced what your describing but I know they're not a ski to be over corrected, they just don't need to be. But FWIW a LOT of peeps here like em mounted back, -1.5 seems the consensus. Personally I dig em at the dimple but everyone's a bit different obviously when it comes to how you ski a ski, sounds like your right about moving back a bit

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Doubt it matters much but, I don't "try" to ski mine centered they just put me in that balance point, haven't experienced what your describing but I know they're not a ski to be over corrected, they just don't need to be. But FWIW a LOT of peeps here like em mounted back, -1.5 seems the consensus. Personally I dig em at the dimple but everyone's a bit different obviously when it comes to how you ski a ski, sounds like your right about moving back a bit
    Yeah, I'll probably try moving back before next season. Need a few more days on them before deciding. And a day with proper blower.

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post
    Yeah, I'll probably try moving back before next season. Need a few more days on them before deciding. And a day with proper blower.
    In my experience going back doesn't sacrifice any performance in deep untouched snow but you gain a lot in every other condition. So I'd guess waiting for blower will just tell you what you already know - they are stooopid fun in those conditions.

how many people in this thread are on the newer version Protest?
    I have the original 188s (awesome) so I guess I'm just curious about how the subtle changes worked out.

i had buyers remorse for not going w/ the 192s initially but will never sell my med/stiff carbon 196's that i ordered this past summer. after ~10 days on them i cant really think of anything i would change. my 192 L138s have seen snow once this year as i genuinely prefer the protests in most 3D snow and terrain scenarios and they take the misery out of the high T on the way out and return trail back in.

6'1" 225lbs mounted -1 from dimple or -9 from true center iirc

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    how many people in this thread are on the newer version Protest?
    I have the original 188s (awesome) so I guess I'm just curious about how the subtle changes worked out.
    I'm also very curious about the original vs. the current, 188 vs. 187...

Love my 188s, but might have to replace them, which I'm not happy about.

Bumping this due to picking up some 188 protest and was wondering what bevel guys are putting on the edges and how much gets detuned and how aggressive of a detune. I was thinking about doing a 1.5 base/ 2edge bevel and detune the living shit out of the taper sections with a file leaving only the small sidecut section under foot sharp. ??

I didn't put any bevel on my 187s but did the exact detune your talking about, ski like a dream

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Bumping this due to picking up some 188 protest and was wondering what bevel guys are putting on the edges and how much gets detuned and how aggressive of a detune. I was thinking about doing a 1.5 base/ 2edge bevel and detune the living shit out of the taper sections with a file leaving only the small sidecut section under foot sharp. ??
    I just detuned contact points outwards, and not particularly aggressively.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard; they are magic slippers.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    I just detuned contact points outwards, and not particularly aggressively.

Congratulations, and welcome aboard; they are magic slippers.
    Thought about starting there and ski them with a gummy in my pocket and detune more towards the sidecut if warranted.

I hope so, I have been wanting to own a pair for a long time and finally just said fuck it. Plus I got a great deal on them so it really was a no brainier.
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 09-18-2016 at 10:35 PM.

First day in mine with 10" of fresh, patrol opened another chair that had not been touched so it was stupid deep. Such an effortless ski. Really bummed I hadn't jumped on the wagon sooner. Mounted at 102.5 from the tip. Silly fun ski. Zero hooking, make any turn shape you command. Command is to heavy a word, just think it and they do it.
    Huuuge turns, fine, tighten them up to avoid tree tips, ok, throw sideways to dump speed, pffft.
    Wind pack pow was crazy easy to ski as well. Groomers we're easy and as long as they were at all soft they would carve just fine.

2funky sees the light ...

Nice!! They just get moar better and moer bettr too