Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    ... the magic of RES.
    Is undeniable in a rational world and on anything 3d.

I 3> Praxis, but after skiing about 100 long alpine runs on BG's in recent weeks, my science is becoming solid on this one. 116 Protest could be a contender v. RES.

I also 3> bastardizing internet memes.
    Life is not lift served.

The Protest kinda skims along the top of chop. It requires you to stay pretty balanced and centered on the ski. You can't really drive the tips through stuff.

I prefer a Bibby/BG type ski even in dry chop because I like to drive the tips and power through rather than skitter along the top. It's not that the Protest is a bad chop ski, it's just for my style I prefer something I can drive a little harder.

Is be curious how a veneer carbon maple ash protest would be. Smaller size if you're borderline between two. Might be a killer resort pow ski. Don't think it'd weigh too much, maybe less than the BG. A maple ash -10 protest would be interesting too

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    A maple ash -10 protest would be interesting too
    That one keep bubbling up from my subconscious.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

The fact that people keep trying to put the ProTest up against 116 waist skis is very telling of its versatility.

I have no issue mobbing dry snow chop on my ProTest, even pressuring the tips. Just tip them on edge and rage. I am back 1.5 though.

A 192 with a 4+ or 5 flex would flat rage in soft chop. A 116 ProTest sounds intriguing as well. Give the BG a straight up run for the money in that category.

Also in spring conditions or rain skiing, the ProTest fucking dominates there as well. Peeled of my Goliaths one day last year, snow was damn near unskiable, people were leaving left and right or getting hurt, clicked into ProTest and BAM! Game on! Everyone was asking how I was skiing so fast and effortlessly.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    The fact that people keep trying to put the ProTest up against 116 waist skis is very telling of its versatility.

I have no issue mobbing dry snow chop on my ProTest, even pressuring the tips. Just tip them on edge and rage. I am back 1.5 though.

A 192 with a 4+ or 5 flex would flat rage in soft chop. A 116 ProTest sounds intriguing as well. Give the BG a straight up run for the money in that category.

Also in spring conditions or rain skiing, the ProTest fucking dominates there as well. Peeled of my Goliaths one day last year, snow was damn near unskiable, people were leaving left and right or getting hurt, clicked into ProTest and BAM! Game on! Everyone was asking how I was skiing so fast and effortlessly.
    Heavy core, -10mm, #4 or #4+ flex. Funky snow weapon.
    Last edited by Island Bay; 08-25-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Speaking of heavy core, stiff'ish flex, do any of you have experience with this - both in terms of performance and weight?

I asked Keith a while ago about the weight increase, and he said that a few 189 RX they built gained 8oz, and that an MA core Protest is "really heavy". His guess would be 8-12oz on average for an RX, so roughly the same for a skinny Protest (my guess)?

I have skied a few MAP/Carbon Praxis (BCs and Protests), and a few MAP (PBs and MVPs). I really like the idea of a more damp, heavy core ski for non-touring duty. Your thoughts/first hand knowledge?

Will go and scroll through the 16-17 thread for answers in the meantime.

I will say Keith's skis start off light weight . I think his maple ash core is not any heavier than on3p stock layup. That's before carbon and veneer

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Speaking of heavy core, stiff'ish flex, do any of you have experience with this - both in terms of performance and weight?
    I have identical dimension Praxis skis: one UL layup, the other heavy. Both same flex. But I never got around to weighing them before mounting.

They are now mounted so differently (tech v. alpine), and skied with such different boots (shit AT boots v.s awesome alpine boots), that comparisons are blurred.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    I have identical dimension Praxis skis: one UL layup, the other heavy. Both same flex. But I never got around to weighing them before mounting.

They are now mounted so differently (tech v. alpine), and skied with such different boots (shit AT boots v.s awesome alpine boots), that comparisons are blurred.
    How damp and stable do your heavy RXs feel compared to your Billy Goats?

RX are 2cm shorter than me and 106. Very short, for a purpose. BG's are 10cm longer and 116. So no meaningful comparison is possible. The BG's are vastly more stable. But again, that is meaningless. I'd really like to compare equal length, heavy build, 116 RX and BG. I think both would handle soft snow, speed and stability well. BG would win in deep pow. I think the BG would probably win in crusty variable 3d conditions (RES magic). And I think the BG would be more nimble. I can GS all day, or throw endless tight stable slalom 8's in soft snow on my BG's if I feel like it. I think they would be equally as bad on firm snow (ice, wind hammered). No idea about groomer snow or heavily tracked soft snow.
    Life is not lift served.

Take all this talk of the BG to that thread. This is a ProTest thread, dammit!

Take all this talk of the BG to that thread. This is a ProTest thread, dammit!
    What?? You jealous bro???

Nah. Don't get jealous, just get even.
    Whatever that means.

Thom started it!

[and 3p threads sometimes has that apparently inadequate-feeling angry guy getting all angry. Kinda kills the vibe. So BG chatter sometimes ends up in Praxis threads.]
    Life is not lift served.

The line blurs between these two great builders. And besides ... Muggy started it (oops ... he started it in the main Praxis thread and not here ... another blurring line) ;-)

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 08-26-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I had the exact same experience last year 8" of glop overnight that turned to straight up rain by mid morning. By lunch I was pretty much the only one left. Soaked but having an awesome day.

I have heavy core Qs coming this year, I see throwing them in the car with my Protests to sub in on pow day afternoons when it's chop and pow bumps everywhere with a few tree stashes left.

And I love the joint on3p chatter. I feel like the two companies should get together and build a colab ski.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I have heavy core Qs coming this year, I see throwing them in the car with my Protests to sub in on pow day afternoons when it's chop and pow bumps everywhere with a few tree stashes
    Q's f n slay that kind of shit, your gonna luv em! But since this is a "protest" thread, I feel the need to say that I really enjoy the protest in those conditions as well, feel like get put into too small a box often times... mmmmmm pow bumps, love me some big ol pow bumps!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I asked Keith a while ago about the weight increase, and he said that a few 189 RX they built gained 8oz, and that an MA core Protest is "really heavy". His guess would be 8-12oz on average for an RX, so roughly the same for a skinny Protest (my guess)?

I have skied a few MAP/Carbon Praxis (BCs and Protests), and a few MAP (PBs and MVPs). I really like the idea of a more damp, heavy core ski for non-touring duty. Your thoughts/first hand knowledge?

Will go and scroll through the 16-17 thread for answers in the meantime.
    I havent skied them yet, but my 189 RX Heavy core with #5 flex feel a little heavier than my 189 Billy Goats in hand. I need to get a scale, and weigh these bad boys.

Ill report back on how stable they are, as well as heavy core skinny Qs, in less than 90 days!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I had forgotten just how fuqn incredible Protests are. Yes, I could have rattled off all the positive attributes, but it took four days of long powder lines to remind me.

They somehow transcend 'great skiing' and make you ski so much faster, smoother and effortlessly.

I have 100+ days on mine, and they still surprise and stoke me.

^^^^Nice! I hear NZ has been great.

Anyone got a pair of 192 or 196s in Tahoe I can take for a spin? I'll lend you....my 187s. Or some Bibbys.

Just because my 187s are perfect I'm considering ordering a pair of 192s - just in case they are more perfecter!

Just because my 187s are perfect I'm considering ordering a pair of 192s - just in case they are more perfecter!
    Height/weight and mount point? I have some 187's inbound.

6'1 x 170-175, on the dimple. Never had any tip dive.

Thanks. Good to know.