Page 69 of 78 FirstFirst ... 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1948

Thread: SLC Eats

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Is TableTwentyFive any good or just over sauced and overpriced American?
    Solid meh. As ZZZ states, as a whole Ogden has very mediocre food. Never been 'wowed' by anything in the six years I've lived here. The best they can muster is marginal pub food (Rooster's B Street, Angry Goat, UTOG) pizza (Slackwater) and ok but overpriced sushi (Tona). Otherwise just a few small hole in the wall places (Rosa's, El Pollo Rico, maybe couple of others), the omnipresent Beto's, and chain restaurants.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    Is TableTwentyFive any good or just over sauced and overpriced American?

Again, I agree with MarsB. Solid meh. The last time I went I had a fried chicken sandwich, which was decent, but nothing special. My wife had the beef stroganoff, which was supposedly "their specialty," and it was....not stroganoff, strangely sauce free. The appetizers were the best part of the meal.

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Solid meh. As ZZZ states, as a whole Ogden has very mediocre food. Never been 'wowed' by anything in the six years I've lived here. The best they can muster is marginal pub food (Rooster's B Street, Angry Goat, UTOG) pizza (Slackwater) and ok but overpriced sushi (Tona). Otherwise just a few small hole in the wall places (Rosa's, El Pollo Rico, maybe couple of others), the omnipresent Beto's, and chain restaurants.
    Is Rosa's still open? That was a bright spot but they seem to be closed all the time. I heard the father died.

You nailed it with marginal pub food.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Again, I agree with MarsB. Solid meh. The last time I went I had a fried chicken sandwich, which was decent, but nothing special. My wife had the beef stroganoff, which was supposedly "their specialty," and it was....not stroganoff, strangely sauce free. The appetizers were the best part of the meal.
    edited to say: not over sauced, but under sauced! And it's weird, supposedly the owners were heavily involved in the Copper Onion in SLC for a long time. They literally had the recipe, what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Is Rosa's still open? That was a bright spot but they seem to be closed all the time. I heard the father died.
    He passed from COVID, the family closed the place down for a bit but reopened about 6 months ago. Their hours were a bit erratic at first, but seems like they are back in the swing of things now.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Who’s got the good game meats on the menu up in Park City?

Elk, duck, trout, the usual…
    I still call it The Jake.

Firewood has a lot of that. Pricey but I liked it for our anniversary. Everything is cooked in a wood fired oven.

Frankie & Essls has good breakfast sandwiches, near Liberty park. They are 10-12 bucks which is expensive, but they have high quality ingredients and are heavy/filling. The la babrba drip coffee for only $2.50 is nice.

Just picked that up for my girlfriends birthday breakfast. Quite good. Caputos is only $9 for a sandwich so not much more. Worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by frosted flakes View Post
    Firewood has a lot of that. Pricey but I liked it for our anniversary. Everything is cooked in a wood fired oven.
    But do they use artesanal firewood? Cause if not, GTFO.

https://youtu.be/TBb9O-aW4zI
    sigless.

Anyone done the food that beehive distilling does? Heading to commonwealth room tonight and attempting to get off the "go to grid city before every commonwealth show" train we've been on for like 2 years.

^^^food was pretty good. Would definitely recommend it if you want a place with elevated cocktails and decent food. Mexican flavored sliders and really good french fries.

House cocktails are $10, and quite good. Seems cheaper than other fancier cocktail bars around town.

Went to Rubi's for Peruvian with my cousin tonight. Pretty darn good, but not mind-blowing. Solid 7.5. The waitresses were cute, and put up with me chatting them up about Perú in Spanish, so that was fun.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Has anyone been to Casot wine bar on 15th East?

Other than there, BTG, and Cucina, is anyone aware of other good, wine-focused places in SLC?

I live spitting distance from there, but haven't been in yet. Friends went in early on in their opening and they were out of more of the affordable options and got upsold to some expensive options and felt a little scammed, it's definitely hopping most thursday-Sat evenings!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

tgapp and I went awhile back, I thought it was expensive and the service wasn’t great. They had sekt Riesling btg, that was cool.

On the not bar front, Zaanti has some fun wines. You’re not going to have a serious tasting there but they usually have a few bottles open if you’re looking to try something new. Arlo had a good btg list when we were there in the fall. I’ve been happily surprised by some of the btg at 9&9 Pago as well.

If you’re just looking to learn about wine, the manager at the 3rd west store knows his stuff and can point you in the right directions

ETA, there is also something new called Happy Wine Club. They are putting on parties at bars with a supposedly curated dj and natural wine list. That isn’t quite my scene but is definitely a hip thing we were seeing back east. If you’re low intervention curious that could be a fun night and a good place to try a few different wines.
    Last edited by ghosthop; 03-13-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks for the info. Disappointing - the setting/vibe of Casot seems good but maybe bullet dodged for a date. I'll go to check it out myself though.

I've just been to BTG once and didn't think it was a very good experience. Not very attentive waitress - just felt like a random bar/restaurant. Any tips on where to sit/what to ask for there?

Also, thanks for the tip on the 3rd west store. Will go talk to him/her. Any name?

Finally, I've been following and loving @wasatchwinegirl on instagram. I guess she runs a wine school/club/tasting in PC, but she does a monthly series with three picks from the DABS stores and provides the product codes so you can find it yourself.

One of the things I miss most about where I lived last was the wine store experience of being able to get a good rec, learn about wine, do a tasting, etc.

Went to Pho Salt Lake for the first time last night, some of the best food I have had in Utah! My partner doesn't like trying new places because more often than not they are a miss but glad we did yesterday.

Does anyone have recs for a good breakfast burrito in Millcreek/Holladay/Cottonwood Heights? I have tried several and haven't found anything decent yet. Please don't say Beaumont.

Hey SLC mags, long time no see. I'm gonna be in town toward the end of april for a weekend (sadly without skis) and was wondering if there are any new date-type / romantic spots that are worth visiting. I've got my list of favorites from when I lived in town, but lots has changed in my life and I'm sure in the city as well...

Is Eva still there? Copper Onion? Takashi? Anything in the downtown area and/or any pretty or scenic spot that's sprang up in the last year and a half or so?

I like Cucina

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I went to Cucina in the foothills yesterday with some friends (I think upon recommendation of this thread) and it was fantastic. Possibly my new favorite restaurant in SLC.

All of the menu items were really intriguing with creative combinations of ingredients. Everything cooked well, presented well, tasted good. Atmosphere and ambiance was great - darker dining room but balanced with modern decor and a casual, intimate setting backstopped by the deli. Service good, really liked our waiter who was happy to explain exactly what was on the plate (+ going beyond just what the menu said).

Good options for vegetarians. The "Lion's Mane Under a Brick" combined three preparations of mushrooms into a dish - creamy mushroom puree, sweet shiitake mushrooms poached in sake, and the seared/roasted lion's mane. Complemented well by a chili oil.

Pricy for Salt Lake but good for it. Three of us shared two appetizers and three entrees + two glasses of wine and came out to 170 all-in. I was way happier paying for that than when I went to Table X. If Cucina did a similar scope tasting menu it'd be a much better overall experience and probably come out to $80/person without alcohol (vs 100 at Table X).

the liquor laws here make having a good BTG wine bar a joke

We've been to casot and it's good and service was fine, but it's gonna be like $18 for a glass of wine that comes from a bottle that's $40 at the liquor store but should be $20. Disappointing, but it's not the wine bar's fault.

Perhaps I was just spoiled by the amazing wine bars in SD. Affordable and great selections, and knowledgeable staff.

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    Hey SLC mags, long time no see. I'm gonna be in town toward the end of april for a weekend (sadly without skis) and was wondering if there are any new date-type / romantic spots that are worth visiting. I've got my list of favorites from when I lived in town, but lots has changed in my life and I'm sure in the city as well...

Is Eva still there? Copper Onion? Takashi? Anything in the downtown area and/or any pretty or scenic spot that's sprang up in the last year and a half or so?
    Urban Hill is getting a ton of press recently. We haven't been but I'm sure it's fire. All 3 you mentioned are still around.

Had an enjoyable meal at Sicilia Mia a few weeks ago. Would keep it in mind for cozy date night if Italian is your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone been to Tandoor Indian Grill in Holladay? Other Indian recs? I like Kohinoor if you're ever in Orem and Saffron Valley.

Makam's, Ghurkas, Mumbai house, Saffron Valley, Kathmandu.