26" Wheelset help

This is going on my 2011 stumpy w/ the 9mm thru up front and QR skewer in the back w/ 10x.

Spent a really long time trying to get my rear wheel (swiss dt 420) true - it's just bent and beat to shit (front and rear)... needs more TLC than makes financial sense.

Options:
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Expert $218 Lightly used off Ebay
    2010 Mavic Crossride $210 shipped www.bikewagon.com
    azonic outlaw $350 (definitely more than I was hoping to spend, but highly recommended)

I'm not 100% opposed to spending a little more or trying something else - but after looking at jumping to the 650b w/ a Panaracer fire 2.1... I'm just not sure I want to be locked into 1 tire (and a narrow one at that).

Why not just replace rims?

If those were my choices, I'd be picking the Black Flags for sure. The Outlaws are way beefier than I would want on that bike. Don't the Black Flags also have convertible axles in case you ever upgrade to a fork with a proper thru axle?

Black Flags are a fairly solid choice for a budget wheelset. My Charger Pros (similar) are still doing alright after 2 years. There's a bit of play developing in the rear bearings, and I had some issues with spokes unwinding early on. Other than that, they've been fairly problem free.

Quote Originally Posted by bbense View Post
    Why not just replace rims?
    2 very long years on the rear hub, it's not long for this life. Spokes are all shot, bent and what not... and ultimately I will keep the hubs if I can service the rear at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by alewi11 View Post
    If those were my choices, I'd be picking the Black Flags for sure. The Outlaws are way beefier than I would want on that bike. Don't the Black Flags also have convertible axles in case you ever upgrade to a fork with a proper thru axle?
    Yes. It comes w/ 15mm so I'll have to slap a nukeproof in to get down to the 9mm.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...FbFDMgodC1oA-g

This guy is also an option - as the front wheel isn't nearly as bad as the rear... and I can save some money for my winter exploits.

Quote Originally Posted by Poop~Ghost View Post
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...FbFDMgodC1oA-g

This guy is also an option - as the front wheel isn't nearly as bad as the rear... and I can save some money for my winter exploits.
    That is a 142x12mm axle

Blue Sky has some good prices on Easton wheels currently --

I'm considering the 15QR version of the EA70 wheelset, but the 9mm version is in a cheap package at $250:
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...c_Wheelset.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Definitely go for the Black Flags, they are a really light and stiff wheelset. Been riding the Pros on my XC bike for a couple of seasons and I've never has an issue short of retentioning a couple of spokes. Experts don't have the convertable hubs if I remeber correctly though, but still easy enough to sort out a 15mm to 9mm adapter.

I just picked up some used Charger Pros and they are pretty nice. The hubs spin forever and they are convertible to basically any axle with the adapters except for the 150mm . I am pretty sure the chargers and black flag pros use the same hubs. I only have 100 miles or so on them but so far so good. I personally am not a big fan of Mavic wheels but take that with a grain of salt might just be my opinion.

The Charger Pro is an awesome wheelset, and completely different than the Black Flag Expert.
    My understanding is that the Ringle wheelsets are going to give you:
    1) rim options, which is where the difference between Charger and Black Flag comes in.
    2) hub options, which is where the difference between Pro, Expert and Comp comes in. The Pro are totally convertible front and back while the Comp are not convertible at all. The Expert is an in between so make sure you're getting what you need and consider what you might want in the future (ie you'll never have another QR fork again, for reals!)