Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Fine then!
    How about $95 shipped?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Fine then!
    How about $95 shipped?
    That's a goddam good price. Try Gear Swap again. If I didn't already have one...

I forgot about it since last year, it's just been in the garage...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I use the Snow Peak Giga. I absolutely love it and have always loved the canister mount simplicity of this style of stove. I have found this much more reliable and efficient than the MSR counterparts i have used in the past

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    I have found this much more reliable and efficient than the MSR counterparts
    You've had reliability problems with MSR canister stoves? First time I've heard anybody claim that.

If you are talking about fuel efficiency, the JB Sol and Reactor are considerably more fuel efficient than the Giga if there is more than a breath of wind. Integrated HX pots have changed the game.

http://zenstoves.net/StoveChoices.htm

A good site with info on lots of different types of stoves. May find something for your application that you hadn't thought of.

Sent from my XT907 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hellojello74 View Post
    A good site
    Nah. Old news, needs to be updated. Liquid fuel stove best for melting lots of snow? Not any more

I have the JB Sol and love it. Word of caution tho is that its pretty easy to burn through the piezo's igniter wire due to its location within the "flame area". So I always bring a lighter just in case. You can buy a replacement piezo for a few bucks however.

No love for the Soto canister stoves? We just took two for a week-long backpacking trip and I am 100% sold. Works great in the wind, and runs perfectly until the canister is absolutely empty, unlike my MSR which starts sucking when the canister gets low.

Most importantly, the thing is fucking TINY and weighs next to nothing -- 2.3 oz. Wut??

Also, the newer Windmasters (OD1-RX) come with removable pot supports so you can bring different sizes depending on whether you ever plan on doing more than heating water.

Anyways, check it out. After using one for a week, I am buying one for myself.

I recently bought the tiny BRS-3000 titanium canister top stove for my use. It's for boiling water during the summer. My daughter is now getting into backpacking and I'm wondering if another canister top makes sense or if I should consider a remote butane stove. I know remotes are promoted for winter use since you can invert the fuel but is there any reason why that extra weight helps in the other 3 seasons?

Name:  brs-300t-titanium-stove-closeup-800.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  66.7 KB

vs.

Name:  Fire-Maple-Titanium-Gas-burners-Blade-2-Ultra-Light-135g-Gas-Stoves-Cooker-With-Pre-heat.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  85.8 KB

The msr reactor, while heavier by a little, is much more efficient, do if you go for a few days, it will save weight

And is a lot faster

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    The msr reactor, while heavier by a little, is much more efficient, do if you go for a few days, it will save weight

And is a lot faster

$250 and weighs a pound?

Yeah....no. The average stove gets 40+ two cup boils out of a canister.

To be clear, I'm not considering the 'Fire Maple' brand I posted a pic of, just using it to clarify what I mean by 'remote' stove.

A pound with the pot.
    Best stove you can find

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    A pound with the pot.
    Best stove you can find
    This stove will be used to boil water 80% of the time. The BRS with a 1L Ti pot weighs just over 4oz and I can buy 5-6 of them for the cost of the Reactor.

Thoughts on the benefits of a remote stove?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    This stove will be used to boil water 80% of the time. The BRS with a 1L Ti pot weighs just over 4oz and I can buy 5-6 of them for the cost of the Reactor.

Thoughts on the benefits of a remote stove?
    for summer I see no need for remote. buy another pocket stove and let daughter carry her own stuff. If its just for water its fine.

Simple is the name of the game

MSR stoves just seem to work. Pocket Rocket 2 doesn’t leave a lot to want. There is a version with a pressure regulator now for low temps as well.

I’ve been using the pocket rocket deluxe for about 2 years with no complaints. It has a pressure regulator and it works.. I’ve used it up at AZ snowbowl (roughly 9500’ at the parking lot) in the teens without problem. I never liked the idea of relying on the built in Piezo igniter so always carry an alternative to light but have not had any problems with it.

Only a few grams heavier than the PR2.

Lots of good stuff on the market these days but just adding some history.

My 20 yo MSR Dragonfly was used pretty much weekly for about three years until I moved... at which point it sat in a box in my closet for a good 16 years.

Pulled it out. Tested it at home. Brought it up high and that thing still rocks.

Still noisy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Lots of good stuff on the market these days but just adding some history.

My 20 yo MSR Dragonfly was used pretty much weekly for about three years until I moved... at which point it sat in a box in my closet for a good 16 years.

Pulled it out. Tested it at home. Brought it up high and that thing still rocks.

Still noisy, though.
    Word.

My Whisperlite was the same way, but what was the best option in 1993 isn’t necessarily the best option 27 years later.

Has anyone used the MSR Windburner? It looks like Jetboil size with Reactor tech. Appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Has anyone used the MSR Windburner? It looks like Jetboil size with Reactor tech. Appealing.
    I have one that I have been using for a few years, they boil water super fast but are obviously heavier than a lot of other options.

The "fuel efficiency" thing is a little overblown for canister stoves since there is only really one situation where it saves you weight: you are on the verge of needing to bring two canisters but can get by with one and a more efficient stove.

Main reason to go with the windburner is convenience rather than efficiency I think. It boils very fast and wind just isn't an issue. If I'm counting grams I bring something else though.

Also it has a nifty little French press attachment, fresh coffee almost always makes it worth the weight.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

The JetBoil is amazing for boiling water. Also has pan and pot attachments you can get.

Been using mine for 12 years and still works like new.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

+1 for the windburner as described above. Super fast, reliable so far, haven't hit any issues at highish (12k or so) altitude or with wind. But yes it's heavy. I also have the frying pan attachment which is pretty sweat when car camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Word.

My Whisperlite was the same way, but what was the best option in 1993 isn’t necessarily the best option 27 years later.
    Yeah. I was a Whisperlight die-hard until I eventually tried the JB I bought off Steep and Cheap on a whim (2008?). I think I had it a year before using it.

There are probably circumstances that would lead me to choose the MSR, but those aren’t things I do these days.

A heat-exchanger pot is a nice if you don't want to go JB.

https://sectionhiker.com/olicamp-har...eat-exchanger/