Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    [QUOTE=irul&ublo;6832196]Don’t you get paid first?[\QUOTE]

You may have to ship before money is in your bank now.

funny, 3 of the 4 lowest price items I looked at recently were scams from china

I use eBay to sell mid-grade sports collectibles and its been great. The selling experience has degraded over time, but it's hard to deny the amount of eyes that see the listings. My sales have been lower this past year, but the volume of new listings has been lower, too.

If there is anything out there close to eBay I haven't found it yet. Etsy, Mercari, OfferUp, CL, FB Marketplace all suck from my experience.

It was good back in the day but too much of a good thing and the hammer comes down.

Pun intended.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    It was good back in the day but too much of a good thing and the hammer comes down.

Pun intended.
    what the fuck are you babbling about ignoramus? eBay has been treading water for a decade. With few levers to grow their business they make life shittier for current

Quote Originally Posted by skiHOG View Post
    I use eBay to sell mid-grade sports collectibles and its been great. The selling experience has degraded over time, but it's hard to deny the amount of eyes that see the listings. My sales have been lower this past year, but the volume of new listings has been lower, too.

If there is anything out there close to eBay I haven't found it yet. Etsy, Mercari, OfferUp, CL, FB Marketplace all suck from my experience.
    I'm selling a couple of bicycle frames on ebay right now. I've bought all manner of junk over the years and I've generally been satisfied. As a seller, I can say the fees are steep, and the paperwork is extensive. When I sold items in the past, my paypal account showed a payment and I shipped. For my current sales, I had to submit a bank account and ss number to ebay for verification, and it looks like they will release funds to me in about 10 days. If there's an upside to this, it feels relatively safe for the seller (me), but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little concerned that the buyer might cancel payment once the item is shipped.

For my other item, I have an offer from a guy in the Philippines, but he's asking I send it to a USA address. This seems reasonable as it could be a friend or family, but ebay is definitely not the place it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by steeznutz View Post
    For my other item, I have an offer from a guy in the Philippines, but he's asking I send it to a USA address. This seems reasonable as it could be a friend or family, but ebay is definitely not the place it used to be.
    The one thing I learned the hard way is to never make an international sale on ebay without using their overseas shipping program. Once the item is delivered to ebay they assume all the risk of delivery in the foreign country.

I'm done as a seller on ebay, getting rid of old junk always turns into a clusterfuck.

[QUOTE=dunfree ;6832209]

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    Don’t you get paid first?[\QUOTE]

You may have to ship before money is in your bank now.

funny, 3 of the 4 lowest price items I looked at recently were scams from china
    The timeline to ship doesn't start until you've been paid. On top of that I set my "handling time" to two days to give me a little extra buffer and typically I have the money deposited by the time I ship.

Quote Originally Posted by skiHOG View Post

I've been selling for 20 years and agree that eBay's continued to slide in the wrong direction, but it hasn't got that bad.

I totally agree that dealing with CL or FB for the most part sucks. I have no interest in responding to 30+ FB messages of "Is This Still Available?" and then the lowball offers. Maybe it would be easier to get from tire kicking to purchasing if I lived in a bigger market, but for me Ebay is very easy, detached and straightforward.

Golf clubs about the only thing I ever buy on the flea anymore. Oh and Time atac MTB pedals once a year seems like.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post

I've been selling for 20 years and agree that eBay's continued to slide in the wrong direction, but it hasn't got that bad.

I totally agree that dealing with CL or FB for the most part sucks. I have no interest in responding to 30+ FB messages of "Is This Still Available?" and then the lowball offers. Maybe it would be easier to get from tire kicking to purchasing if I lived in a bigger market, but for me Ebay is very easy, detached and straightforward.
    that’s why I still use eBay. If you just want something gone, you list it as an auction and a week later you are sending it off. Oddball items you can do a BIN and wait around for the right buyer.

Hate trying to schedule with FB/Craigslist people.

on the other hand I am starting to wonder if running eBay auctions is leaving a lot of value on the table…how many buyers are really out there watching auctions and bidding? Seems everyone wants instant purchase and fast shipping these days so auctions don’t get much attention.

[QUOTE=alpinevibes;6837654]
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    The timeline to ship doesn't start until you've been paid. On top of that I set my "handling time" to two days to give me a little extra buffer and typically I have the money deposited by the time I ship.
    I haven’t sold anything since late last year after multiple failed sales eBay didn’t do anything about, maybe things changed, but my experience was eBay hold time on funds in your account varied by buyer method of payment and location, and the hold was at least a full business day. So buyer pays Tuesday, funds available to request Thursday, in bank account Friday. I guess you could use The immediate payout that wants a bank statement, which, why would I give to eBay?

with eBay international shipping my experience with Canada was eBay made it my problem to find out why the item didn’t make it all the way, which was a pita. Also with sone foreign addresses their idiot system wouldn’t take addresses correctly, so you’d have to change the address, which makes you more liable.

fixed price vs auction depends much on what you are selling to whom, how deep that market is, and how patient you are.

As of Jan 1, 2022, the IRS now requires us to file and send a Form 1099-K to everyone who sells $600 or more.
    Since you’ve made $600 or more in sales this year, we’ll need your full 9-digit Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to send you your 1099-K.
    Please update your information so we can start sending your payouts and avoid other account restrictions.

Maybe relevant to this thread: I just made my first ebay purchase in a few years. Why does it show as my very first purchase ever? Even though you can go to my feedback and see that I have made purchases before.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Maybe relevant to this thread: I just made my first ebay purchase in a few years. Why does it show as my very first purchase ever? Even though you can go to my feedback and see that I have made purchases before.
    See orders drop down. It only goes back a couple of years.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Anymore the trg forums seems to be a more advanced site than ebay. So I'm annoyed that ebay wants my ss# to get paid for sales. I don't want to deal with flakes on fb marketplace or craigslist either.
    So anyone use any alternatives that don't ask for your ss#?

What the hell happened to Ebay?

I got minor scammed on eBay recently on a sponsored listing. The price was good so I bought two. When one item showed up in Amazon packaging I contacted the seller and they said I only bought one. Now, the eBay item says only one. It’s a $20 loss so lesson learned. Not worth wrestling with eBay and the seller for $20.

I asked the seller if he was running an honest business he would take my return for refund. Blah blah blah.

Also, it’s next to impossible to actually dm anyone at eBay. The self help menus are a big deterrent.

I rarely sell stuff on ebay but have sold likely 50+ items in the 30 years I have used that site with no issues yet. I mostly buy stuff there and for the most part have had good luck with the exception of a computer likely 25 years ago. I recently purchased new boots there and after I hit the purchase button the seller (ski shop) contacted me to say they could not find the original box for the boots per the listing and there was a small scrape/smudge on a heel (I can barely see it) so would a $100 off be ok to proceed. Fuck ya! There are still good sellers on there IMO, buyers I have no clue.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    I got minor scammed on eBay recently on a sponsored listing. The price was good so I bought two. When one item showed up in Amazon packaging I contacted the seller and they said I only bought one. Now, the eBay item says only one. It’s a $20 loss so lesson learned. Not worth wrestling with eBay and the seller for $20.

I asked the seller if he was running an honest business he would take my return for refund. Blah blah blah.

Also, it’s next to impossible to actually dm anyone at eBay. The self help menus are a big deterrent.
    ebay is so paranoid about selling outside eBay direct messsages are shit, even if you are trying to arrange a local pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    As of Jan 1, 2022, the IRS now requires us to file and send a Form 1099-K to everyone who sells $600 or more.
    Since you’ve made $600 or more in sales this year, we’ll need your full 9-digit Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) to send you your 1099-K.
    Please update your information so we can start sending your payouts and avoid other account restrictions.
    Anybody figure out what this means to the IRS? Seems like if I buy a quiver every year, and sell it at end of season - 5 pairs / $500 each, I'm getting a 1099-K for $2500. That's theoretically $2400 taxable (-$100 in seller fees). However, I paid $1000 each, so it's actually a $2600 loss ($2500 sale - $5000 purchase - $100 fees). How do I file this?

Does this mean everyone needs to track receipts on everything we buy/sell? If I sell my car for $25k, I sure don't want to pay taxes on that. Am I supposed to file it as a loss ($40k new - $25k) ? Do I need to save my invoice forever so I can sell my old car?

Am I cheating if I buy a quiver and don't file a 1099-K on the seller?

Should I sell all my old junk to create a tax loss, rather than trashing it?

I get that the IRS is trying to catch independent contractors and small businesses that have been skating on taxes (or didn't see themselves as a business), but it seems like anyone who sells their old stuff is creating a (false) taxable event and a paperwork burden.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Not an accountant, but logically if you bought for $1k and sold for $500 it looks like a loss for sure. I for one would not worry about reporting the K1 in your example unless your doing other questionable tax stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

The suck part is the 1099 creates a computer trail. If that doesn’t match your reported income, AI taxbots could flag you for a human audit.

Flea bay started as a garage sale. Now they think they are an e-commerce powerhouse.

1. Save your info for 7 years.
    2. To prevent audit I guess you could report the gain with a more than offsetting loss.

3. This gets even more interesting in a cashless cbdc world.

Looks like the IRS has figured out that this is a giant shitshow. I say this because of the special cases, and multiple locations across 1040 schedules where entries and corrections must be made.
    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/form-10...stions-general
    I doubt the IRS ever intended to tax personal sales, but ebay merchants are blurring the line, and it's possible we all get caught up in the attempt to tax them.

Seems like the IRS recognizes this, so there's a reporting exclusion for 2022. In general, you only receive a 1099K when you have more than $20k and more than 200 transactions. My understanding is that reported or not, taxes are generally due, but Imma guess the IRS is going to let this slide for non-merchants until they figure out how to limit the paperwork.

Technically anything over $600 is reportable. And taxes are always due, reported or not. Who knows what they're doing for 2023.

If you're a dirtbag ski bum who files 1040EZ, or not at all, and you make that heli trip to AK, and your buddies Venmo you their shares, there's a chance future you receives a 1099-K, and an April 15 blessing with the full 1040 and its schedules. Although if you do the paperwork correctly, your buddies' payments aren't taxable. However, if you profit from selling those heli seats, it looks like the IRS sees that as income.

Payment on a ski lease share may create a similar tax paperwork headache.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Anybody figure out what this means to the IRS? Seems like if I buy a quiver every year, and sell it at end of season - 5 pairs / $500 each, I'm getting a 1099-K for $2500. That's theoretically $2400 taxable (-$100 in seller fees). However, I paid $1000 each, so it's actually a $2600 loss ($2500 sale - $5000 purchase - $100 fees). How do I file this?
    See the IRS link. Not taxed if you file correctly an offsetting loss as "other income." Losses on personal items cant be claimed.

Does this mean everyone needs to track receipts on everything we buy/sell? If I sell my car for $25k, I sure don't want to pay taxes on that. Am I supposed to file it as a loss ($40k new - $25k) ? Do I need to save my invoice forever so I can sell my old car?
    Yes Though technically you can BS the auditor about the purchase price, so maybe not.

Should I sell all my old junk to create a tax loss, rather than trashing it?
    Losses on personal items can't be claimed. Unsure if they can offset other gains. Probably not.

I find it hard to believe the IRS wants to collect taxes on traditional personal sales, nor do they want to force paperwork on everyone who resells something or organizes a ski trip. My guess is they are struggling to understand and apply the law appropriately.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

1040EZ no longer exists.