Page 23 of 78 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Went to Afghan Kitchen for lunch on Friday. Hadn't been in a while, damn that place is good. Love how seedy it looks on the outside.
    Been stuck at IMC since weds night with a wife that has pneumonia. I was sick of eating hospital food but didn't want to leave her for long, found Afghan Kitchen on yelp and had grubhub bring it to me. Holy shit it was good! I got the lamb kabuli and garlic naan. All of it was amazing.

On the BBQ topic: Anyone been to Kaisers? I have to assume the quality of their meat is inversely proportional to the quality of their website
    Went there last summer after a friend suggested it. They claim to be "texas bbq" and I love brisket so I went with that. I personally thought it was terrible. Dry, no smoke, no flavor. I think R&R is the best around but I haven't tried 565 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Been stuck at IMC since weds night with a wife that has pneumonia. I was sick of eating hospital food but didn't want to leave her for long, found Afghan Kitchen on yelp and had grubhub bring it to me. Holy shit it was good! I got the lamb kabuli and garlic naan. All of it was amazing.
    Sorry to hear about your wife, that's brutal. You definitely have to go eat there. The whole menu is great and the contrast between the outside appearance and atmosphere inside can't be beat.

Vibes dfinn. Sounds like a tough situation. Hope your wife is ok.

SLC Eats

My wife spent about a month and half at IMC 5 years ago. Got tired of hospital food real quick as well. Ate a lot of fish tacos from Rubios and tried to get a quick walk through Murray park at least once a day. West Coast subs were okay well. Not sure if they are there anymore. At least within walking distance
    I'd rather die while I'm living then live while I'm dead

Thanks everyone. Maybe I’ll get out for a walk for some rubios or chipotle today. Big Saturday!

In case you know chabaar and find yourself at tea rose diner (same owners) don’t assume they have the same heat scale. 2.5 at tea rose was barely edible.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I’ll get out for a walk for some rubios or chipotle today. Big Saturday!

In case you know chabaar and find yourself at tea rose diner (same owners) don’t assume they have the same heat scale. 2.5 at tea rose was barely edible.
    Damn that sucks about the wife, hope she is healed up and you 2 are to your next adventure soon! Tea Rose Diner is HOT, love the food but I get a 1 to 1.5 there and I still have to wipe the sweat off my brow. I concur with DTM you Afghan Kitchen is the bomb! I also love the contract of the inside and outside of that place! I have to disagree with Claymond I would take R&R over 565, but its probably a matter of taste, I thought the brisket was over smoked so take that for what its worth.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

not in slc but ate at The Bird on the road to Antelope Island, pretty damn good chicken tenders if you’re in the area.

Pho Thin in Sugarhouse also was excellent again as always.

Senor pollo on Washington and 12th in Ogden. I mean Utah is small and good Mexican is hard to find
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Went to Afghan Kitchen for lunch on Friday. Hadn't been in a while, damn that place is good. Love how seedy it looks on the outside.
    So good and so seedy looking.

On your guys recs, I went to R+R this week. Completely average, I was disappointed. I had a pulled pork sandwich and mashed potatoes. I was expecting a step or two above Pat's, being the best int he valley. It was a bit worse. Maybe everyone was comparing briskets-to-briskets?

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    On your guys recs, I went to R+R this week. Completely average, I was disappointed. I had a pulled pork sandwich and mashed potatoes. I was expecting a step or two above Pat's, being the best int he valley. It was a bit worse. Maybe everyone was comparing briskets-to-briskets?
    I think brisket is what they're known for. If I'm paying for bbq that's usually what I get, I can make some damn good pulled pork at home for dirt cheap but I rarely cook my own brisket because of how spendy it is if you buy a whole one.

I tried 565 recently. Good but I still think R&R is better.
    Last edited by dfinn; 05-31-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Chile Tepin downtown... overpriced / underwhelming. very greasy. skip this one

I think brisket is what there known for. If I'm paying for bbq that's usually what I get
    yeah same, the brisket is where it's at

Smokin Bones is a little bbq place in Bountiful that I like better than r&r. Only problem is that if you want anything other than their sweet sauce you have to request it and they act like you are stealing their 1st born.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Sicilia Mia in Cottonwood Heights on Bengal Blvd is excellent. Went in for the first time tonight. Walking distance from my house. Totally shocked that the place is run and staffed by actual Italians, last thing I was expecting. Food and service were absolutely excellent. Highly recommended. I rarely pay for Italian food as its easy to cook good stuff. But I'm more than happy to pay for what they're serving. Really hope they do well. That locale has been through so many different restaurants. Great food, huge portions, service was excellent. Chef came out and talked to every table. Can't recommend highly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    They are opening one close by me at 15th/15th in the old Paris Bistro spot. I really enjoyed Paris, and rarely go out for Italian, but have heard nothing but great things about the food and the family behind Sicilia Mia. Psyched to give it a try.

I’m not sure if me or anyone else has mentioned O’falafal in Sugarhouse, but that’s maybe my favorite quick Middle East spot.
    I can’t remember the name of the taco truck parked at TF Brewing, but those were the best tacos I’ve had in SLC. Barrio on 9th South is ok for my taco fix but not mind blowing. Nice patio.

Breakfast sandwiches at Caputos on 15th east are fucking awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

El morelense for your Al pastor cravings. Best I've had anywhere. In the Latino mall on redwood, south of 201.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    El morelense for your Al pastor cravings. Best I've had anywhere. In the Latino mall on redwood, south of 201.

sent from Utah.
    this is one great thing ive found since moving. There is an incredible Mexican place in my new town. Very close, very authentic. The Al Pastor are out of this world. I dont even care if they have anything else on the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    this is one great thing ive found since moving. There is an incredible Mexican place in my new town. Very close, very authentic. The Al Pastor are out of this world. I dont even care if they have anything else on the menu.
    This. A great al pastor pretty much beats all.

Just had Morelense again today. Damn it's good!
    sigless.

Randomly walked into that Gandolfo's place downtown the other week and had a sandwich. Pretty good, but then I was just in NY last week and had some "real" sandwiches. Gonna take a few more weeks to allow myself to forget about the great $4.50 bodega sandwiches I had before being ok with paying $10 for something half as good.

Want a legit sandwich, go to Groves Market on main street in Salt Lake. Bit south of down town. Gandolfo's gets none of my money.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Want a legit sandwich, go to Groves Market on main street in Salt Lake. Bit south of down town. Gandolfo's gets none of my money.
    yeah Grove is the bomb. killer hot sauce selection also

Yup!

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

I'll throw up a third for Grove's. You will not leave that place hungry.

Good to hear, Groves will be close to a new-to-me workplace soon. And I tried Afghan Kitchen on Dan's? recco awhile ago, v good! Thanks.