Page 25 of 78 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    let the kids pick last wkd and my daughter found some solid reviews for a place called oak wood fire kitchen in draper. good food, will return
    Before we left we went there at least once a month. Pizza good, wings good, fries good. It's a nice little spot run by some nice people.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Tonight, go see The Pranksters at The Hog Wallow!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Wow Cool. I’m heading to kamas for leftover salmon but I also realize the arts fest has hot buttered rum tomorrow.

Senor pollo at 12th and Washington in Ogden. Solid street tacos and al pastor

Ogden, Ogden, that's that town you drive by on the way to sun valley, yes?

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Recently I went to lunch with a coworker. He suggested we go to El Pollo Loco. My first reaction was a whole lot of WTF, but he insisted. I'll be damned if that wasn't some damn good chicken. $6 for a leg and thigh, two healthy sides (some not-so-healthy ones available, too) and a couple corn tortillas is hard to beat. Rare trifecta of tasty/cheap/healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Were you there? I was. Great show!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I've gone to Ginger Street twice now. Before I vacate my downtown work place, I had to try it.

Ordering system is not great, you gotta order before you sit down. So knowing the menu before showing up helps. It's good food, a bit hyped with 'famous' SLC foodies running it, but worthy of date-night or client meals. Crispy duck rolls were great, chicken satay was good, spicy fried chicken sandwich was not spicy but good, Pad-thai was good/great, pork dumplings were average. You are probably going to spend 20-35 for each meal, by ordering 2-3 things of the menu.

And here is a crazy amount of new restaurants opening around SLC in detail: https://www.gastronomicslc.com/2019/...-want-to-miss/

Crazy Chicken is good fast food!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Recently I went to lunch with a coworker. He suggested we go to El Pollo Loco. My first reaction was a whole lot of WTF, but he insisted. I'll be damned if that wasn't some damn good chicken. $6 for a leg and thigh, two healthy sides (some not-so-healthy ones available, too) and a couple corn tortillas is hard to beat. Rare trifecta of tasty/cheap/healthy.

purgatory isn't the greatest place ever, but the beer/cocktail list + prices of food to quality ratio is pretty high, and a nice atmosphere. Been twice this summer, would recommend.

Besides tacos mi carmelo what else are we looking at on the westside for the best tacos? (Inspired by that new netflix taco show + trip to mexcio last week)

Chungas has pretty good Al pastor.

Chungas is past it's prime, it was great like 5 years ago. El morelense is my new favorite for Al pastor. Tried to go there today, but they are closed on Mondays. So I am sitting in rancho markets waiting for some grub. Both are located in the Latino mall on redwood south of 201. Also for west side tacos, El Paisa on 3200w south of 201 is also very good. When buddies from out of town land in SLC, and are hungry, we used to go to red iguana, now we go to El paisa before heading to the east side.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Al pastor torta at rancho markets...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190715_131717.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	288528

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

How does a taco place become 'past its prime'? As in, there are a ton of newer, better places now?

There's a Ranch Market on 3300 S that's pretty good too, not on the west, maybe 900 east.

I'll try El morelense this week, it's not too far from work

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Chungas is past it's prime, it was great like 5 years ago. El morelense is my new favorite for Al pastor. Tried to go there today, but they are closed on Mondays. So I am sitting in rancho markets waiting for some grub. Both are located in the Latino mall on redwood south of 201. Also for west side tacos, El Paisa on 3200w south of 201 is also very good. When buddies from out of town land in SLC, and are hungry, we used to go to red iguana, now we go to El paisa before heading to the east side.

sent from Utah.
    cool, I've got el paisa on the list but haven't been. Dig el morelense for sure. Tacos mi carmelo is better though IMO

That was pretty tasty.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Dodo banana cream pie. Best pie of the year for me. I think about it often.
    Would you say you are head over heels for that pie? Does it flip you upside down with its tastiness?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    How does a taco place become 'past its prime'? As in, there are a ton of newer, better places now?

There's a Ranch Market on 3300 S that's pretty good too, not on the west, maybe 900 east.

I'll try El morelense this week, it's not too far from work
    Quality goes down. I've been disappointed the last two visits to chungas.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    cool, I've got el paisa on the list but haven't been. Dig el morelense for sure. Tacos mi carmelo is better though IMO
    My favorite at El Paisa is the molcajete suprema. Super good. I'll hit up Carmelo pronto loco.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    Dodo banana cream pie. Best pie of the year for me. I think about it often.

Attachment 288522Attachment 288523

Die mobile uploader
    Dinner at Pio’s!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    (Inspired by that new netflix taco show + trip to mexcio last week)
    Damn that 1st episode (al pastor) had me drooling. Headed to CDMX in October and took notes.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Damn that 1st episode (al pastor) had me drooling. Headed to CDMX in October and took notes.
    The street food in Mexico City is soooo good! If you can find a place that makes fresh Huaraches, oh man..... I'm drooling on my keyboard.

we did a taco stand bike tour when in CDMX. I think it was this one: https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/75047. Kinda pricey, but super fun. I'd recommend doing it on a monday when Chapultepec (big central park) is closed except to pedestrians and bikers.

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    The street food in Mexico City is soooo good! If you can find a place that makes fresh Huaraches, oh man..... I'm drooling on my keyboard.

we did a taco stand bike tour when in CDMX. I think it was this one: https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/75047. Kinda pricey, but super fun. I'd recommend doing it on a monday when Chapultepec (big central park) is closed except to pedestrians and bikers.
    That taco tour looks awesome, and we will be there when the Paseo de la Reforma is closed, so thanks for the beta!

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    My favorite at El Paisa is the molcajete suprema. Super good. I'll hit up Carmelo pronto loco.

sent from Utah.
    Just went to El Paisa and had al pastor tacos. Definitely not going there again, it tasted like average over-cooked street tacos but 4x the price. And no taste too! Chewy and hard with no zip tot he taste does not make good al pastor. I was going to go fo the taco bar, but they were out of al pastor, and said they were not making anymore. it was 1pm. So I had to order a plate to get them. That was annoying too. I'd put this at #200 roughly for best tacos in Utah, maybe their fancier menu items are better?

I would have got the molcajete suprema instead but it's 30 bucks and for two, I was solo.

Damn son. Maybe all the good food was at our office. We had El Paisa catered lunch for 50 today and I ate 10 tacos. The Al pastor was good, El morelense is better. But for a big catered office lunch, people were happy!

Yeah, molcajete is a big old plate of food. A lot for 2.

Edit, while this employee looks happy, she also does not look like a discriminating tgr taco eater.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190716_123147.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	288632

sent from Utah.
    sigless.