Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Backpacking stoves?

It seems that they no longer sell the canisters to fit my handy little stove. What are the good stoves these days? Backpacking trips of 2-5 days, mostly for boiling water but also the ability to throw on a fry pan (can the integrated jetboils do that?). Also, my old system never did well in frezing weather, but I've heard they are better now? Bonus points if the fuel canisters can be used on a lantern.

I have owned a JetBoil for a long time and I have no complaints. I use it pretty similarly to what you describe.

You can use any kind of pot or pan on it, but you need to use this doodad:
    http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/po...tabilizer.html

The JetBoil-branded stuff with the ring around it heats much more efficiently.

I just boil water in my JB, and it is the standard for that purpose in three season conditions. The MSR Reactor does better in the winter, but I think it is worse than the JB for anything other than boiling water as it is too efficient and doesn't have the options linked to above. JB announced a new winter stove at the recent OR. You should be able to find a lantern that uses the same canisters as the JB. The JB/Reactor doesn't use the 1lb canisters that work with Coleman stoves and lanterns as well as many other car camping gas appliances, they use smaller canisters.

Call me crazy but I love my trangia for almost every back back pack trip I go on. It's a pretty amazingly designed system. Having the stove pots and pans all stacked together is nice space saver, nothing on it can break, so no spares, no plugged gas holes, and its quiet as a mouse. I usually get someone to carry a JB for breakfast drinks and ramen meals and use the trangia for cooking everything that requires finesse. It's not the lightest, or fastest, but its reliable and classy.

I use a MSR Reactor at the moment most of the time. But think the newest Jetboil might be even better. Should be available shortly at retail.

A Jetboil with one of their frying pans will meet your needs as stated. They're coming out with a more efficient system for colder weather (upside down canister) but I don't think it will be available until February.
    http://www.earnyourturns.com/18445/f...country-stove/

I don't mean super cold weather, because I hate winter camping. I'm talking more brisk fall days in the Winds and such.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I don't mean super cold weather, because I hate winter camping. I'm talking more brisk fall days in the Winds and such.
    Jetboil then.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Jetboil then.
    I think you're right. Anything good or bad to say about the Zip?

The Zip and this should give good bang/buck for 1-2 people. Maybe even 3. That's my basic 3-season system.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The Zip and this should give good bang/buck for 1-2 people. Maybe even 3. That's my basic 3-season system.
    Sweet, thanks!

Sounds like you may have already gotten your answer but here's another vote for the jetboil. Worked great last winter/early spring.

Six days, seven nights at elevation in the Sierra recently and only went through one 8 oz MSR canister for two people with a JB. Dinners, oatmeal, coffee, and some hot lemonades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I'm not a huge backpacker but I couldn't decide last spring until the sales person mentioned the other uses of white fuel...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Word of caution on the Jetboils: At higher elevations the piezo starter likes to crap out in the cheap models. I just use matches, but it is an annoying thing to discover for the first time at 10k+

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    It seems that they no longer sell the canisters to fit my handy little stove. What are the good stoves these days? Backpacking trips of 2-5 days, mostly for boiling water but also the ability to throw on a fry pan (can the integrated jetboils do that?). Also, my old system never did well in frezing weather, but I've heard they are better now? Bonus points if the fuel canisters can be used on a lantern.

Stats on the new jet Boil. Bigger than a MSR Reactor and has an ignitor built in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1100074.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	140329

Name:	P1100080.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	140330

Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    Stats on the new jet Boil. Bigger than a MSR Reactor and has an ignitor built in.

Name:	P1100074.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	140329

Name:	P1100080.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	140330
    Whoa, that's a hefty little devil. I think I'm losing interest:
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/produc...productID=6605

I have been using denatured alcohol (or heet) and a cat food can with holes punched in it for 3 years now. 1 oz of fuel will boil 16oz of water and simmer 20oz, I have used it as high as 12k while it was below 40 degrees and never had any problems with it. The whole kit including the pot weighs 7oz and everything fits inside the pot for easy storage.

Just a thought, hope this helps....

"In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

I still like my white gas stove, MSR dragonfly, as it will burn donkey piss should you ever need to, i.e backpacking in foreign countries. Great for all kinds of cooking, and can boil/melt massive amounts.

My other stove is a MSR pocket rocket, so it has a regular flame which is good for cooking and frying, etc, just not as efficient at boiling water.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Been stoked on my MSR Pocket Rocket. Doesn't have the "super efficient" heat fins but the difference in boiling water is under a minute with a JB or Reactor and the thing is tiny.

+1 for the pocket rocket.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    I have been using denatured alcohol (or heet) and a cat food can with holes punched in it for 3 years now. 1 oz of fuel will boil 16oz of water and simmer 20oz, I have used it as high as 12k while it was below 40 degrees and never had any problems with it. The whole kit including the pot weighs 7oz and everything fits inside the pot for easy storage.

Just a thought, hope this helps....

Simplest iteration of that concept I have seen so far. I'm hording aluminum cans (hairspray, sunblock, shaving cream) and as soon as they are empty am going to try a few designs I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

I have lots of stoves but only use two: MSR Reactor and JetBoil Sol. Lots of stoves will work fine for camping in river valleys, but wind performance is key for the high country. The Reactor is the manifestly superior performer in windy conditions. It has no competition in strong swirling winds in alpine and subalpine zones.

The JB Sol's only advantages over the Reactor are that the Sol is a bit lighter, can simmer and can be used with non-integrated pots. The Reactor does not simmer and works only with a Reactor integrated pot (which come in 1.7L standard, 2.5L and 1.0L). We take the JB Sol if we are fishing and/or cooking backpacker pizza.

JB Sol is way way better than the original JB.

For melting snow and/or boiling water in the high country, the Reactor just plan kicks ass on all other stoves. If you want to simmer, the JB Sol will do that and IME is a better than the other non-Reactor options. Both the Reactor and Sol are highly fuel efficient, i.e., use 9g - 11g of fuel to boil 1L of cold mountain stream water.

Both work quite well in cold weather -- well, in PNW winters -- with the edge to the Reactor. For the last 20% of the can, heat the canister via a water bath, Cu wire heat exchanger or chemical handwarmer.

I just picked up a Sol for elk hunting. The ignitor is not great, but I think once I get use to how far to turn on the fuel, it will work better. I just tried it out in my house and could not really get it to light consistently. I do like that it comes with the pot support. I also purchased a Primus lantern...always loved having my Coleman, but was too heavy to backpack with. Check them out, it is pretty nice.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Try putting the pot on the Sol before pushing the piezo button.