Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by rwalk View Post
    On the BBQ topic: Anyone been to Kaisers? I have to assume the quality of their meat is inversely proportional to the quality of their website http://saltlakebbq.com/
    Used to live not far from there and always wanted to try it. Heard mixed reviews from friends.

Back to Mahider tonight. So good.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by UTpowder View Post
    Thanks. R&R it is.

Anything there thatís better then other things. Somebody in this thread said brisket want anything special
    I didnít really like the brisket either. I got the pulled chicken once when they were out of pulled pork, and I mostly get that now. Think itís much better than the brisket. In general I think R&R is probably the best in SLC, but it definitely doesnít stand up to the real stuff.

Has anyone here been to 565 Firehouse? Iíve never heard anyone talk about it, but it has good Yelp reviews. Been meaning to try it out.

No, but a friend who lived right there said the wings were great, cheap, and they had $3 big cans of PBR. Might be worth a bike ride to this summer for investigation.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by rwalk View Post
    On the BBQ topic: Anyone been to Kaisers? I have to assume the quality of their meat is inversely proportional to the quality of their website http://saltlakebbq.com/
    Iíve eaten there a couple times. Think of it as if RnR, but more authentic looking with less flavor. RnR is still the winner for me. Rod and Rich (twins that own it-Iím pretty sore thatís their names-are super nice guys too).

Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post

Has anyone here been to 565 Firehouse? Iíve never heard anyone talk about it, but it has good Yelp reviews. Been meaning to try it out.
    used to live a few blocks away. nice summer spot, not bad food but not as good as RnR. much better than Sugarhouse BBQ though imo anyway. weird sides as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFugitive View Post
    Our recent dirty little secret has been Potstickers Plus 1 on 7th east about 92nd south Fkn hole in the wall with good eats and customer service too. Owner has degree in biophysics and was jamming w the wyf on sciencey stuff.
    Checked out Potstickers Plus 1 a few weeks ago. Good place, nice owner and a hole in the wall.

SLC Eats

Delayed report on my nacho acquisition failure. Made multiple efforts during BBI to make it to The Hog Wallow all without success.

Eva - Fried cauliflower was ordered multiple times. Shrimp hominy and the St Patty’s corned beef was spot on.

Slapfish - Surf N Turf Burger. Craving that lobster cheeseburger at the moment.

Taqueria 27 - Duck Confit along with the Steelhead tacos were crushed. Don’t skip the grilled Shrimp Tostada Bites.

Goodwood - nachos suck. Cheap chips and apparently layering the cheese is out of the question. Smoked chicken, Meh. Went for the combo platter of baby back ribs, burnt ends and turkey based on the strong recommendation of the server. None of it was memorable, well except the turkey. Do not get the turkey. Ruth’s Pecan Sweet Potato saved the train wreck.
    Last edited by mooseknuckles; 03-31-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Went to Afghan Kitchen for lunch on Friday. Hadn't been in a while, damn that place is good. Love how seedy it looks on the outside.

Semi-related, what's the deal with Smiths no longer taking visa? Their claim that it's high fees seems fishy since they're still taking Amex.

Mall walker when did you last go to 565 firehouse? It got new owners a couple years ago, and i think it's the best BBQ here by a wide margin. Not impressed by R and R or Kaiser, Pat's burnt ends are delicious but otherwise I'd say 565 is better.

Quote Originally Posted by claymond View Post
    Mall walker when did you last go to 565 firehouse? It got new owners a couple years ago, and i think it's the best BBQ here by a wide margin. Not impressed by R and R or Kaiser, Pat's burnt ends are delicious but otherwise I'd say 565 is better.
    interesting, it was probably almost 4 years since iíve been there, so maybe I gotta give that another go...

I may have said before, but the zucchini blossom burrito at Taco Taco is the absolute bomb. They just added a bunch more interior space as well. Underrated spot I think.

I live a couple blocks from 565, went last a few weeks ago. I dunno if I'd say it's the best in the valley, but it's definitely good. If you were gonna make a top 5 list, I'd put it on there.

Quote Originally Posted by unitofstuff View Post
    I live a couple blocks from 565, went last a few weeks ago. I dunno if I'd say it's the best in the valley, but it's definitely good. If you were gonna make a top 5 list, I'd put it on there.
    Is there more than 5 BBQ places in SLC? Guess I have some to try!

Also, when I go out to BBQ I get brisket, cuz it's the hardest for me to cook myself. So I'm judging off that, and I like a heavy smoke flavor, which 565 has

I like a heavy smoke flavor,

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Went to Afghan Kitchen for lunch on Friday. Hadn't been in a while, damn that place is good. Love how seedy it looks on the outside.
    Been stuck at IMC since weds night with a wife that has pneumonia. I was sick of eating hospital food but didn't want to leave her for long, found Afghan Kitchen on yelp and had grubhub bring it to me. Holy shit it was good! I got the lamb kabuli and garlic naan. All of it was amazing.

On the BBQ topic: Anyone been to Kaisers? I have to assume the quality of their meat is inversely proportional to the quality of their website
    Went there last summer after a friend suggested it. They claim to be "texas bbq" and I love brisket so I went with that. I personally thought it was terrible. Dry, no smoke, no flavor. I think R&R is the best around but I haven't tried 565 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Been stuck at IMC since weds night with a wife that has pneumonia. I was sick of eating hospital food but didn't want to leave her for long, found Afghan Kitchen on yelp and had grubhub bring it to me. Holy shit it was good! I got the lamb kabuli and garlic naan. All of it was amazing.
    Sorry to hear about your wife, that's brutal. You definitely have to go eat there. The whole menu is great and the contrast between the outside appearance and atmosphere inside can't be beat.

Vibes dfinn. Sounds like a tough situation. Hope your wife is ok.

SLC Eats

My wife spent about a month and half at IMC 5 years ago. Got tired of hospital food real quick as well. Ate a lot of fish tacos from Rubios and tried to get a quick walk through Murray park at least once a day. West Coast subs were okay well. Not sure if they are there anymore. At least within walking distance
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Thanks everyone. Maybe Iíll get out for a walk for some rubios or chipotle today. Big Saturday!

In case you know chabaar and find yourself at tea rose diner (same owners) donít assume they have the same heat scale. 2.5 at tea rose was barely edible.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Thanks everyone. Maybe I’ll get out for a walk for some rubios or chipotle today. Big Saturday!

In case you know chabaar and find yourself at tea rose diner (same owners) don’t assume they have the same heat scale. 2.5 at tea rose was barely edible.
    Damn that sucks about the wife, hope she is healed up and you 2 are to your next adventure soon! Tea Rose Diner is HOT, love the food but I get a 1 to 1.5 there and I still have to wipe the sweat off my brow. I concur with DTM you Afghan Kitchen is the bomb! I also love the contract of the inside and outside of that place! I have to disagree with Claymond I would take R&R over 565, but its probably a matter of taste, I thought the brisket was over smoked so take that for what its worth.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

not in slc but ate at The Bird on the road to Antelope Island, pretty damn good chicken tenders if youíre in the area.

Pho Thin in Sugarhouse also was excellent again as always.

Senor pollo on Washington and 12th in Ogden. I mean Utah is small and good Mexican is hard to find
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16

2018/2019 (24/32)

Mango sticky rice is on point at Mano Thai. Kow Soi and a few other dishes are great there. Not as consistently good as a place like Chanon, but a few dishes are strong to quite strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mano_thai_MSR.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	327.6 KB 
ID:	278540

there, next year, i’ll bring the family.
    bF
    Alpental Indigenous