Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1240
    skibrd, that sounds bizarre. You say you sold ‘all’ your Protests right? The symptoms you described were for one pair of Protests?

I’ve owned or currently ski GPOs, Quixotes, Ullrs, 9D8s, Backcountrys…no decamber issues. 190 lbs, kinda hard on skis so I tend toward Heads and the metal lam Volkls.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Anyone find the touring equivalent of the protest? Similar shape, a little less weight, etc I always enjoy ski touring on mine but it’s hands down my heaviest set up. Just curious to hear people’s experience with similar style ski. I ski my wife’s BMT122 and gives me a similar feel
    My touring equivalent of the protest is a protest in the ultralight layup. ~1975g so pretty lightweight for a ski that size.

Quote Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
    ^Uuuhh yeah, the wootest was made for exactly that. Check praxis website and extensive threads on it here

FWIW I have a pair and while they are similar, they don’t ski quite the same
    I had a pair of the wootest and no, they didn’t ski like a protest. Just floating the question because you don’t know if you don’t ask.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlowGoFar View Post
    My touring equivalent of the protest is a protest in the ultralight layup. ~1975g so pretty lightweight for a ski that size.
    What length is that for? Skiing attributes pretty similar?

What length is that for? Skiing attributes pretty similar?
    187, and I haven’t been on a stock version so I can’t comment on that. I would guess that it skis similarly but is less damp due to the weight savings, I’m sure there’s other folks on here that have been on both.

Ive got both a 192 protest and 187 wootest. Protest is pretty great. Wootest less so. Partially ive decided i want my ski in the woo's quiver slot to be better in firmish snow. But that's just me.
    But you know I probably should have gotten both skis in the longer length. I'm good with the protest in 192. Woo wasn't available in a similar size.

Anyone find the touring equivalent of the protest? Similar shape, a little less weight, etc I always enjoy ski touring on mine but it’s hands down my heaviest set up. Just curious to hear people’s experience with similar style ski. I ski my wife’s BMT122 and gives me a similar feel
    My solution was just light skins and light bindings (SSL 2.0, I might have bought them from you?) on a 196 Protest. Will still weigh less than my 192cm Praxis Yetis with Comforts/Verticals which was once my primary touring set up. We had all that cold smoke pow recently in the Selkirks/Cabinets and it pushed me for a superfat touring ski, now that I mounted them it probably won't happen again for 3 years. Seriously though, breaking trail in `18-36" of cold smoke demands a fat ski.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    skibrd, that sounds bizarre. You say you sold ‘all’ your Protests right? The symptoms you described were for one pair of Protests?

I’ve owned or currently ski GPOs, Quixotes, Ullrs, 9D8s, Backcountrys…no decamber issues. 190 lbs, kinda hard on skis so I tend toward Heads and the metal lam Volkls.
    It happened on my Protests, Super Freerides, and Quixotes. Didn’t keep the other pair (or two?) around long enough to see cause I didn’t like them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Skied 2’ of upside down pow friday on my 192 4 flex protesteses. Yup, still slaying like always.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Skied 2’ of upside down pow friday on my 192 4 flex protesteses. Yup, still slaying like always.
    My 192 4 flex killed in LCC many times the past few weeks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1828D12C-00F6-495E-9476-A6CA0BE6E387.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	294.1 KB 
ID:	400385

Upside down and wind affected snow is no match for protest. Of course it excels in pow but in crap snow made me a hero

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

They are so good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1644039993.371785.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	161.5 KB 
ID:	404505

I found a great local deal on some 192 Protests that I definitely don’t need but Ive wanted a pair of these forever. They’re stock 3 flex though and I’m wondering if that is a dealbreaker since a lot of people seem to say go 4. 190 Bibbys are currently my cold dead hands pow ski and I also have a pair of 4 flex MVP 108s that I like a lot, so I definitely like skis on the stiffer side but nothing insane. These would be a deep day resort ski in CO (yeah I know it doesn’t snow here anymore) so I’d want them to be able to hang throughout the day when things get tracked out

Should I hold out for a 4 flex pair to pop up or are people happy with stock flex? As said I totally don’t need them so not feeling rushed but it’s a good deal and local
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I found a great local deal on some 192 Protests that I definitely don’t need but Ive wanted a pair of these forever. They’re stock 3 flex though and I’m wondering if that is a dealbreaker since a lot of people seem to say go 4. 190 Bibbys are currently my cold dead hands pow ski and I also have a pair of 4 flex MVP 108s that I like a lot, so I definitely like skis on the stiffer side but nothing insane. These would be a deep day resort ski in CO (yeah I know it doesn’t snow here anymore) so I’d want them to be able to hang throughout the day when things get tracked out

Should I hold out for a 4 flex pair to pop up or are people happy with stock flex? As said I totally don’t need them so not feeling rushed but it’s a good deal and local
    How heavy are you? I also super duper love the 190 Bibby, and own (and also love) 192 Flex 3 Protests. But in really heavy chop, the Protests do get knocked around significantly more. I'll often ski the Protests until lunch and then swap to the Bibbys on a PNW pow day for that reason. I'm 6', 165lb.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    How heavy are you? I also super duper love the 190 Bibby, and own (and also love) 192 Flex 3 Protests. But in really heavy chop, the Protests do get knocked around significantly more. I'll often ski the Protests until lunch and then swap to the Bibbys on a PNW pow day for that reason. I'm 6', 165lb.
    I’m 6’2 180lb. The snow is much lighter here than the PNW and we don’t really get much 3D snow, but our storms are smaller so you’re often navigating some bumps underneath the fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

I’m 6’2 180lb. The snow is much lighter here than the PNW and we don’t really get much 3D snow, but our storms are smaller so you’re often navigating some bumps underneath the fresh

what size is your boot, Wes?
    I have 192 #4 Protests you can take for a spin, IF IT EVER SNOWS AGAIN anyway. Just let me know.

For an area with lower water content snow, the 3 would be fine. Heavier snow pack is where the 4 shines in chop over the 3. I also prefer how the 4 skis pow over the 3. More knife like, less flex makes the ski faster through the turn and out of the turn. These shapes lend themselves to a stiffer flex profile.
    Pretty sure I just muddied the water even more for ya. Lol

Yeah, that's why I mentioned it. I think you could go either way, but I might lean towards a Flex 4 if you're trying to ski them all day inbounds. I'm happy making a swap, and with that approach the 3 works really well.

Thanks for the thoughts. Sounds like for my skiing style and intended use I should hold out for a pair of 4 flex. I’m not really interested in swapping skis mid day - knowing myself I’ll just end up obsessing over it and it’ll detract from my skiing

N1CK I’d gladly take you up on that if it ever snows again. I’m a 316 bsl

I’m 200 but ski light Utah pow. Flex 3 187 & 192 is perfect for me and very stable. But can’t speak to heavier snow

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Weighing in on Wes’s question about Protest stiffness, I think some of the discussion about Protests in chop needs to account for waist width and float too. It’s a lot of surface area to ask to blast through stuff. Stiffness matters too of course, but the ski’s shape/natural tendency is to float, and much of the float comes from the mid section of the ski which can lead to a comparatively rough/active ride in chop compared to a narrower/differently shaped ski. Bibbys are pretty damn good in chop and ok in pow. Protests are many levels better in pow and ok in chop. Pick your poison for the conditions and enjoy! That said, everyone should try a Protest at some point - they really are on a different level than so many skis in pow.

What flex in the Protest would be comparable to the Bibby/Wildcat? 3, 3+, or 4?

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    What flex in the Protest would be comparable to the Bibby/Wildcat? 3, 3+, or 4?
    3 is quite a bit softer than my Bibbys, especially through the middle of the ski. I haven't fondled a 4 so I don't know how close those are.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    3 is quite a bit softer than my Bibbys, especially through the middle of the ski. I haven't fondled a 4 so I don't know how close those are.
    Thats what I figured. Im 6 ft 175 lbs, and ski the bibby in the 190. Want to get something more pow oriented than the Bibby, and the Chipotle Bananas didnt cut it, so now I am Protest curious. Most of my skis are on the stiffer end of the spectrum, so I figured a 4 flex might be best, but wouldnt want that to be too stiff to deter from their pow performance.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    Thats what I figured. Im 6 ft 175 lbs, and ski the bibby in the 190. Want to get something more pow oriented than the Bibby, and the Chipotle Bananas didnt cut it, so now I am Protest curious. Most of my skis are on the stiffer end of the spectrum, so I figured a 4 flex might be best, but wouldnt want that to be too stiff to deter from their pow performance.
    Like I have said previously and spoke to keith in great detail about a stiffer protest, these shapes lend themselves to a stiffer flex profile. The ski really doesn’t rely on tip flex for float as it gets it’s float from just in front of the binding/widest point. Same reason the Lotus 138 is so stiff. It makes the ski more knife like, enhances it’s acceleration through and out of a turn as well as helps it deal with chopped up conditions better than the stock 3 flex.