Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    So. VT
    Posts
    2,295

    Homemade Hot Sauce Thread?

    I feel like there was a homemade hotsauce thread a while back. I tried the search but couldn't find it. Admittedly I gave up, ain't nobody got time for that....


    Anyone seen it? I have a bunch of hot peppers (Serrano, jalapeno, cayenne and some other LARGE hot pepper) that i need to use up, planning to dry some and maybe make a salsa or sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,965
    There's a few of them, not sure which is best: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...archid=4154149

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    So. VT
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's a few of them, not sure which is best: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...archid=4154149

    Link no worky....

    What search terms did you use?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,965
    just "sauce" but I used advanced search - go to the forum home page, click the search button on the right on the blue bar next to "Forum tools" (not the one at the top), then click "advanced search" enter "sauce" then click "search entire posts" and change it to "search titles only"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    11,603
    dont know if you're on twitter or not but if you are follow a guy @mtnbke he grows all his own peppers including but not limited to ghost peppers and even has done some cross pollination of some strains. he makes hot sauces like crazy fermented and all. He is always willing to answer questions. He knows his stuff.

    Good luck.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westchesta County
    Posts
    934
    Krp, homemade hit sauce is easy. It's just hot peppers and a lil white vinegar. The types of pepper is all dependent on the cook.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    So. VT
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    just "sauce" but I used advanced search - go to the forum home page, click the search button on the right on the blue bar next to "Forum tools" (not the one at the top), then click "advanced search" enter "sauce" then click "search entire posts" and change it to "search titles only"
    Huh, one instance when the TGR search is better then google. Clicking "Titles Only" made it a managable search.

    Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Krp, homemade hit sauce is easy. It's just hot peppers and a lil white vinegar. The types of pepper is all dependent on the cook.

    Yep, further research confirms what I thought, super easy. I have some carrots on hand to potentially add some sweetness. Any thoughts on pickling peppers? I have a bunch of banana peppers too.

    I have some Hot Portugal peppers, the biggest are about 10" long and the smallest 2", All are bright red. I used a few of the small ones that I picked last week and have had in the fridge, not very hot at all. One of them had good flavor up near the stem, I am hoping that the bigger ones have this flavor over the whole pepper. It may have just been their age too, had to make an unexpected trip after picking some last week.

    Not sure when I should pick my serranos, they are still green and firm.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,965
    Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Huh, one instance when the TGR search is better then google. Clicking "Titles Only" made it a managable search.
    Yeah it works well but that search button only works for the forum you're in, so it wouldn't turn up a result anywhere else on the site. But the search button at the top doesn't work worth shit, so there you have it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Westchesta County
    Posts
    934
    Wait for your serranos to turn red. You can use them now if you want, I think they taste better once they're ripe. Habanero add some nice heat. If you're feeling adventurous you can make your own chipotle peppers. You let jalapeños stay on the plant till they turn red. Then smoke them for like an hour, maybe a lil more. Until the skin starts to wrinkle. Throw them in the sauce for a nice smokey flavor. It all depends on what you like. Thai chiles are pretty hot and have a good flavor.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    getting warmer...
    Posts
    402
    +1 for chipotle. ground up that stuff is awesome.

    vinegar is for pussies. ferment the peppers in a salt water brine. thats teh real shit. 1 1/2 Tbs salt per quart of water. Add coarsely chopped (or whole) peppers. Use something to keep the peppers under water. Wait two weeks. Blend the pepper parts with enough of the brine to get the texture where you like. Win.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Video Bargainville
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    vinegar is for pussies. ferment the peppers in a salt water brine. thats teh real shit. 1 1/2 Tbs salt per quart of water. Add coarsely chopped (or whole) peppers. Use something to keep the peppers under water. Wait two weeks. Blend the pepper parts with enough of the brine to get the texture where you like. Win.
    Sounds like a lactic fermentation, like sauerkraut or pickles, right?

    It's a good idea to boil, then cool the brine before using it, just in case. Also, it's a good idea to weigh your salt rather than measure since measuring salt by volume is really inconsistent from brand to brand. When I'm making sauerkraut, I shoot for 2%-3.5% by weight (salt:water), but it looks like (after a few quick googlings) peppers are more susceptible to mold, and may need higher salt concentrations. Then again, you've outlined basically a 2.3% concentration by volume, so maybe that works for peppers, too?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Fort Front Range
    Posts
    1,491
    havent made this, but have done some of his other ferments, which have turned out well.

    http://www.wildfermentation.com/ferm...-pepper-sauce/
    In with the 9.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    197
    Had a lot of hot peppers in the garden this year. Fermented them for the first time - first time fermenting anything. And yesterday after about 3 months, I strained the brine through a cheesecloth, separated the peppers from most of the brine, and pureed the peppers. The puree is way too hot, as it is mainly pepper skin and a lot of seeds (I only cut off the stems before the ferment) so it seems I should probably mix some of the peppers back in with some of the brine to make hot sauce? Or save the brine to splash on things and mix the peppers with some new vinegar? Has anyone done this before that could give me some tips?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vRXEVHHYQpGLrsp%X7J1uw.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	311675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6cfa.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	724.3 KB 
ID:	311676

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The Cone of Uncertainty
    Posts
    47,965
    I dunno but it looks like a fun problem to have.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    4,123
    I would try pineapple or mango and vinegar to mix with it. Maybe tomato paste or pureed toms...

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    2,183
    Tamarind is also a good addition

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,419
    Kill it with tomatillos. Use the brine for what is called table brine.

    at 6:17.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    livin the dream
    Posts
    3,631
    I like to just boil vinegar / salt / sugar mixture - pour into a bottle stuffed with peppers. Vinegar pepper sauce done.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,080
    Good lord, people; don’t you add garlic?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •