Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: I went to Tijuana for dental work AMA

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Toofus View Post
    The big thing with dentistry (and anything where there's a knowledge gap between provider of services and recipient) is that the patient really doesn't know if things were done well or not. You may know if it didn't hurt and if it "looks good," but that really has no indication of the quality of dentistry that was done.
    I've (and others I know have experienced similar) had dentists in the US complain about work done by other dentists in the US. Really, for us non-dentists idiots, how are we supposed to tell good from bad (other than reviews from patients), and on a practical matter - if it doesn't hurt, doesn't fall apart, doesn't interfere with normal, and looks good - what else is there for people to give a shit about? What benefits are you missing out on (or problems are you setting yourself up for) by not getting great dentistry? Or at least ways for people to rank "good" and "bad" and compare to a wildly varying price scale? I mean, most of us patients are flying somewhat blind and we just get handwaving - which applies to most of medicine. doom and gloom scare ancedotes followed by bohica.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I've (and others I know have experienced similar) had dentists in the US complain about work done by other dentists in the US. Really, for us non-dentists idiots, how are we supposed to tell good from bad (other than reviews from patients), and on a practical matter - if it doesn't hurt, doesn't fall apart, doesn't interfere with normal, and looks good - what else is there for people to give a shit about?

You pretty much covered it. Dental work shouldn't be painful, it should last, it should look good, and the dentist probably shouldn't be a huge asshole. If all those bases are covered, I think you found yourself a keeper. Regardless of where they choose to practice.
    My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.

I bet you can find some people in this world who are super stoked on their 333 skis, and they only paid $333 for them!!!! AAAAAND THEY WERE MADE IN A SUPER AWESOME TRAILER IN THE PARKING LOT AT MAMMOTTH!!!!!!!!

Moral of the story is, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you might get lucky and get a rad pair of Kincos for $12 that last forever, or some great chinese carbon rims, or whatever other cheap ass gear you got that performed flawlessly. But peace of mind comes at a price. When it comes to your health, throw down a few extra bucks and maybe you'll get something that lasts.

Plus, if your dental work from Mexico goes bad, what is your recourse? Because in the US, the dentist down the street is likely to help you out if he screwed it up. Or, you have that nasty legal system of ours backing you up. In Mexico, what do you have?

Hugh Conway Guest
    thanks toofus. I don't care about the asshole part, competent office staff that'll bill properly and set up efficient appointments are more important to me .

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Moral of the story is, you get what you pay for. Sometimes you might get lucky and get a rad pair of Kincos for $12 that last forever, or some great chinese carbon rims, or whatever other cheap ass gear you got that performed flawlessly. But peace of mind comes at a price. When it comes to your health, throw down a few extra bucks and maybe you'll get something that lasts.
    I can go to the store and buy a 12-pack of Budweiser or a 12-pack of Bear Republic. They cost within a buck or two of each other. I can buy custom praxis for 1/2 of what DPS run right now. Are they half the ski and 333 skis are a quarter of the ski (and half a praxis). Other than a typically shitty TGR sales job whats your point? "Quality" isn't price dependent anymore at all, imo, but the whole goal is more information and better choices not bleating. Besides, even with US dentists there can be a range of a coupleX in pricing (or was, last I looked) so - with your fantastic insurance you just choose the more expensive one?

Yes, there is a range of pricing. Different dentists have different skill sets, different practice philosophies, and different overall experiences provided to the patient. In the US, probably just like Mexico, you have a choice on material used in your mouth. Some dentists refuse to use the cheaper materials because they know that they won't last or are not a good product. Others will use the cheaper materials or cut corners to offer a less expensive procedure for their patients knowing that that is what their patient can afford. In this case, you absolutely get what you pay for. You could get a nice gold filling that lasts 20 years, or a amalgam filling that has mercury in it that will probably last maybe 10 years and is probably placed by a dentist with a lower standard of practice. You could also buy skis with plywood cores or high end carbon topsheets. Your choice.

At least if you get dental work in the US, you have a legal system backing you up when your face fall apart. Mexico? No idea.
    Last edited by shredgnar; 09-01-2013 at 07:29 AM.

Bumping up for the latest in recommendations, horror stories, etc. My father is looking at 3 implants to replace old crowns that have gone bad, and the bill here will be north of $8K in Canada. He's been talking about heading south to Mexico to get the work done.

What's the latest in considerations, recommendations and referrals from the collective?

Or at the least this should now give me several ads in the app to check out!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Bumping up for the latest in recommendations, horror stories, etc. My father is looking at 3 implants to replace old crowns that have gone bad, and the bill here will be north of $8K in Canada. He's been talking about heading south to Mexico to get the work done.

What's the latest in considerations, recommendations and referrals from the collective?

Or at the least this should now give me several ads in the app to check out!
    My mom got her implants done in Costa Rica. 2 trips down there, including the work, flight, and hotel, ended up costing half of what it would have in the US. Dentist/Oral Surgeon had their degree from USC Dental. Moved home to help his community.

When she went to her normal dentist for her cleaning and checkups they could find no difference between her work there or the same done back here in the States.

Was this the conversation that drove off Hugh?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Was this the conversation that drove off Hugh?
    No, but it too Toofus three years to regroup and he only ever posted one more time.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    No, but it too Toofus three years to regroup and he only ever posted one more time.
    Damn, this place is brutal.

The other advantage of going to Tijuana is that you can take in the Lupita and her donkey show while you're there
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Lupita has to be 100 by now.

Unless she had an understudy.

Gettin to the root

Of it
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Lupita has to be 100 by now.

Unless she had an understudy.
    Lupita is like The Dread Pirate Roberts. A new Lupita is found every decade or so; the original Lupita retired 60 years ago, was responsible for much of the development of Puerto Vallarta and, at 87 y/o, is one of the wealthiest women in Mexico.