Wasatch Crest Trail and Park City Beta

Hey Everyone -

Me and the wife are going to be spending some time in Park City in a few weeks....and we'd like to check out the Wasatch Crest Trail. I was poking around on Strava and found the basic ride which looks easy enough to follow -> http://www.strava.com/activities/67639710#

But I'm wondering since we'll be based in Park City (not exactly sure where yet), would it be possible to pedal up from the Canyons side? I'm just noticing that after you top out on what looks like the first main climb and gain the crest, there seems to be a fire road or something that heads right towards the Super Condor Lift at Canyons. Is that doable? Or is that a dumb idea and we just start our ride at the traditional Mill Creek Canyon Road spot.

Also -- If anyone has any other recommendations for must do rides in the area I'd be all for it! XC style rides only....i'll be on a Giant Anthem and my wife on a hardtail 29er.

Danke
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Ty

go to skidmap.com

you'll want to start in Park City
    ride up Armstrong
    Up Pinecone
    Ride Wasatch Crest
    Connect back to the Canyon's via the ridge connector.
    ride Midmountain back towards park city for a really short time
    Descend Holly's to the canyons.

however,,,,the main draw to the Wasatch crest is the 25 plus miles of descending when rode from the salt lake side.

to do that park at the Dan's on Wasatch bvld. get the shuttle (10 bones) to the top of guardsman pass. ride Scott Bypass to Puke Hill climb. then connect to the Wasatch Crest Trail.
    Keep riding and descending the Crest trail down thru Millcreek canyon on EVEN days.
    Extend the ride on the Millcreek Pipeline to rattlesnake gulch.
    descend the road a little to Wasatch blvd. and ride up to your car at Dan's

I would tart at Park City Mountain Resort. Pedal up Armstrong to Pinecone, which will top out at Scotts Pass, which is the top of puke hill on the crest. Rip the crest to the turnoff to drop into Millcreek, but instead take a right and hit Crest Connector which drops into the Canyons. From there, you have tons of rad options to rip back to Canyons (I like Crest Connnector-Mid Mountain-RObs-Collins myself).

Skidmap will make it much clearer.

Have a great time whatever you ride. PC has SOOOO many rad trails.
    Keep it unclipped

Haha, I was a little slow typing that up.
    Keep it unclipped

skidmap! wow..never heard of that site. holy maps...
    One Gear, Two Planks

Other trails to try

Flying Dog at Glenwild
    Trailside Park for stunts and jumps
    Mid Mountain from Deer Valley to the Canyons to Pinebrook

Armstrong - Pinecone - Shadow Lake - Keystone - 2 step - step - mid mountain - john's 99 - moosebones - grave digger - 4:20 - sweeny - end near HIGH West Distillery kinda sounds like a dead set list.

Heard great things about coyote hollow in Heber. New trail this year.

if jumping and big bikes are in your forte. Canyons has stepped it up literally.... Also try Road to Arcylon in Gorgosa Park. Buy a Deer Valley Lift Pass and try some of the extreme new trails. Thieves forest - Fire Swamp
    McKonkies off of the Empire Chair.

Remember you are traveling to a GOLD star mountain bike destination. That happens to be our back yard.

other info here
    http://www.skidmap.com/
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/
    http://mountaintrails.org/

Cheers

CAT
    Last edited by F#*k You Cat; 08-16-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    skidmap! wow..never heard of that site. holy maps...
    Except it's shutting down 8/31 Get the offline iPhone map ASAP if you can. I really hope he keeps it alive somehow. This is another good option for PC stuff http://map.mountaintrails.org/ (offline iPhone and Android versions available)

I'll throw my $0.02 in for the Crest. Whatever you do, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T DO THAT STRAVA ROUTE! Given your fitness level I suggest one of two nice loop options:

Loop A: Park at the Canyons. Ride the road into town to the bottom of Armstrong. Climb Armstrong to Pinecone to the Crest. Ride the Crest, then descend back to the Canyons via Holly's or Ambush.

Loop B: Park at the Canyons. Climb Rosebud's Heaven and Rob's Trail to Mid Mountain. Ride Mid Mountain to Pinecone, climb Pinecone to the Crest. Ride the Crest, then descend back to the Canyons via Holly's or Ambush.

A variant of Loop A would be to climb Jenni's->Crescent Mine Grade->Apex->Keystone->Shadow Lake Loop->Puke Hill to the Crest instead of Armstrong-Pinecone. A bit more complicated navigating, but all great old-school singletrack (except Puke Hill), signage in PC is excellent and you will see a lot less people.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.

haha...thanks Dan! just curious...why not do that route that I linked to on Strava? (I really wasn't going to, but since you gave your warning in ALL CAPS, now I just have to know why! )
    One Gear, Two Planks

Tyrone-bummed you won't be here this weekend...I'm doing Dan's said Loop B tomorrow morning. I'm gonna be hurtin'!

For seeing a lot less people...
    I'd for sure ride Armstrong-Pinecone-Crest either way. I've also been loving the Jenni's-CMG-Apex-Crest stuff.
    I'd also recommend a nice climb (and decent) up Jupiter Peak. It's insanely pretty and the last part is awesomely steep The route would be Jenni's-CMG-Apex-Dead Tree-Jupiter Peak.

You can do all of this stuff from Park City Resort or stuff from Canyons. We've been riding up there A LOT this summer.

Oh, and you should try and descend Pinecone-Spiro in the evening at some point if you can. THE most fun decent!

Edit: I've used Strava on these rides but don't prefer it. I'm now using MyTracks.
    you sketchy character, you

oh man I love you guys...thanks for all the beta!
    One Gear, Two Planks

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    haha...thanks Dan! just curious...why not do that route that I linked to on Strava? (I really wasn't going to, but since you gave your warning in ALL CAPS, now I just have to know why! )
    Because riding the Crest as an out-n-back is silly regardless, it rides waaay better south-to-north. If one is staying in PC, driving all the way down to SLC and up Millcreek Canyon to ride the Crest as an out-n-back is just plain stupid when you can loop it from your hotel. If you really want to ride the Millcreek portions use the shuttle service.

Hope you have a great time! What dates will you be here? It would be awesome to see guys and show you around some possibly.

eta: Don't be afraid to just go explore stuff you see on the map. You can never really get lost in PC. You may get "lost" and not find the trail you were hoping to, but if you just ride downhill you'll end up back in town eventually
    Last edited by Dantheman; 08-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Deercrest to Spincycle trail was a hell of a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Deercrest to Spincycle trail was a hell of a lot of fun!
    There were shit tons of huckleberries back there two weekends ago on Village and Pipeline. Serious nom-age ensued.

We were there for a 3 day trip earlier this summer and did Flying Dog, the Crest, and Mid Mountain from DV to PC. I'd say I thought Flying Dog was the most fun riding, the Crest uber classic, and Mid Mountain just insanely buffed. Crazy busy though for a Teton Valley rider.