Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Basically buy whatever flex between 3-4 that presents it$elf
    And get ta skiing...

Protest > Q
    [for me]

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    PNW protest mags, is standard flex good enough or is 4 necessary for inbounds skiing? Will only be bringing out on deep days as I already have some Bibby’s.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I own a 3 flex ProTest and am looking to do a custom ProTest in a 4 flex. The 3 is nice in fresh pow but I'm really curious how a 4 would ski. If the ProTest in the build/length and top sheet came up in in GS for a good deal in a 3 flex, I would probably jump on it.

Anyone have any insight on a protest with the heavy core? Probably make it even better in the heavy mank it already excels in?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Anyone have any insight on a protest with the heavy core? Probably make it even better in the heavy mank it already excels in?
    Mine are similar in build to today's heavy core and I think a stiffer flex would help more in heavy cut up mank than just the build. The heavy build will help with less deflection and add some heft to bust through.

Just spent my first 3 days on my 192s (enduro, veneer, carbon, #4). First two days were deep, first was 40-60 cm blower, second had warmed up, snow a bit heavier. Third had a bunch of windslab, sun crust, and some shaded deep soft snow.

Been on 11/12 191 BGs for deep (and not so deep, and ... well, a lot) days since ... 2011. Compared to the old BGs, the protests float and pivot easily at marginally slower speeds, have similar maneuverability at pace (though they're a bit qualitatively different), are close to as stable when landing (note: I'm a pussy, nothing over 10' so ... YMMV).

Ran into some debris, and some crusted over shit where snow had torn away. This was the place where I missed the tank-like nature of the BG. On punchy/grabby snow, the BGs weight was helpful, and on full on debris fields and crust, the BG is better. IDGAF about that stuff, but it's nice to be able to move through it quickly and get back to nice snow.

All in all, I prefer the BGs for resort pow, but for perfect bc/cat/heli days the protests are a bit better, especially when snow isn't that stable. oh yeah, and the protests are sexy.

Praxis Protest..just how cool is it?

Anyone care to give me a comparison on the 188 camo graphic with the dude on the tail, vs new 192 ProTest? Looking to do a custom here soon and was wondering what build would be similar in dampness? Pretty sure I'm doing a 4 flex as well.
    How similar do they ski?

My impression is the older one is a little more damp/heavy, and a little more like the powderboards compared to the newest version. Extra 4 cm will give you a little extra stability on landings and high speed I'd imagine, but the core differences might negate that.

I picked up a pair of 188s, but won't be able to compare them to my 192 veneers til next season

Ok, thanks. I love the slarvability of the 188 as well as how easy it pivots and it's quickness in trees. If the new profile keeps those attributes, then I will be stoked. The 188 gets me back to the lift just fine, can even carve a trench if it's soft. I have zero issues with it on groomers. Not sure I agree with the new extra side cut, I haven't skied it so maybe I'm talking out my ass. Think I'll make a call to Praxis and pick their brains as well.
    Anyone else??
    Last edited by 2FUNKY; 03-09-2018 at 06:11 PM.

I’d be interested in trying the 192 in a heavy core, no carbon. Maybe flex 3 or 4? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I’d be interested in trying the 192 in a heavy core, no carbon. Maybe flex 3 or 4? Thoughts?
    I’d still go enduro. Simply because of how much ski a heavy core protest would be. On3p uses their tour core for the c and d because it’s just too much damn ski otherwise. That change was made in 12/13 I think? Much more manageable ski thereafter.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I’d still go enduro. Simply because of how much ski a heavy core protest would be.
    X2, also I think the MAP has been highly underrated here since Keith brought the heavy back, it's really very very good, as is the latest Protest iteration. Personally I absolutely love the Protest in the 4 and def wouldn't want it softer
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    X2, also I think the MAP has been highly underrated here since Keith brought the heavy back, it's really very very good, as is the latest Protest iteration. Personally I absolutely love the Protest in the 4 and def wouldn't want it softer
    X3. I have 196cm with the MAP in a #4 and it is the perfect flex for the PNW. Has handled everything that Alpental has thrown at it this year. Nice and damp when snow gets heavier. I miss a bit of the playfulness of my old Bent Chetler, but not the deflection.

I have heavy core Qs and i love them but i wouldn't dream of adding the heavy core to the protest. Its just too big a ski. I have MAP carbon and it keeps the fatigue down and skis amazing. Carbon not necessary but i enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shu Shu View Post
    I have heavy core Qs and i love them but i wouldn't dream of adding the heavy core to the protest. Its just too big a ski. I have MAP carbon and it keeps the fatigue down and skis amazing. Carbon not necessary but i enjoy it.
    What do you feel the carbon adds?

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    What do you feel the carbon adds?
    Weight reduction, a bit more pop in the flex. I think If i were to do it again i would add the veneer. The veneer seems to mellow the carbon harshness a bit.

^ my first protests were 192 carbon/map 4 flex. I decided to sell them and buy 192 enduro veneer 3 flex.

After skiing these and my brother's carbon enduro BC's, I've decided I'm not a fan of of Praxis Carbon in the resort. Transfers too much chatter IMO

Veneer has similar weight reduction, while also making the skis look better and adding a bit of dampness which is a win-win-win to me

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    ^ my first protests were 192 carbon/map 4 flex. I decided to sell them and buy 192 enduro veneer 3 flex.
    How do you feel about flex 3 vs 4? I will likely order your current build, which I think is the stock build now. For their intended purpose I think the 3 would suit me well, but I keep thinking about big dump days with heavier/denser snow that the 4 might be better for crossing tracks on open faces.

I only got out once on my new pair this season in some nice fresh pow and they seemed to handle it well and I couldn't much of a difference between 3 and 4. The 192s are pushing it lengthwise for me, so the softer flex was to make them a little more manageable in tight CO trees. Softer flex helps float a little as well at slower speeds.

What's your height/weight? If you're over 6' and 200+ lbs I'd definitely think going 4 might be a good choice

5’ 10” 170. Want to prioritize slower over higher speeds with this particular ski so I should probably stick with the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I’d still go enduro. Simply because of how much ski a heavy core protest would be. On3p uses their tour core for the c and d because it’s just too much damn ski otherwise. That change was made in 12/13 I think? Much more manageable ski thereafter.
    My 2017 C&Ds are beasts, even with the tour core. More charger than 189 BGs, although not as burly as 2x stiff Supergoats.

Anyone skied both C&Ds and Protests, and can comment on which one is more capable for resort skiing? I find the C&Ds a little too much for the resort. They work, but I much prefer the BGs for powder bumps and soft groomers.

On the other hand, in untracked conditions, the C&D is probably the best ski I have ever skied. Hands down. Can Enduro #4 protests charge as hard as C&D’s?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    5’ 10” 170. Want to prioritize slower over higher speeds with this particular ski so I should probably stick with the 3.
    I would say go 3. You could split the difference and go 3+ too

Quote Originally Posted by wwwllw View Post
    3 flex will be $$ for what you describe.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    I would say go 3. You could split the difference and go 3+ too
    I have a goldilocks 3+ and its awesome (5,10 170). Muggy to your earlier point i agree that in the MAP core veneer is a better option for reducing weight for resort biased use, especially in the big pow skis. In the 100 and 115 classes Heavy Carbon Veneer is ridiculously good.

The damping effect of veneer is like adding another pound or so to the ski, while actually removing weight. Call me a believer.

I doubt I'll ever veer from Enduro/Carbon/Veneer on any builds - whether for lift or touring, but then again, I don't charge like some of you.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Finally pulled the trigger. Some damn smexy sticks, can’t believe how light there are

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D40A313D-832F-4D4E-97C4-AFC9F02C9C9B.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	719.9 KB 
ID:	228900