Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I went to Tijuana for dental work AMA

A filling fell out a few months ago and I ignored it. Started to hurt last week so I had to deal with it. So I went looking around online and got an appt for two days later in Mexico where the prices are about 25% of US. I went today and had the first half of a root canal and got my teeth cleaned. The incessant whine of the drill in my head got me so tensed up, but the dentist gave me a face/next massage after it was all over. It was really an amazing experience all around.

Anybody else done it, anybody thinking about it? It's an easy 20 minute drive down the 5 from where I live, but I understand people fly here to get big stuff done.

Oh and I went to the pharmacy too.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Did they melt a paper clip to use as filling material?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

I haggle prices with dentists and call around, always cheaper somewhere else. I trust American dentists though.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Canada is a lot closer for me. Since they gave you a bonus massage did they throw in a happy ending too?

Yeah heard the best doctors are in Tijuana, said no Juan ever.

Very common here in Los Angeles. Most of the dentists are graduates from USC School of Dentistry.Better deals for sure.Glad you were willing to go there.

You should have contacted me on the dentist I took my gf down there for. Super German and US taught and qualified.
    I'm going back with her later this year to have some work done and we're staying in the hotel next door to the office.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    ....Super German and US taught and qualified....
    Then why aren't they practicing in the US for more money?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

probably better work than any of the dentists 'round here could have done glad you found a great deal!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    This?

I still wouldn't trust it like I do here, just a stupid preconceived notion.

I went to Twin Falls today for dental work. Pretty similar, actually.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Had a friend and his family go down for dental work. His mom got an unnecessary root canal that got infected. Buddy got a couple fillings that turned into American root canals. I have heard horror stories and very few success stories. If you know what you need, you probably are better off than someone getting news that they need a new gold grill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    As for the dentist I know...
    #1 - She's Mexican. (omg, two strikes against this dentist)
    #2 - She can do whatever she wants.
    #3 - I got a list of people I know who go to her and they all rave about two other things:
    #1 - The price.
    #2 - The results.

This dentist typically does one patient a day with her husband assisting, nice office, good location, shuttle in/out of sd and to pharmacias for meds after the doctor. The shuttles pick up people from a variety of clinics for a variety of procedures. This is big shit and the clinics in Tijuana have stepped up to the plate. If you want to remove the mercury out of your grill, get an implant or just get your teeth maintained, it can all work out great.

It's not like knife fighting for a good seat during the burro show at the other end of the waiting room while your car gets jacked in the street and you wake up sewn up, short one kidney and a liver.

It's not like knife fighting for a good seat during the burro show at the other end of the waiting room while your car gets jacked in the street and you wake up sewn up, short one kidney and a liver.
    This is exaxtly what it's like getting dental work in TJ. Juarez is much better, they take insurance and you don't have to tip out the donkey.
    I still call it The Jake.

Haha, my waiting room had Mexican kids with iPads and iPhones, including the dentist's son and those kids spoke better English than most of the office so of course I had to get in an android debate with him. The dentist's English was pretty weak, but not as bad as my Spanish, and we had mutual language lessons. I explored the word dolor (feel pain) in all its irregularity, even future tense. That was a cool distraction. And we talked surfing and skiing so he's a win in my book.

Splat, it didn't even occur to me to call you for rec, slaps forehead, although your gf and one of my mom's friend's trips put the idea in my head. All good though, I'm really happy with my office, feels like family to me already. California is straight up full of cold standoffish people (yeah, I said it) so it's nice to feel a different vibe. There was no rushing around, no indifference, lots of genuine human interaction.

I'm not happy with the health care system in the US. Procedures cost up to 10 times more than in other countries, even first world countries like England and Germany. I also have a big problem with the way the food industry and the pharmaceuticals, in straight up collusion with the government, are creating a very sick population. I get really upset when I think about paying for a diabetic's doctor/meds through Obamacare, although I appreciate the concept of nationalized health care in other countries.

I haven't been to Mexico in many years though I used to love it before I spent all my time and money skiing. The border has changed in some ways - I didn't get swarmed by beggars. It looked cleaner than I remember, but still not like US. One crazy thing, the crossing back was so easy - handed my green card to the border patrol guy and he swiped it and handed it back, without a word. Then I put my purse and bag of drugs through the detector and walked out. When I think of the hassles I've gotten in the past, I'm just astounded.

I'm considering a surf trip to Mazatlan and round trip, no stops, from Tijuana less than $400. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Back in the old days when everyone carried six shooters you could get a haircut and a shave as well.

SheRa, it all starts with a face massage, then a few root canals later, you wake up and your pants are on backwards and the dentist is telling you no charge for this visit. As far as the happy Mexican kids with iPads in the waiting room, pretty sure the dentist pays them to sit there all day.

Talking

Lulz...............
    Henry David Thoreau

I've had friends get work done in Thailand, Costa Rica, Peru and Mexico. I'm most instances they got backwoods dentistry that had to be done over. The Costa Rican person eventually found someone they can trust, After having her mouth butchered.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

I've heard first hand horror stories from American dentists who have seen the mouths of people who have had work done in Mexico. Sure, a filling is one thing, and maybe you get lucky and save some cash in the process. But when that filling turns into a root canal in a few years who you gonna call? Of course, Mexico might be better than Comfort Dental.

You're not a US Citizen, Mir? Learn something new every day.

Those who think Mexican edicine is all bush-doctors have never spent any time in a clinic there. The two best medical experiences of my life were in Mexico and Cuba, the latter showed me why their medical system is as highly regarded globally as it is. Amazing what those guys can do with nearly nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    You're not a US Citizen, Mir? Learn something new every day.
    Yeah, I'm German. Thought you knew...my German is really bad though. Hanging out with my mom and her cronies is completely hit or miss whether I can understand.
    Henry David Thoreau

Oooooh, so you're Heidi Klum

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    I get really upset when I think about paying for a diabetic's doctor/meds through Obamacare
    How the fuck do you think health insurance works, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    How the fuck do you think health insurance works, exactly?
    Um, I think it works by healthy people subsidizing people in need of care, in the expectation that they will receive care when they need it. My problem is with the rampant metabolic disorders prevalent today. Disorders that are caused in large part by the food system, conventional wisdom, and outright unethical conduct by the federal government and US industry.

I could go on, but I'd have to step up onto my soapbox.

...and the excessive cost of healthcare is another large and separate issue.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Oooooh, so you're Heidi Klum
    Nope, my name is Claudia Schiffer.
    Henry David Thoreau