Page 58 of 113 FirstFirst ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 2821
    Drove up to Mt. Rose to take the dogs out for some snow rampaging. Still 7500' snow levels as of about 3 PM today. Heavy wet snow accumulating at the Rose base.

Went for a very short walk off the turnout just west of the main side at Rose -- the parking area between the main side and the hourglass trailhead -- got a little ways down the hill, then was postholing to my waist, with my feet down to branches and shrubs at the bottom. Like Spats said, weird to see bottomless Sierra cement.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    *or stop spending excessive money on airfare/gas
    Or dinner. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Until you have to do anything but go straight down the fall line, at which point you're in the same non-buoyant boat as the rest of us, but with your feet stuck together

At least you carry poles so you might be able to get back up. In this sort of bottomless concrete you could seriously end up NARSID even without a tree well. I'm not sure people realize just how crazy the snowpack is...I can't recall ever seeing bottomless dense concrete before. I tipped over on a switchback and TahoeBC had to help me back up!
    that is some serious mank but great news for bondage, when it plasters it sticks, when it sticks it lasts.
    b

so was kirkwood open today or not?

We waited a couple of hours for the Spur to open and followed a long train of cars to the bottom of Chair 6 where we were told the mountain wouldn't be opening - we could stop for an overpriced burger if we wanted - thanks. This was about 11:30AM.

Now back home and no mention of being closed on the Kwood website - did they change their mind later?

They opened chair 5 around 1PM.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Jeezuz, by the time this shit gets amenably skiable, next years passes will be on sale...

SuPu

try to channel the Aloha...it's not worth it worrying about the so-called HardCoreLocal. U going to KW no matter what.

Canyon chair opened late am. The entire run was studded with riders stuck waist deep in cement. Couldn't stop laughing.

Thanks to all who posted updates on snow conditions...and please keep them coming...here is hoping the snow level hovers around 7000'

you all have created a wonderful community for which many [including myself] r very grateful. keep it up.

haters should get more aerobic exercise

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    I can't recall ever seeing bottomless dense concrete before.
    I've ski'd snow like you're describing, but that was back in the old skinny ski days, 80s & 90s. We called it legbreaker snow. Didn't really think it was possible with the new fat skis. Thanks for the report, sounds like it's a job for the old Spatulas tomorrow.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Has anyone been out at Jakes / Rubicon area lately? Or Mt Rose / tamarak?

What I poked around today was just as described. Kind of glad 5 opened, as anything I would have felt safe hiking would have been as much work down as up.

Been raining at the base of KW for two hours now. Gonna need some cold air to get much epic ness tomorrow. I kind of feel some one cursed us for tomorrow. Oh well, I'm busting out of here early morning anyhow. Now I'm going to go out and put some time into my ice cave work.

If ya are skiing tomorrow spats or praxis pows my help save a knee. But I'd bet even those babies will get buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Canyon chair opened late am. The entire run was studded with riders stuck waist deep in cement. Couldn't stop laughing.
    Take a picture next time - sounds hilarious.

Good thing we're going to have this great base for the next storm.

*checks forecast*

Sees higher temps and more rain at the end of next week. We're so fucked.

We skinned up to Donner Ridge today looking for some low angle turns. It was hammering at 7800, but so sticky and wet...snow line was about 7400 at 1pm and was about 7200 at 3pm.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Back to light snow at 7800'. Lots of water dripping from trees tho.

Heave with dblatto and mildbill today. 3 untracked runs before lines got crazy, finished up at East face then called it. Meanwhile, an MIA Clack is recovering from a night that started at Cabo Wabo, and ended in the back seat of a South Lake Tahoe police car at 4am. Oops I have said too much already.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    i was at jake's on friday. it was excellent but you could still find the bottom.

Thanks for the beta everyone. I'm wondering if at least the diurnal heating/cooling will at least help consolidate the gloppy stuff so that we can get back on top of it toward the end of the week ... Will need some cold nights this week to make that happen though.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Toured up the south side of ward Canyon about 7k feet today. Raining hard and whatever left of the snowpack down there was melting away. Lots of exposed logs, stumps and debris made the ski down more like a sidestep down.

Still raining in ward Canyon. Isn't it supposed to go to snow tonight? Weather sensor at the summit of Alpine is still reading 33 degrees

thanks - good for those that waited I guess.

Wish the pikers had told us there was a chance something would open. That's Kwood for ya I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by thefrush View Post
    They opened chair 5 around 1PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Pitueee View Post
    Yes, skied a couple laps off Tamarack yesterday. Lots of people out there skiing all day long.....skin track is a highway. Snow crazy deep. That said, could hear lots of definite "whumping" so be careful.
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by doctapow View Post
    thanks - good for those that waited I guess.

Wish the pikers had told us there was a chance something would open. That's Kwood for ya I guess.
    Don't think you really missed much. And I don't think they thought mt ops would give any kind of clearance. The snow level went up and down several times Saturday night making for a nice layered glop upside down cake. I actually give props to KW for actually trying to call it. Cohee would have claimed 40" of pow pow with moderate ridge top winds and the lifts about to spin even as the power plant was burning to the ground.

Anyway. Looks like 6 inches on the deck railing this morning with a light snow falling and little wind. Go get it kids.

An inch or so this morning at base level (or a bit lower) here in Olympic Valley. Presumably that equates to 10" or so up top.

Update: Squaw says they have 17 lifts on schedule today, I guess we'll see.
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 02-10-2014 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Looks like 6 inches on the deck railing this morning with a light snow falling and little wind. Go get it kids.
    Is that 6" of the lighter variety of snow? got an inch here at the house in south lake, seems to little to late for these parts, debating if its worthwhile to head over there this morning.

You guys think Summit chair at Alpine will open this morning? Listed as scheduled but it sounds like that's not too reliable...