Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rim Fire

Rim Fire

Hwy 120 through Groveland.

~16,000 acres yesterday to ~54,000 acres today. Went from 5% contained to 2%. Edit: Now 63,366 and 1% contained--which I supposed basically means retardant on structures and some line around them.

They called the operational DC-10 back from Sun Valley. My understanding is they only have two and one went down for maintenance. Military C-130s activated. Etc.

Staging from, among other places, Camp Mather, the City of San Francisco's camp near Hetch Hetchy. City's buying power from PG&E because their transmission lines run right through the fire.

Tons of evacuations and something like 5,000 structures threatened. Straddles 120 outside the park entrance. Thankfully has burned out my ninja free camping spot just outside the entrance... yet.

Crazy shit.

Some good photos here: http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/F...ly-4752894.php

InciWeb: http://www.inciweb.org/incident/3660/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	628x471.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	140460  
    Last edited by LightRanger; 08-22-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Air National Guard C-130 out of the Channel Islands dropping on the Rim Fire.

I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hugh Conway Guest
    That things crazy. Hope noone gets hurt

And I'm happy to say it's pouring rain here in the Wood River Valley. Best of luck--it just sucks balls.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Flying those planes must be one crazy job.

smoke is bad here at my house - fire is NOT threatening us, but folks I know are evacuating - it would take a big push to the north to get to us, but a day or two of wind could make that happen - my buddy that works at Hetch Hetchy is stressed out

and next weekend's Strawberry Music Festival is cancelled, but you can still hear Lonesome Locomotive at Dodge Ridge Saturday afternoon and Cafe Blossom in Twain Harte Saturday night
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 08-23-2013 at 12:42 AM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Damn, that sucks. Don't suppose there's any significant rain in the forecast?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

We have actual ash on the cars here in South Reno

snowing ash here

JUst saw this on another site, Tetlin Junction Ridge fire in AK. Pretty insane. From the description: "The extreme fire behavior uprooted trees, a scene that was captured by this footage- look for trees being blown around in the smoke column at the end of the clip." (I can't make them out myself but maybe your eyes are better than mine)

From my driveway near Tahoe yesterday afternoon:

This morning is the same or worse. I'd guess visibility is less than a mile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-08-22 16.59.32.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	767.3 KB 
ID:	140473  
    Last edited by climberevan; 08-23-2013 at 09:55 AM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Further confirmation that the apocalypse is nigh: a SINKHOLE has opened up on I 80 this morning, reducing traffic to 1 lane in both directions. It's the end times, folks!

(I really need to ride my bike.)
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Back to the Rim Fire - 105,000 acres as of this morning. Jeebus.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    JUst saw this on another site, Tetlin Junction Ridge fire in AK. Pretty insane. From the description: "The extreme fire behavior uprooted trees, a scene that was captured by this footage- look for trees being blown around in the smoke column at the end of the clip." (I can't make them out myself but maybe your eyes are better than mine)
    Saw this somewhere else with the title "firenado". Never knew the winds could get that strong.

1% contained, unless there's a wind shift we'll be smoked out in Reno/Tahoe for a while.
    "Wherever beer is brewed, all is well. Whenever Beer is drunk, life is good" -- Czech proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    my buddy that works at Hetch Hetchy is stressed out
    I bet. My wife's uncle is Deputy GM for water at SFPUC (so head of HHW&P) and I was texting back and forth with him yesterday afternoon. He was in their "Department Operation Center." Not happy.

I'm bummed because it's on the verge of burning out my ninja "secret" free camping spots just outside the Big Oak Flat entrance. Perfect for rolling to the park to climb without camping reservations and not dealing with the Camp 4 BS. The InciWeb map shows the fire *just* west of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Fire BURN! A lot of people are working on this fire, but at its current size, not sure much can be done.

Rim fire? Is that from too many jalapenos?
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

My heart goes out to all those affected by this. Get to safety. From the thread title I had expected this thread to be about something else entirely. It was either going to be a gun discussion or a Preparation H discussion.

Evacuating my HH friend from Ponderosa Hills now.Fire is currently a couple raging days away from me.

I thought this thread might be about the day after eating some spicy food.

Mike, you probably already knew about this, but this is a good resource: http://wlfhotlist.com/threads/36507-CA-STF-Rim

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    No shit. +47,000 acres in one day. Fucking cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Evacuating my HH friend from Ponderosa Hills now.Fire is currently a couple raging days away from me.
    What is the weather like up there? Any chance of better weather this weekend?

YNP ok. Way too much smoke outside of the valley.