Thread: Pants Shopping.

Pants Shopping.

I need new pants for the next ski season. Regular pants are a 34x30. 5'8" @175lbs. Large hips and thighs. Probably 60/40 for resort/touring. Outer leg zips are a plus, because I generate a lot of heat and sweat. Probably looking for something 2L.

Go go gadget tech talk.
    Last edited by tBatt; 08-31-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Saga for you fer sure.

I was thinking about FDWear, actually..

Then I can be a real hard core, gang bangin, gun shooting gangsta like David Lesh.

Look at Oakley? Some models have good sized outer zips AND inner zips which creates some seriously good airflow. Great to hike in. Loved the Flare pants from a couple years ago (bought two while they were on closeout). Depends on the model, but some can be pretty baggy, which I personally like - more unencumbered movement. I usually size up for non-stretch so that they can hang from suspenders so the waist is completely loose. It works better for moguls and hucking, and other dynamic movements, otherwise I'm feeling constrained and always popping buttons.

I was good for shredding a pair of pants a year until I started purchasing Flylow products.

Flylow size medium.

I'll be the third to recommend flylow. Cheaper and lasts longer than most else. I skied the PNWet in the 10k stuff and never had a problem.

Fly low chemical large at Bentgate for $170
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Flylow for durability, but try them on first; you may be swimming in a size L.

I'm 6'1 x 170-175 and I would have been better off in a Medium (Magnum Pants).

Very nice pants, though, if a tad heavy.

I got some flylow's at the end of last year and they seem pretty bomber. I'm 6'2" and 205ish and I went with XLs
    It's not tragic to die doing what you love.
    http://www.flickr.com/pearljam09/
    http://pearljam09.blogspot.com/

I'm 5'10" 180. 34-31 pants. Medium ski pants (and many 34-waisted trousers of all kinds) are generally too tight in the hips and usually the thighs too. Larges ski pants are usually too long. Flylow mediums are a perfect fit. Larges would probably work too if I was into bagginess. I have the Magnums. They're starting to show a little wear after two seasons, but still going strong. What would I change? The cuffs are wider than is practical when using crampons. The DWR is below average. They look like this:

Not sure if you can swing a deal on last years model but the strafe outwear pants/bib have been great for me this past season.

very breathable with outer leg zips and in my experience super durable after 30ish days in them last season. there are some other good reviews on them floating around here.

Another for FlyLow. They tend to run wide-ish and a wee bit short. If you want extra room, go with the Stash. Otherwise, the Chemical or the BC Magnum if want another pocket and lighter weight.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Fly low chemical large at Bentgate for $170
    Looks like I'll be going with Flylow, but I'd definitely be swimming in Larges. Probably going for a magnum or magnum BC, but I'm not having the easiest time finding anywhere with Mediums left in stock from last year.

if you're unable to find a pair of Magnum mediums; I could sell you mine. They are getting a new outer vent zipper this morning from the fine folks at FlyLow. Color is 'ink', I believe. Sort of a super dark blue/purple.

my pants duh

I'm in a similar boat, though looking more for 60/40 BC to resort. Are the flylows pretty heavy, or not so bad? I have a pair of single-layer Spyder pants that I like a lot but after 5+ years the fabric is basically just failing on me and tearing apart. I'm in Colorado, so overheating in dry conditions is a bigger issue for me than trying to stay dry in wet conditions.

I tried a pair of Patagonia Triolets but their medium is way too long for me; the knee articulation point hit me in the upper shin, so they were constraining to skin in. So, OP, don't buy those.

I'm 32x30 and medium Flylow Chemical pants fit me good.

Just skied my first day of wet conditions for the winter, and discovered my (1 and a bit season old) Patagonia Snowdrifter Bibs have lost any semblance of waterproofing. By lunchtime it was as though someone had poured a jug of beer into my crotch! On closer inspection, the whole crotch/inside leg area has delaminated. Back for a full credit they go.
    So suddenly I’m shopping for new ski pants. After this experience, I’ve resolved to go back to Goretex for waterproofing and more than a season durability.
    I can get deals (and appreciate the warranty policies) on OR, Patagonia , and Arc’teryx, but supply is very limited at the moment.
    OR don’t have anything suitable available in my size, and I couldn’t try anything on.
    A local shop had Flylow Baker bibs on close-out in my size, but they fit like workwear.
    I was able to try on the Arc’teryx Rush Pants in a Medium, which fit length and waist wise, but I found them weirdly restrictive, too low in the front, and both the button closures and fly inadequate. I’m pretty long and lean, and so I have trouble imagining who these’d fit. I had been considering the Arc’teryx Ski Guide Bib Pants, but reviews mentioned similar fit issues, so abandoned that idea.
    I tried on the Patagonia Powderbowl pants in a medium, which fit slightly longer and looser than (my) ideal, but comfortable. On that basis I’ve ordered their Untracked Pants (apparently the same fit), and am hoping for the best.

34x32 and medium Flylow pants fit with a belt. I just don't like the stovepipe/Carhartt fit for tele skiing as there is just too much fabric.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Just skied my first day of wet conditions for the winter, and discovered my (1 and a bit season old) Patagonia Snowdrifter Bibs have lost any semblance of waterproofing. By lunchtime it was as though someone had poured a jug of beer into my crotch! On closer inspection, the whole crotch/inside leg area has delaminated. Back for a full credit they go.
    So suddenly I’m shopping for new ski pants. After this experience, I’ve resolved to go back to Goretex for waterproofing and more than a season durability.
    I can get deals (and appreciate the warranty policies) on OR, Patagonia , and Arc’teryx, but supply is very limited at the moment.
    OR don’t have anything suitable available in my size, and I couldn’t try anything on.
    A local shop had Flylow Baker bibs on close-out in my size, but they fit like workwear.
    I was able to try on the Arc’teryx Rush Pants in a Medium, which fit length and waist wise, but I found them weirdly restrictive, too low in the front, and both the button closures and fly inadequate. I’m pretty long and lean, and so I have trouble imagining who these’d fit. I had been considering the Arc’teryx Ski Guide Bib Pants, but reviews mentioned similar fit issues, so abandoned that idea.
    I tried on the Patagonia Powderbowl pants in a medium, which fit slightly longer and looser than (my) ideal, but comfortable. On that basis I’ve ordered their Untracked Pants (apparently the same fit), and am hoping for the best.
    Just a bit bigger (33 inch waist now usually in regular pants, a few 34 for tight cut) and I have a pair of Dare2B ski pants in large. I was in medium in another brand and they were just not right in the waist with a heavier base layer under them. Maybe could have gone medium on the Dare2B as they have adjustable side tabs to tighten or loosen the waist (plus the double snap and zipper in the front. Suspenders (which can on this pair be removed if you do not want them or need them. They are longer than some pants also, so take that into consideration. (I have a 32 inch inseam and they are fine with ski boots, but if a boarder wore them, I'd wonder about the bindings on them.

I ski the Patagonia Untracked and they are awesome. The are a little bit trimmer than the Powder Bowl, which I like, as I found the PB to be enormous.