Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    If I get another pair of Protests, I’d go CCR.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Might as well just do Powder Boards. At least that was Keiths recco when I was building my Protest and asked about CCR. That tiny bit of camber, i would be fine with flat camber, and side cut makes them more versatile.

PSA: Not sure if anyone's shared this yet but just came across these at GT

https://www.geartrade.com/item/67226...-tabke-protest

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Might as well just do Powder Boards. At least that was Keiths recco when I was building my Protest and asked about CCR. That tiny bit of camber, I would be fine with flat camber, and side cut makes them more versatile.
    Yeah don't think I'd wanna go full CCR either, was thinking flat underfoot like my pair of 188s. Maybe it wouldn't make much of difference with the current shape anywhoo. Wonder if that's still an option for the spring custom sale though?

(here's the 188s for reference)

Name:  protest 1.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  164.7 KB
    Name:  protest 2.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  150.9 KB

Skied my 187 Protests in the Crystal WA all-time powder this weekend and they are bar-none the best pow ski I've ever been on. They are magnificent!

Bonus in pic are my buddy's 184 flex 3 FRD and some fun Praxis poles.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm looking to accentuate the top end of my quiver currently occupied by 187 protests in stock flex. Considering going to 192's as a more Cat ski/epic inbounds setup. For people who have skied both lengths: differences? FWIW I'm 6'2 195# and getting a little chargier every season but don't often drop much.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I'm looking to accentuate the top end of my quiver currently occupied by 187 protests in stock flex. Considering going to 192's as a more Cat ski/epic inbounds setup. For people who have skied both lengths: differences? FWIW I'm 6'2 195# and getting a little chargier every season but don't often drop much.
    I've only skied the 192, but at 6' 165# I'm happy on that length. Could possibly arrange a demo if you're a ~305 BSL.

If you dont already have a line on a pair, let me know: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ht=192+protest

Absolutely a killer ski on the one cat day i had on them. I am about the same size as you and think they are the perfect size... if i was only maching open bowls all the time and sending bigger drops id probably rather have the 196, but the 192s killed it everywhere.

We are similar size, I’ve had two pairs of 196s, and I’d go down to the 192s if I got another pair. The 196s were great, just big.

If anyone is considering selling an UL pair I'm probably interested.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    If you dont already have a line on a pair, let me know: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ht=192+protest

Absolutely a killer ski on the one cat day i had on them. I am about the same size as you and think they are the perfect size... if i was only maching open bowls all the time and sending bigger drops id probably rather have the 196, but the 192s killed it everywhere.
    I'm 6', 185 and completely agree.

I'm about the same size as y'all (and have bought one or two (?) pairs from STLHD) - 6', 195. I have the 187 stock flex carbon for touring, and absolutely love them. I'd imagine the 192 would be perfect for a resort ski length. Buddy the same size as them has the 196 for resorts, and loves them too.

Another buddy has the 192 UL for touring...and guess what...he fucking loves them.

Why you selling Cali-Grown? YOU DON'T LOVE THEM?!?!????
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Why you selling Cali-Grown? YOU DON'T LOVE THEM?!?!????
    Haha i just never really meshed with them at my home mountain (Alpental). They are easily the best ski in my quiver for bigger mountains, or for catskiing ( and i want to emphasize how good they were and made me ski when catskiing)... but i just didn't jive with them for the terrain and conditions i would mostly ski them on (tight, techy, dense snow where i rarely get to let them run)... so i decided to pass them along before they got beat up from their life of 2 laps and back to the car on pow days.

Also, have some personal stuff happening which makes thinning the quiver a good idea. OG 191 Billygoats will continue their decade of service as my pow skis.

I'm 6'0 190 or so and have the OG 188's. Never wanted for a longer ski although I've never used them up in big steep open terrain. I'd say if you ride a lot of trees or similar stuff, stay with the 187s
    Last edited by lrn2swim; 02-01-2021 at 09:22 PM.

So I am 6-3 195. So same and am skiing pretty aggressive but also more finesse than brute strength. Had 187. Just a little small and under gunner in 2 feet. Went to Stock flex 192 and it’s amazing. Rips pow and trees and carved rails. Very good swing weight.

So listen carefully. Put down the app and buy the protests. Don’t pass go, do not collect $200. PM the guy and if his BSL or hole conflict works and buy them.

I have skied a lot of skis. Still have a quiver. If had to sell most of them I would likely end up with protest, billy goat and rustler 11.

If you want more in depth send a PM and happy to provide more details or answer questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612225856.733652.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	360830

Name:	Image1612225882.779089.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	360831

Name:	Image1612225898.013513.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	360832

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Me: Tahoe tele skier. 150-ish lbs. I’m thinking about replacing my old bibby’s because I figure they’re loosing their pop. Pretty sure they’re pine core ones (first jack and jill graphic). How would these do as a sloppy seconds resort ski? That’s a common fun use of the bibby’s that I love.

Long ago, I used lightranger’s ccr “hybrids” for several powder days. Super (mind blowing) fun, but I never got time on them in sloppy seconds type snow.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Me: Tahoe tele skier. 150-ish lbs. I’m thinking about replacing my old bibby’s because I figure they’re loosing their pop. Pretty sure they’re pine core ones (first jack and jill graphic). How would these do as a sloppy seconds resort ski? That’s a common fun use of the bibby’s that I love.

Long ago, I used lightranger’s ccr “hybrids” for several powder days. Super (mind blowing) fun, but I never got time on them in sloppy seconds type snow.
    Bibbys rule in chop and crud; Protests are miles better in any sort of consistent 3D snow. Both awesome skis. YMMV.... but your mileage is gonna be sweet either way with either of those sticks.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Bibbys rule in chop and crud; Protests are miles better in any sort of consistent 3D snow. Both awesome skis. YMMV.... but your mileage is gonna be sweet either way with either of those sticks.
    Yeah. I own both. Both great skis, but not really substitutes for each other. They do different things.

Really fucking cool.
    Name:  myKsa9K.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  83.5 KB
    Old's Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

For what it's worth, I put away my Protests as soon as everything gets chewed up at the resort and go to Billy goats, which I consider to be largely an equivalent to the Biby pro. Less work, and it makes less sense to be driving around something so substantial if it isn't deep enough to enjoy.

Thanks all. I also have l138’s, which I love before things get chewed up. In theory, I put away the l138’s when it starts to get skied out. I’m looking to avoid that trip to the car with the boards to replace my current bibby’s.

The protest is not for sloppy seconds. It will demand freshies and punish you for not seeking them out and providing them. Hence why it's my touring rig.

Anybody know what a 187 UL veneer layup weighs?

At that width itd be around 1lb off of stock

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    The protest is not for sloppy seconds. It will demand freshies and punish you for not seeking them out and providing them. Hence why it's my touring rig.
    Id think that might depend on the build. My standard build was faultless in chop or wind press apart from the 3 flex. Nothing like it. Still great but i think a 4 flex(at my 170lb weight) heavy hitter with veneer would be stable af anywhere

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Wind or rain crusts and variable density pow are a totally different story, it dominates those conditions for sure. Chopped up moguls and such? My knees just can't see it... ymmv.