Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Homemade Hot Sauce Thread?

I feel like there was a homemade hotsauce thread a while back. I tried the search but couldn't find it. Admittedly I gave up, ain't nobody got time for that....

Anyone seen it? I have a bunch of hot peppers (Serrano, jalapeno, cayenne and some other LARGE hot pepper) that i need to use up, planning to dry some and maybe make a salsa or sauce.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

There's a few of them, not sure which is best: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...archid=4154149

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's a few of them, not sure which is best: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...archid=4154149

Link no worky....

What search terms did you use?
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

just "sauce" but I used advanced search - go to the forum home page, click the search button on the right on the blue bar next to "Forum tools" (not the one at the top), then click "advanced search" enter "sauce" then click "search entire posts" and change it to "search titles only"

dont know if you're on twitter or not but if you are follow a guy @mtnbke he grows all his own peppers including but not limited to ghost peppers and even has done some cross pollination of some strains. he makes hot sauces like crazy fermented and all. He is always willing to answer questions. He knows his stuff.

Good luck.

Krp, homemade hit sauce is easy. It's just hot peppers and a lil white vinegar. The types of pepper is all dependent on the cook.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    just "sauce" but I used advanced search - go to the forum home page, click the search button on the right on the blue bar next to "Forum tools" (not the one at the top), then click "advanced search" enter "sauce" then click "search entire posts" and change it to "search titles only"
    Huh, one instance when the TGR search is better then google. Clicking "Titles Only" made it a managable search.

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Krp, homemade hit sauce is easy. It's just hot peppers and a lil white vinegar. The types of pepper is all dependent on the cook.

Yep, further research confirms what I thought, super easy. I have some carrots on hand to potentially add some sweetness. Any thoughts on pickling peppers? I have a bunch of banana peppers too.

I have some Hot Portugal peppers, the biggest are about 10" long and the smallest 2", All are bright red. I used a few of the small ones that I picked last week and have had in the fridge, not very hot at all. One of them had good flavor up near the stem, I am hoping that the bigger ones have this flavor over the whole pepper. It may have just been their age too, had to make an unexpected trip after picking some last week.

Not sure when I should pick my serranos, they are still green and firm.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Huh, one instance when the TGR search is better then google. Clicking "Titles Only" made it a managable search.
    Yeah it works well but that search button only works for the forum you're in, so it wouldn't turn up a result anywhere else on the site. But the search button at the top doesn't work worth shit, so there you have it.

Wait for your serranos to turn red. You can use them now if you want, I think they taste better once they're ripe. Habanero add some nice heat. If you're feeling adventurous you can make your own chipotle peppers. You let jalapeños stay on the plant till they turn red. Then smoke them for like an hour, maybe a lil more. Until the skin starts to wrinkle. Throw them in the sauce for a nice smokey flavor. It all depends on what you like. Thai chiles are pretty hot and have a good flavor.

+1 for chipotle. ground up that stuff is awesome.

vinegar is for pussies. ferment the peppers in a salt water brine. thats teh real shit. 1 1/2 Tbs salt per quart of water. Add coarsely chopped (or whole) peppers. Use something to keep the peppers under water. Wait two weeks. Blend the pepper parts with enough of the brine to get the texture where you like. Win.

Quote Originally Posted by ate'em View Post
    vinegar is for pussies. ferment the peppers in a salt water brine. thats teh real shit. 1 1/2 Tbs salt per quart of water. Add coarsely chopped (or whole) peppers. Use something to keep the peppers under water. Wait two weeks. Blend the pepper parts with enough of the brine to get the texture where you like. Win.
    Sounds like a lactic fermentation, like sauerkraut or pickles, right?

It's a good idea to boil, then cool the brine before using it, just in case. Also, it's a good idea to weigh your salt rather than measure since measuring salt by volume is really inconsistent from brand to brand. When I'm making sauerkraut, I shoot for 2%-3.5% by weight (salt:water), but it looks like (after a few quick googlings) peppers are more susceptible to mold, and may need higher salt concentrations. Then again, you've outlined basically a 2.3% concentration by volume, so maybe that works for peppers, too?

havent made this, but have done some of his other ferments, which have turned out well.

http://www.wildfermentation.com/ferm...-pepper-sauce/
    In with the 9.

Had a lot of hot peppers in the garden this year. Fermented them for the first time - first time fermenting anything. And yesterday after about 3 months, I strained the brine through a cheesecloth, separated the peppers from most of the brine, and pureed the peppers. The puree is way too hot, as it is mainly pepper skin and a lot of seeds (I only cut off the stems before the ferment) so it seems I should probably mix some of the peppers back in with some of the brine to make hot sauce? Or save the brine to splash on things and mix the peppers with some new vinegar? Has anyone done this before that could give me some tips?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vRXEVHHYQpGLrsp%X7J1uw.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	311675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_6cfa.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	724.3 KB 
ID:	311676

I dunno but it looks like a fun problem to have.

I would try pineapple or mango and vinegar to mix with it. Maybe tomato paste or pureed toms...

Tamarind is also a good addition

Kill it with tomatillos. Use the brine for what is called table brine.

at 6:17.

I like to just boil vinegar / salt / sugar mixture - pour into a bottle stuffed with peppers. Vinegar pepper sauce done.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Good lord, people; don’t you add garlic?

Name:	Image1661144672.379082.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	424416

a few hot sauces going
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    Sounds like a lactic fermentation, like sauerkraut or pickles, right?

It's a good idea to boil, then cool the brine before using it, just in case. Also, it's a good idea to weigh your salt rather than measure since measuring salt by volume is really inconsistent from brand to brand. When I'm making sauerkraut, I shoot for 2%-3.5% by weight (salt:water), but it looks like (after a few quick googlings) peppers are more susceptible to mold, and may need higher salt concentrations. Then again, you've outlined basically a 2.3% concentration by volume, so maybe that works for peppers, too?
    This is close. Easy: 3.5% good, very good salt (I only use: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNGFG2I/), by weight get a mf scale, it's imperative. 1.5 months with an airlock. Easy, donzo. Strain, keep the brine, pulverize to shit, add 1/4 tsp of gum or to desired thickness, it keeps the emulsification. Strain, then bottle, seal, eat, repeat. Any questions, msg me. I've been doing the ferment game for 2 decades. Never had a bad batch of anything. Keep it clean and watch your ratios. Use fresh shit and make sure it is really clean, bottles, fruit, veg, hands, all of it. That is my cheat sheet for all y'all. Keep it clean. That is where I see most people fuck up and try to kill themselves. CLEAN.

Just didn't want to see this thread have bad info. Follow above, and prosper. Again, ask any and all questions. Or search /fermentation on reddit. I've probably answered your question.

Don't boil anything unless you want to can it at the end. We are looking for shelf stable gut goodness, not some consumer crap. You will consume it before it even touches the edge of being bad, unless you are a prepper. Then just can it using basic boiling techniques. Boring.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

packaging some hot sauce this morning

——————————

asian peppers

Name:	Image1661621190.304389.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	424870

Name:	Image1661621172.221885.jpg 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	424869

———————————-

jalapeño & garlic
    serrano & garlic

some to give away

Name:	Image1661621245.635817.jpg 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	424871

Name:	Image1661621306.059814.jpg 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	424874

—————————————

bulk mixed pepper sauce

Name:	Image1661621430.649265.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	424875

————————————-

some beauties from the farmer’s market this morning

Name:	Image1661621279.685076.jpg 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	424872

Name:	Image1661621292.476607.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	424873

————————————

Name:	Image1661629738.216577.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	108.0 KB 
ID:	424898

Enchilada sauce.
    Make a roux of 1/4 cup each of oil and flour. Add 1 cup ground, dry chiles of your choice and saute for a little while. Add 1 qt stock, plus cumin, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and continue to heat until thickens. Add water as needed to thin as it gets used, stored, etc.