Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    My pair are first gen. Delivered in November 2008 when Keith still called them "Hybrids."

He gave you the option of "continuous-curves rocker" like the Powderboards or "recurve" (which was flat or slightly cambered with rocker on both ends, IIRC). Mine are full rocker like the PBs. Black snowflake topsheets. I'm guessing it's a unique pair based on what his volume was like then.
    I think the ones I have are maybe from '09. They definitely have a large flat spot, maybe 1mm of camber, hard to tell. All black bases with no logo and the Japanese Waterfall topsheet. Got em from Power Sauce in GS for super cheap as they were really beat up, but EVO did an AMAZING job tuning them back to life and Alpine Hut somehow got a 4th mount to work. Kudos to them both.

I just wanted to update on firm snow performance - I switched from a brick stiff boot to a much softer boot that was just a bit more upright - holy shit did the Protest improve! Much quicker edge to edge and more predictable on the hard. Just a touch of tongue input in the boot was all it took.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    I just wanted to update on firm snow performance - I switched from a brick stiff boot to a much softer boot that was just a bit more upright - holy shit did the Protest improve! Much quicker edge to edge and more predictable on the hard. Just a touch of tongue input in the boot was all it took.
    That makes a lot of sense to someone who loves the Protest/Maestrale combo.

Quote Originally Posted by HighWest View Post
    TLT6 P on mine without power strap and using a green tongue.

^^
    Them's some strong toes!

without spamming out this thread the protest is my favourite pow ski ever. Got the long one set up alpine and the 187 tech also on tlt6's. I like them cause they make no sacrifice anywhere in the soft on the hard the are still fun but not in a lay out carve type of way and I wouldnt want them to be. So its either straight lining back to a lift or trying to get down with some real short turn radius stuff. I cant get them to carve and I have tried while the will do loong loong turns they dont carve at least not for me. The biggest thing is the low rocker, keeps the tip from flopping all over the place and when you get the rythm right linking up short turns can be fun cause they feel short in terms of edge and without any real sidecut you can wash the turn out pretty nicely.

Again with spamming it out skip to 1:40 and thats the type of turn it seems to like the most at least for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Also now understand why Praxis did a GPO in a similar pattern/ rocker.
    Dane would you be able to elaborate on this?

I know the majority sees the GPO as a "daily driver" and the Protest as powder only, but as you pointed out there are similarities.

I've never skied big skis, usually I bust out the snowboard on powder days, and I'm finally adding a fat ski for soft days at Mammoth. Was thinking GPO because of the waist width is "standard" but the Protest gets so many props for being versatile I'm considering it now.

Currently on 184 Movement Sluff (99 waist) and aforementioned snowboard.

I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't like the protest for resort skiing so much.
    A lot underfoot, if the surface was bumped up at all or heavily tracked it was a handful.
    I had the 187.

I do like the 177 protest for backcountry skiing mounted with dynafits, again for bc snow conditions.

I have the 182 gpo which I find to ski a wide range of resort and bc conditions well up to 1-2 feet of fresh.

I think for mammoth and since your other ski is a 99 mm ski, that the 116 mm gpo will handle the range of snow conditions better than the protests would.

The gpo shape is so nicely dialed.

My two cents
    Aggressive in my own mind

[QUOTE=fischtank;4253490

Currently on 184 Movement Sluff (99 waist) and aforementioned snowboard.[/QUOTE]

I think the GPO is a bit of a no brainer. After a season on them, what stands out to me is just how fun and easy they are in so many situations. FWIW I'm about 160 and went 187 carbon. Its sooo easy to throw around and I found the weight savings made a difference in how long I could ski on pow days without fatigue.

Since this is a Protest thread i should mention I am beyond psyched for the ones I picked up for this season. Not because of any real shortcomings in the GPO; it's just fun to try different skis. Lots of people talk about how versatile the Protest is for such a big ski, but the GPO is versatile without caveats, every day I skied it i had fun, and that includes the shitiest shortest iciest east coast bullshit.

If you want a ski that does pow really well, and skis all over the mountain very easily GPO. Protest (in my mind and to be confirmed next year) is a pow experience, that won't ruin your day getting back to lifts, and can even be fun in mediocre conditions depending on your approach.

I don't know. I sold my GPOs and kept my Protests... The GPO is a great one ski quiver (probably the best...), but when you have multiple pairs, it starts to take a back seat. I ski mammoth and I could not justify the GPO between my Superbros, Cochise, and Protest. Really fun ski, just could not find a condition where it outperformed my other skis.

Nothing. Nothing I have skied is more fun than my 196 Protests in >6" of fresh snow. Think first chair on 23, three massive turns down Wipeout. I think I just jizzed my pants.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Nothing. Nothing I have skied is more fun than my 196 Protests in >6" of fresh snow. .
    This makes me very excited. I can't imagine ever getting rid of my GPOs but who knows Looking forward to next season.

Thanks hoarhey, Shu Shu and nick for the posts. And many thanks hoarhey for the PM.

It's funny, Keith emailed me back (which is awesome) and his assessment of the skis seemed really similar to hoarhey and Shu Shu, but then he recommended the Protest. I think there is already a wealth of info out there for both skis so it's really going to come down to me understanding what I want out of the ski and being honest about how I can use it, conditions-wise, since I won't be at Mammoth for every storm day.

Love the thoughts though.

Edit: nick your Wipe Out wet dream sounds like what I like to do on my board, which is funny because one of the comments from Keith was that the Protest could be the ski that makes me leave my snowboard at home.
    Last edited by fischtank; 05-30-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Let's talk mount point on the Protests.

Just picked up a pair of 187s with the standard fiberglass layup and a stiffer than stock flex (right on the line between Med+ and Med/Stiff, according to Keith.

The dimple is at 8cm back from true center. I have a pretty traditional, tip driving style and tend to prefer my Praxis mounted a little back from where Keith recommends. For example, I love my GPOs at -2cm (so 9cm back from center) and wish I had mounted my last pair of Freerides at -1cm instead of on the line. I generally hate center mounted skis.

I seem to remember some talk that the dimple was once at -9cm and got moved forward to -8cm. So, I'm thinking of mounting at -1cm or -2cm from the dimple (or -9cm from true center).

Thoughts, especially from those that have time on GPOs as well?

I have original Protests which were billed as 188s. There was no dimple or mark and after a few emails with Praxis I mounted at 101.5 straight pull from the tips, equating to -7.5 from center. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd think -1 or -2 would be fine.

FWIW:
    I own GPOs in 187 and the dimple is about 100.5 back from the tip, which should be -7 from center. I intend on going -1.
    My MVP were mounted on the dimple and though I liked that, I liked it more after I bumped them back.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    I have original Protests which were billed as 188s. There was no dimple or mark and after a few emails with Praxis I mounted at 101.5 straight pull from the tips, equating to -7.5 from center. I wouldn't change a thing. I'd think -1 or -2 would be fine.
    I have the OG Hybrids at 101.5 as well. Good there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Stupid question of the week: what clamp for my 187 carbon Protests??

This will be a second touring rig with occasional resort use in addition to a 105 underfoot dedicated touring ski (190 Praxis BC). Inbounds skis are 180 Brahmas and 190 Bibbys.

Options:

1) Sollyfit with Plums... I just don't trust those Plum toes, so might replace the toes with Dynafit vertical toes. As a result, this is not a zero cost option. Currently mounted on my BCs, but could insert those for double duty. Then again, the Sollyfits would allow both alpine and tech binders to be used with only one mount.

2) Kingpin. Might be the best choice as the lighter weight (compared to Beasts) would make rotating these onto my BCs more palatable. The flat touring mode is also a plus. I could still insert for some alpine binders (but haven't looked at hole conflicts).

3) Beast 16. Heavyweight, best ride (according to the reviews).

Any insight from the masses?? Should I just go with the red ones?

I'd go beast 14's, should be great on resort and short tours, but only because you already have a dedicated BC rig (and they're red!)
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

If you hit the kiddy park rails on the way to the car, beast 16. If not, go 14. Benefit of kingpin is the no need for heel insert. G3 ion can/should also be on the radar. It's already such a big ski...I don't mind the extra grams on my beast/billy goat setup. Worth it at the top to feel locked in.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I would just use Ions (or Radical FTs) unless you really need > 12 DIN

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Let's talk mount point on the Protests.

Just picked up a pair of 187s with the standard fiberglass layup and a stiffer than stock flex (right on the line between Med+ and Med/Stiff, according to Keith.

The dimple is at 8cm back from true center. I have a pretty traditional, tip driving style and tend to prefer my Praxis mounted a little back from where Keith recommends. For example, I love my GPOs at -2cm (so 9cm back from center) and wish I had mounted my last pair of Freerides at -1cm instead of on the line. I generally hate center mounted skis.

I seem to remember some talk that the dimple was once at -9cm and got moved forward to -8cm. So, I'm thinking of mounting at -1cm or -2cm from the dimple (or -9cm from true center).

Thoughts, especially from those that have time on GPOs as well?
    Trying to figure this out as well, would like to hear from people on the more current models.

Quote Originally Posted by EEC View Post
    Trying to figure this out as well, would like to hear from people on the more current models.
    FWIW I ended up going -1cm from dimple and they feel great.

I have I guess second gen protests. Originally I had bishops on em and I found that the sweet spot was fairly large. Moving the bindings around over the 3cm range had little noticeable difference on the soft snow performance. I'll have to look to figure out where my tech bindings are currently mounted but I'm thinking -1.5 and they are fine. Great skis.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

In the process of mounting up some 187 carbon Protests with inserts for Beast 14 and Pivots. Back country on the deep deep days (GPO UL 187 for normal BC use) and deep-ish days for partial lift-serviced, hike-to (stepping up from a 186 Sickle).

Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
    In the process of mounting up some 187 carbon Protests with inserts for Beast 14 and Pivots. Back country on the deep deep days (GPO UL 187 for normal BC use) and deep-ish days for partial lift-serviced, hike-to (stepping up from a 186 Sickle).

You've got the best days covered

Thanks! If I'm going to have a set of days covered, I want it to be those ones. After a mediocre season last year I'm hoping for a Field of Dreams type scenario this season: if you mount them, pow will come.