Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Rocked my 188's at Schweitzer today in mid thigh conditions and as always they fucking ruled.
    Also curious about the newer version as I'm debating about doing a custom 192.
    I say do it and sell me the 188s!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some Protests. My favorite pow ski to date is the Moment Bibby in 190cm. What length should I go with? 187 or 192?

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    So I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on some Protests. My favorite pow ski to date is the Moment Bibby in 190cm. What length should I go with? 187 or 192?
    No experience with the Bibby so take this fwiw. I felt the Protest skied short. In tight trees, I never once felt like 187’s were too much nor too little. We skied three days of tight trees with very little open bowl skiing due to snow stability. We did find some places though to open up and at higher speeds they didn’t get squirrely. I never buried the tips and felt I had enough tail behind me. If money wasn’t an factor, I would consider ordering the 192 this spring . I think I might appreciate it on more open terrain.

Me - 39 yr old male, 6’-5”,195 lbs.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

I have a whooping 6 runs on the Bibby in 10" of pow. While I did like the Bibby, the ProTest is on another level as a pow ski.
    I own what is the Gen2 188, not sure what changed, and have a ton of days on it. It skis short when needed yet can feel longer on wide open spaces where it can haul ass. I am 5'10, 195 very strong athletic build. I have yet to feel the 188 is to short. Never had tip dive, I can drive them as much as I want.
    Sorry man but I will never sell my 188 even if I do a custom 192. The only reason I am wanting to do a custom is to stiffen them up a touch. It's not that they are particularly soft, I just like a stiff ski. Stock flex is a 3 and I want a 4.
    The 3 is very playful yet can haul, I'm just intrigued to see what a 4 flex can do.

Mount point- I sold my first pair of 192s (mainly to go from enduro/Carbon/nylon topsheet/4 flex to enduro/veneer/3 flex) - but also a little to go -1.2. As someone else mentioned I've never heard of someone mounting protests back then moving them forward.

I'm 5'9 185 and I feel like the 192s are very quick in deep snow and trees. Occasionally the physical length has gotten in the way for me.

That being said, I would have gotten 187s for sure if I did not own Quixotes and Jeffrey 114s and have access to billygoats. I do not bring out Protests in 6" as many on here have touted

I have a whooping 6 runs on the Bibby in 10" of pow. While I did like the Bibby, the ProTest is on another level as a pow ski.
    I own what is the Gen2 188, not sure what changed, and have a ton of days on it. It skis short when needed yet can feel longer on wide open spaces where it can haul ass. I am 5'10, 195 very strong athletic build. I have yet to feel the 188 is to short. Never had tip dive, I can drive them as much as I want.
    Sorry man but I will never sell my 188 even if I do a custom 192. The only reason I am wanting to do a custom is to stiffen them up a touch. It's not that they are particularly soft, I just like a stiff ski. Stock flex is a 3 and I want a 4.
    The 3 is very playful yet can haul, I'm just intrigued to see what a 4 flex can do.
    I'll bring my 4 flex 187s with me tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    What other skis do you ski?

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    I'm 6'1 and 195# and am on 196 flex 4. It's very manageable. In a perfect world I would have a 192. Never been on a Bibby, but I like my pow ski ~190. Coming from a 192 Bent Chetler. If you like the 190 Bibby, I would go with a 192 Protest.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    It's very manageable. In a perfect world I would have a 192. Never been on a Bibby, but I like my pow ski ~190. Coming from a 192 Bent Chetler. If you like the 190 Bibby, I would go with a 192 Protest.
    I am coming at this as a member of the 190 Bibby fan club and *think* I agree with Phatty's take. I'm not certain, because I haven't skied the 192 Protest and only have a few days on a stock 187 mounted on the dimple. What I can say so far is that the Protest is indeed on a different level in pow with very noticeable float coming from the centre section of the ski. This makes it very easy to make whatever turn shape you want. Once you start to feel/get used to the support from underfoot you stop thinking about the relatively small/short looking tips out in front of you and start concentrating on finding the best pockets of snow/features to slash and pop off of. The 187 is really easy to ski and hasn't felt overwhelming in the slightest. It also hasn't felt too short, but given how easy it is to ski in tight spots, I'd personally consider going up to the 192 just for a little extra fore/aft stability and ability to drive the tips in chop. Local terrain, skier height etc are obviously factors here, but if you are happy with the 190 Bibby I'd imagine the 192 Protest would be a good fit. This is all based on fairly limited time on the 187, so take it for what it's worth.

Edited to add that either length will be awesome and will be a great supplement to the Bibby.

I still cannot believe I didn't ride them. I guess with all the swapping of skis going on between the three of us I just spaced it. Hopefully soon.

I still cannot believe I didn't ride them. I guess with all the swapping of skis going on between the three of us I just spaced it. Hopefully soon.
    With all the blower power were skiing, it was pretty easy to forget

That too.

You forgot because the SuperGoats were just too good.
    Nah. It was the SuperGoats.
    That too.
    SuperGoats.

Lol

Trying to get a pair of Protests again, sort of miss the easy swishing around on the for days after a storm...

196 OG protest in Gear swap for 100 bucks....
    Edit..looks like you already got em

In a weak moment, I picked up a pair of 187's. I'm thinking that these are a couple years old, in spite of them hardly having a nick on them.

Straight pull - 186cm (maybe a touch shorter, like 185.75)
    Straight pull (tip to dimple): 100.5cm (that puts them at -7.5 instead of current spec of -8)
    Orange side walls
    Nylon top (Stained Glass Trees, so they're customs)

Here's the kicker: weight is exactly 10.0 Lbs. I'm thinking they're the older, heavier core jobbies referenced above, rather than a custom heavy (Maple/Ash) from this Spring. Does any of the above data point toward one (older) or the other (this Spring)?

So if we're liking -1 to -1.5 relative to the dot on current Protests ('coz I love this on my GPOs & Qs), do y'all think going -1 to -1.5 on these is consistent with that? It's somewhat academic, 'coz I'll need to go there in any event, due to hole conflict but I thought I'd ask.

[Edit] @adrenalated and @N1CK (back in post #'s 41 & 42) make me think that these are recent, and the 7.5 vs. 8 is a standard production variance (or possibly a minor undocumented change). It seems as if the older Protests were spec'd further back (at -9) if @adrenalated's memory is accurate.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I have original Protests which were billed as 188s. There was no dimple or mark and after a few emails with Praxis I mounted at 101.5 straight pull from the tips, equating to -7.5 from center. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd think -1 or -2 would be fine.

FWIW:
    I own GPOs in 187 and the dimple is about 100.5 back from the tip, which should be -7 from center. I intend on going -1.
    My MVP were mounted on the dimple and though I liked that, I liked it more after I bumped them back.
    Bump due to Thom's post ... after moving to 102.5 they were even better. I wouldn't go any more than that.

also: fkna I wish it would snow

Yeah, given that I have no choice (hole conflict), I'm totally OK with treating the line as the one everyone is talking about and going back 1.25 to 1.5 (depending on hole avoidance requirements). The good news is that existing holes limit my OCD tendencies ;-)

I'm still curious about what generation these are however ... thinking they're fairly recent.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-01-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    Galibier Design

Sorry man but I will never sell my 188 even if I do a custom 192.
    This. Absolutely love my 188s, nothing like them for me. Got 'em out last weekend for the first time this year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	222729

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yeah, given that I have no choice (hole conflict), I'm totally OK with treating the line as the one everyone is talking about and going back 1.25 to 1.5 (depending on hole avoidance requirements). The good news is that existing holes limit my OCD tendencies ;-)

I'm still curious about what generation these are however ... thinking they're fairly recent.

... Thom
    Based on the base graphic, I’d say those Protests from eBay were 13/14 or 14/15.
    And to an earlier question/point, the line on older versions of the current gen protests (ie: the ones Blister reviewed) was at -10, so when they say they liked them at +1, that equates to -1 on 13/14 or newer Protests. \nerding out

Some Protest stoke from a few weeks ago in Rusutsu - God, I miss that place!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1517521895.272242.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	145.8 KB 
ID:	222730

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,

I e-mailed the seller. Of course, he's the second owner but he thinks they're 12/13's. The good news whether they're 12/13 of a year or two later, they located the dimple very close to the current skis (-7.5 vs. -8), and we know how everyone likes their recent vintage versions mounted.

I'll look at contact points and other stuff to see how they compare against current versions, but at the end of the day, they're going at -1 to -1.5 'coz that's what the existing holes will allow ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design

-1.5 and smile.

-1.5 and smile.
    Yup
    Galibier Design

I vote -1.25!