Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vibes to Sun Valley! Wildfire pre-evacuation notices given.

wow, ya, no doubt. Another red flag warning today, no bueno. http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/3635/20241/
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Natural fuels reduction, it sucks to be loosing some great riding in that area for a little while, but it might open up some more burn skiing

Thought they lost that DC-10 for a while with an engine failure, maybe the advancement of the priority of this fire, heard it topped the national list, will send more resources and a new DC10.

Smoke is funnelling down the river corridor here in Boise from the other fires west of the Beaver Creek fire.

blow that smoke out before next weekend please.
    b

Any 5,000 SQ Ft + Houses at risk?

need to know if I can cheer.

As I sit here choking on smoke from the american Fire.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

saw earlier that they have the snowmaking guns running at bald mtn

Keeping my fingers crossed for my friends in SV area....
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw View Post
    Keeping my fingers crossed for my friends in SV area....
    X2!

sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Any 5,000 SQ Ft + Houses at risk?

need to know if I can cheer.

As I sit here choking on smoke from the american Fire.
    Kind of a fucked up thing to say.

Best wishes for good weather and firefighter safety in Idaho.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Kind of a fucked up thing to say.

Best wishes for good weather and firefighter safety in Idaho.
    Agreed.1
    Sometimes pride comes after a fall.

Best to the folks around SV and the hard working people working on the fires!

We're next in line up here in wydaho. Our forests are approaching a similar state of beetle kill where we will start experiencing multiple 50,000+ acre fires EVERY summer like the stretch of dying forest between Boise and Sun Valley. That's what gets my attention; not this one big fire threatening a resort but the fact that area gets two or three monster fires just about every summer. I've been spending some time over in Togwotee and there are entire mountainsides of spruce that are 50% standing dead. Teton pass looks worse every year, its riddled with 5-10 acres patches of mostly dead trees. The Tetons aren't heavily wooded mountains but all the surrounding ranges are simply loaded with dead wood. Its going to happen here too. Soon the privilege of a house in the woods will have to come with a hefty annual insurance premium. Invest in forest fires, its a real growth industry.

Don't worry, MTT, I saw on the news that the millionaires are protecting their mansions with a second line of private fire service hired by the insurance companies at risk. Millionaires get to shift the extra costs/risks of 2nd homes in the woods over to the plebes and they are fully insured anyway, so don't sweat it. Vibes to the firefighters who risk their neck and wear out their backs to protect vacation homes way beyond their own paycheck.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 08-17-2013 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    blow that smoke out before next weekend please.
    b
    Extremely unlikely.

pretty much everything for trails in that area is closed and probably will be closed for sometime to come...and yes MTT empty 5000+ sq ft homes are threatened

FYI I don't think fire is funny I grew up living in the woods.
    But i do have an occasional peeve about uber rich and their little getaway compounds in the mountains.

You know, the 5,000SQ ft (CABIN)

Best wishes to those at risk
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Fire emerging from Greenhorn/Timber Gulch yesterday evening, taken looking south down valley from backside of Dollar:

...and Carbonate just west of Hailey from the Snow Bunny drive in at 2:30 am this morning:

Lots of first homes in these photos

Sol Skier GREAT photos,,,
    The last one is sad, fire behavior at 0230 and 80 ft flames. Times are changing on the fire front. Shit is happening( fire behavior,fuel loading, fire complexity) have changed the game greatly. Sorry that sun valley is in the way of a major fire. But mother nature does not give a shit what is front of it. ( Yarnell AZ)
    At this point in the fire season,,, I HOPE EVERY ONE COMES HOME to ski again.....
    We can rebuild the homes.
    PS I am sure anyone in SV has great home insurance....

vibes to all. Nate, you seeing smoke in Boise?

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    vibes to all. Nate, you seeing smoke in Boise?
    Hey... I live in Boise too, I can't see anything in here, looking towards that region and can't see anything. My wife says the sky is looking weird but I don't really see anything yet

Curiously, there was almost no smoke here, for the first time in a week or so. Odd.

We had some but not too bad. I was up in the Ketchum area earlier last week and it was bad and I'm sure has gotten worse. Backpacking in the Stanley area the weekend before and had a lot of ashes falling on us north of these fires.

Last edited by rideit; 08-18-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Rideit, Nice, thanks for sharing.

My first impression is that that really looks like a fairly healthy fire, the brush fires are supposed to happen, its a good thing, Sucks the people and property get in the way. i guess up until 150 years ago the people just picked up and moved out of the way. I wonder how often an entire Indian village got caught in a wild fire and burned?

Cant tell how bad the fire is when it hits the tree's is it getting super hot and killing the tree's? or just passing through quickly.?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Cant tell how bad the fire is when it hits the tree's is it getting super hot and killing the tree's? or just passing through quickly.?
    Yesterday local news said it was burning down the trees as well, so pretty strong and hot! Humidity was up las night but I haven't seen the latest info, looks like last night might have been a goog one to get a hold of the fire a little better

i just finished chatting with the mayor of Hailey (former housemate of mine). According to what has been reported to him, he thinks the worst is over and that Hailey and Ketchum seemed to have dodged the bullet.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?