Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Super light and dry powder from 8-15" on a rain crust. The width of the ski was brutal on my aging body when I would hit bottom. They wanted to run and I didn't have room for them to do so. I swapped to my 189 Asym BG's after five runs and I was just dialed. I think the 192 is still too big of a ski for where I ski (Stevens Pass) and how I ski (trees, mini-golf lines, etc.). I bet I would feel differently about the Protests at a place like Mammoth or Snowbird where they can take advantage of room to run. Solid skis for the right skier...I just find that the BG's and me style pair up well.
    Gotcha. I just absolutely love the ProTest shape for how frictionless it is in those conditions. It does want to go fast yet has an innate ability to shut down and wiggle through areas, so quick at slashing turns or happy not turning. I loved my 188’s at Stevens. Can’t wait to get my 192’s mounted and ride them. You may pair better with the 187.
    Sounds like the BG fits you well as you have plenty of days on them. They’ll sell fairly quickly I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Gotcha. I just absolutely love the ProTest shape for how frictionless it is in those conditions. It does want to go fast yet has an innate ability to shut down and wiggle through areas, so quick at slashing turns or happy not turning. I loved my 188’s at Stevens. Can’t wait to get my 192’s mounted and ride them. You may pair better with the 187.
    Sounds like the BG fits you well as you have plenty of days on them. They’ll sell fairly quickly I bet.
    They did feel frictionless...I agree 100% there. I do feel like the 187 was an easier ski for me and more enjoyable, but again, I like the BG's more for conditions and location. There is just no better ski for me on a deep day when picking my way through Upper Wild Katz trees and then letting them run towards the lower half where it opens up a bit more. Glad to hear that you like your 188's. Reminds me that there are lots of different tastes of gear out there.

So, now that Aever-Vail-Guese is gone, are the VeneerTests as cool as they once were?
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Tabke was rocking his ProTests today at Alpental.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    I ski trees much tighter than those open fields with a few trees in them. They are nimble for sure. I find they shine pretty hard when there's a zipper or wind crust too. So hook-free.
    This... I ski the Juan’s and my Protests happily cut and slash tight trees easily, although I will say they pick up speed in a hurry so when it gets tight it’s pretty easy to be going really fast really fast
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

I do find the quickness comment interesting. I’d peg my 192 Protests as easier to pivot in CO trees than my brothers 186 goats and I’m not a big guy. That’s kind of the point of the psuedo reverse reverse design.

I do understand the bosy impact thing though, my old powderboards were awesome but hardpack and hard chop could be brutal on my legs

I would really like to try out some new C&D’s and compare them to my Protests. If anyone in the Tahoe area has a pair and wants to swap for a few runs

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I’d peg my 192 Protests as easier to pivot in CO trees than 186 goats.
    I agree. I thought my 192s were stoopid easy to pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    This... I ski the Juan’s and my Protests happily cut and slash tight trees easily, although I will say they pick up speed in a hurry so when it gets tight it’s pretty easy to be going really fast really fast
    That acceleration is one of the things that make the ProTest so damn fun to ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post

That acceleration is one of the things that make the ProTest so damn fun to ski.
    Absofuckinlutely! Just mentioned it as it might be a reason people may think they’re a little much in tight stuff before they really get a feel for how easy they are to slice n dice
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

The acceleration is wild. So going along in pow then it planes up and I’m headed for trees. Think this is going to get interesting and then think and it goes and I’m around the trees. Very intuitive and really quick. I have 186 BG and 189 BG and they are quick but protest is like OG renegade quick. Makes you just go fast.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi_Red View Post
    I agree. I thought my 192s were stoopid easy to pivot.

Yup. Why I dumped my 191 BG. ProTest is quicker, doesn’t plow, frictionless in pow and loves to accelerate through and out of the turn. So easy to pivot in trees and kills it in funky heavy crusted snow. Skis it likes its pow. Shuts down without effort. Point and shoot.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Yup. Why I dumped my 191 BG. ProTest is quicker, doesn’t plow, frictionless in pow and loves to accelerate through and out of the turn. So easy to pivot in trees and kills it in funky heavy crusted snow. Skis it likes its pow. Shuts down without effort. Point and shoot.
    What is funny is that I would say the same thing about the BG’s. That being said, I think the Protest speed is what I have been fighting. I feel like they want to go a lot faster than I am comfortable with in the tight terrain. I’m sure it’s more of a “user” issue but also probably why they don’t seem like the right fit for me. I do feel like the 187 is a lot more manageable for me in tight terrain.

What is funny is that I would say the same thing about the BG’s. That being said, I think the Protest speed is what I have been fighting. I feel like they want to go a lot faster than I am comfortable with in the tight terrain. I’m sure it’s more of a “user” issue but also probably why they don’t seem like the right fit for me. I do feel like the 187 is a lot more manageable for me in right terrain.
    So how much do you want for those bubingas?

What is funny is that I would say the same thing about the BG’s. That being said, I think the Protest speed is what I have been fighting. I feel like they want to go a lot faster than I am comfortable with in the tight terrain. I’m sure it’s more of a “user” issue but also probably why they don’t seem like the right fit for me. I do feel like the 187 is a lot more manageable for me in tight terrain.
    That wasn’t directed at you man. It was just a general ProTest statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    So how much do you want for those bubingas?
    Atta boy!

Whatever you guys do, please mount for IONs or Wardens at 306. Thanks

That wasn’t directed at you man. It was just a general ProTest statement.
    No worries...I didn't take it that way.

I post up my findings on skis, even when they don't work for me, because I want to see what I might be doing wrong/different. The banter about how fast they are really resonated with me. They are super quick and super fast, but NOT in a way that works for me/I am comfortable with. I'm 45-yo, have a screwed up knee that is only getting fixed with a TKR (someday) and just want to keep having good pow days with my kids. BG's help me feel young and fast (for an middle-aged guy) while Protests make me feel my age. I'm just not as core as I used to be, I guess.

I found my OG Protests to be incredibly nimble, and I'm a 49-yo shitty skier. That said, the old 188s measured about 186 straight-pull. I ordered new 192s but really should have ordered 187s, which would be plenty for me. They're now measuring damn near to length. That's really why I'm thinking about flipping my big reds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56921041381__B9FF66F8-9074-4C66-ADB7-E6FEBF7DAE93.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	217.9 KB 
ID:	264652

Repost from the Praxis thread

196 Protest
    Flex 4
    Enduro w/ Carbon
    Veneer Tsunami
    Mounted -1 from dot with Shifts

Off to Japan on Thursday

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^^holy goddamn - the dream is REAL!!
    sproing!

tough thread. I just got on BGs a month ago for the first time and they / RES opened my eyes. I love them.

But then there is this thread and bandit selling...

Man I want to slarve I wish the ski was 100% tapered - check

Man I wanna nuke I wish I had a big traditional turn radius - check

Man I wanna pick my way medium speed I wish I had a multiple sidecut eliptical radius - wtf this is the protest thread just let them go faster I swear it won't hurt

...my opinion after two days on the protest

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Man I want to slarve I wish the ski was 100% tapered - check

Man I wanna nuke I wish I had a big traditional turn radius - check

Man I wanna pick my way medium speed I wish I had a multiple sidecut eliptical radius - wtf this is the protest thread just let them go faster I swear it won't hurt

...my opinion after two days on the protest
    Yep, they do just about everything that involves soft snow well, actually, I don’t really know what they do poorly when it involves soft snow

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Issue I ran into was heavy snow and bogging tips. But I was also tired
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Finally mounted these up.
    Custom 192, enduro, flex 4. Mounted -2 from the dot. I used my 188’s as my reference for mount point since I love the way they ski there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3880.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	858.5 KB 
ID:	264945

Just a heads up going to be putting up my 188’s for sale in the next day or so. Great shape, have brand new attack 13 demos on them. Had some unexpected expenses, so can’t justify keeping these and 192 Protests

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Just a heads up going to be putting up my 188’s for sale in the next day or so. Great shape, have brand new attack 13 demos on them. Had some unexpected expenses, so can’t justify keeping these and 192 Protests
    ^Interested, but north of the border/don’t want to make things too difficult if there is local interest.

Bumping this up. I PM'd back and forth with Muggy. The weak northern peso has influenced my reluctant pass on these. Someone else buy some rad skis!