Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    What year did they change these? 2012?

I found a really good deal on a used pair, but don’t know if it’s older or newer. Is there any way to tell just by looking?

Does it matter?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Any of you aficionados interested in hoarding a 2x drilled pair of 188s?
    Um, yes! Pm coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone ever slack country the Protests? Thinking bout throwing the Adrenalin 16s on em for the occasional tour...

Quote Originally Posted by ALFONSO618 View Post
    Anyone ever slack country the Protests? Thinking bout throwing the Adrenalin 16s on em for the occasional tour...

That be a nice setup to have. I’d like to have a pair with shifts or tectons. My goldilocks length is somewhere between the 177 and 187 so I’ve been thinking of getting a fat 179 wootest(fat makes them grow an extra cm in length as well as width), so basically a 180, 123 underfoot prowoo

Sort of. Mine have Sollyfit plates. I tour on them in Japan, and ski them with STHs at home (NZ Clubfields) . This involves a lot of booting, ridge hiking etc, and touring capability would be a bonus. Salomon Shifts would make sense, if they turn out to not fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    That be a nice setup to have. I’d like to have a pair with shifts or tectons. My goldilocks length is somewhere between the 177 and 187 so I’ve been thinking of getting a fat 179 wootest(fat makes them grow an extra cm in length as well as width), so basically a 180, 123 underfoot prowoo
    Yah the shifts would be sweet... came across some cheap Adrenalins that I couldnt pass up...never really hear about guys slack touring with the Protests...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Bay View Post
    Sort of. Mine have Sollyfit plates. I tour on them in Japan, and ski them with STHs at home (NZ Clubfields) . This involves a lot of booting, ridge hiking etc, and touring capability would be a bonus. Salomon Shifts would make sense, if they turn out to not fall apart.
    How did they seem to tour in japan? My plan is to get to Japan this year and I didnt want to be stuck with a non touring set up...

I'm sure you smiled when proposing "fat Wootest", given the ski's origin. I get the Goldilocks length considerations however. A fat Quixote could be the ticket as well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

How did they seem to tour in japan? My plan is to get to Japan this year and I didnt want to be stuck with a non touring set up...
    The skis tour and handle backcountry snow amazingly well. You will not be disappointed with the ski's performance. The Guardians, however....
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    The skis tour and handle backcountry snow amazingly well. You will not be disappointed with the ski's performance. The Guardians, however....
    They're actually adrenalin 16s....but i hear what you're saying...the reality is that my slack touring is minimal...the cost on those Shifts tho

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    I'm sure you smiled when proposing "fat Wootest", given the ski's origin. I get the Goldilocks length considerations however. A fat Quixote could be the ticket as well.

... Thom
    It’s mostly about the length. I didn’t have much of an issue with my protests in 177 or 187, or not near as much as other pow skis but low 180’s is perfect for me and 180 is a touch on the side of better for touring for me. Amazing the possibilities that the -/+1 option gives. Hadn’t considered a +1 Q until you suggested it. Sounds like a great option.

They're actually adrenalin 16s....but i hear what you're saying...the reality is that my slack touring is minimal...the cost on those Shifts tho
    It’s probably the frame binding vs pin thing. Anyone that’s toured on pins finds it hard to consider frame bindings after touring on pins, especially with all the good boots out with tech fittings now.

It’s mostly about the length. I didn’t have much of an issue with my protests in 177 or 187, or not near as much as other pow skis but low 180’s is perfect for me and 180 is a touch on the side of better for touring for me. Amazing the possibilities that the -/+1 option gives. Hadn’t considered a +1 Q until you suggested it. Sounds like a great option.
    After writing this, I realized that this is the direction that ON3P is taking with the Cease and Desist - a fat Billy Goat, with both BG & C&D being asym. as I understand it.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I think the C&D is still fairly different from the BG. I think they made the camber profile the same, but the tip offset, and all that, are different.

Part of the reason I keep going back to the protest ,or possible variations of it, is the lack of assym. I have no doubt that assym does what it’s designed to do, I just have no interest in giving up the use of edges on one side of my skis for an effect as minimal as assym. I have much more faith in the durability of both praxis and on3p compared to most other brands, so they’re probably the best brands to get an assym ski from, but I’d still much rather be able to swap skis left to right if need be

I ran carbon protests as my pow touring skis while I was still living in close proximity to the backcountry, mounted with Beast 14s, and they handled themselves quite well. I actually took these out more frequently than my UL GPOs given how well I liked them on the way down (for some reason I never really figured out the GPOs compared to the rest of the quiver).

Since moving, the protest + beasts transitioned to resort pow sticks, and while I really love them I don't think I can really justify holding onto a backcountry pow-oriented spot in the quiver when the good portion of the next two years will definitely be "getting my girlfriend up to speed to justify a pair of pow sticks for her too." I was not disappointed with them for the role they played for backcountry/sidecountry use, by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundabout View Post
    I ran carbon protests as my pow touring skis while I was still living in close proximity to the backcountry, mounted with Beast 14s, and they handled themselves quite well. I actually took these out more frequently than my UL GPOs given how well I liked them on the way down (for some reason I never really figured out the GPOs compared to the rest of the quiver).

Since moving, the protest + beasts transitioned to resort pow sticks, and while I really love them I don't think I can really justify holding onto a backcountry pow-oriented spot in the quiver when the good portion of the next two years will definitely be "getting my girlfriend up to speed to justify a pair of pow sticks for her too." I was not disappointed with them for the role they played for backcountry/sidecountry use, by any means.
    Thanks for that info on the Protests! Sounds like they’ll be a good slack tour option for me

Part of the reason I keep going back to the protest ,or possible variations of it, is the lack of assym. I have no doubt that assym does what it’s designed to do, I just have no interest in giving up the use of edges on one side of my skis for an effect as minimal as assym. I have much more faith in the durability of both praxis and on3p compared to most other brands, so they’re probably the best brands to get an assym ski from, but I’d still much rather be able to swap skis left to right if need be
    Definitely not trying to bang the drum about asym. If anything, I see it as a minor negative on hard snow and I can't see any advantages in the soft stuff. I wonder how much of what I like about the ski has to do with asym. I suspect not much, based on what I'm loving about my Countdown CD 104s, but I know crap about ski design.

Having said that, after only two days on my Protests, I have way more fun on Qs in soft snow, which is was what led me to ponder a +10 Q.

My third day on my Protests will have to wait until next year to see if I bond with them, but I'm not optimistic. Then again, it took me 5 or 6 days to figure out Q's, so maybe my pessimism is unwarranted.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Oh ya, I’m not bagging on asym. Just the way I maintain my skis. Bit of a slacker eh. Tune them twice a year and maybe do my edges 3 or 4 times. Try not to grind them just ptex and scrape. When I need edges they’re usually there, if not swap them left to right and sharpen them after pricrastunating for a while. Cheap and lazy I guess. No fancy edge angles. Keep them kind of sharp and flat and waxed enough to get me around the traverses. Sometimes the bottom of the edges may have burs for a while. Not on the clock or in gates, just need a little edge or glide occasionally in my pow skis
    As much as I like my gpo’s, I miss my protests. They make the funkiest snow easy and pretty much everywhere fun. Pretty stoked to see a 179 wootest become available. 123 waisted woopro might have added benefits/versatility . Hope yours work for you eventually, if not they’re ez to sell and you have your gpo and q’s that sound pretty sweet

Hey, I think Im going to finally pull the trigger on a pair after lurking for a while. Im a bit confused on the preferred construction for inbounds freeride. Im thinking Enduro Carbon Veneer Flex 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E View Post
    Hey, I think Im going to finally pull the trigger on a pair after lurking for a while. Im a bit confused on the preferred construction for inbounds freeride. Im thinking Enduro Carbon Veneer Flex 3?
    Depends on where you are, how big you are and how you ski. I think flex 3 is right for a pow ski, but others like 4. I'm 175# and ski Colorado. If I was in maritime a 3+ or 4 would be better.

You've no doubt read my whining in this thread. I know I'm in the minority and I might regret this, as I've been letting my ad sit until next Fall, but if these work for you, let me know.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...97#post5318197

I haven't even bothered to take photos yet (didn't want to be tempted by too many offers), but the more I think about the last time I was in knee deep snow, it was regrettably too long ago (4 years ago in Utah?).

If the Wardens interest you, we can talk about that as well.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

I asked Keith directly this question since I’m doing a custom veneer 192. He said to go Enduro, flex 4 for me since I wanted something just a tad stiffer than my 188’s which scale at a 3. The shape lends itself to a stiffer flex. 5’10 195lbs.

Thanks for the offer Thom, but my sole length wont jive with your holes. Thanks fo the feedback Funky. I may just go that route.

You know have a fat ski addiction when ... my # of pow skis > my # powder days

Thanks for the offer Thom, but my sole length wont jive with your holes. Thanks fo the feedback Funky. I may just go that route.

You know have a fat ski addiction when ... my # of pow skis > my # powder days
    You're welcome. Your last sentence is the story of my past decade. I'm doing it all wrong :-(

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

After some debate and thought I think I’m gonna keep the Protests as a resort only pow ski and pick a different ski for my slack tour set up... any suggestions? Praxis Backcountry? Qs? Wootest? GPO? ON3P Steeple 116? C@D?