Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1159

Thread: SLC Eats

  1. #1101
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    57
    I went to the new Roctaco on Edison for lunch today: nothing amazing in my opinion, but still interesting.
    I got:
    - Al Pastor on corn: too much corn poblano and pineapple mango salsa to get a feel if the al pastor was decent.
    - K-Pop on flour: kind of cool and i liked the overall flavor. weak short rib.
    - Amy Hates Fish on flour: okay fish (not a lot though), and a good sauce on top.

    Mediocre meats so far with too much extra to hide it. I did like the scratch tortillas they had. I'd eat lunch here, but only because it's a 1/2 block from my place.

    Still give it a try, though. Some people might like this which I wouldn't strongly disagree with.

    Menu again: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLer3V6ByEi/

  2. #1102
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    13,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiktaalik View Post
    I went to the new Roctaco on Edison for lunch today: nothing amazing in my opinion, but still interesting.
    I got:
    - Al Pastor on corn: too much corn poblano and pineapple mango salsa to get a feel if the al pastor was decent.
    - K-Pop on flour: kind of cool and i liked the overall flavor. weak short rib.
    - Amy Hates Fish on flour: okay fish (not a lot though), and a good sauce on top.

    Mediocre meats so far with too much extra to hide it. I did like the scratch tortillas they had. I'd eat lunch here, but only because it's a 1/2 block from my place.

    Still give it a try, though. Some people might like this which I wouldn't strongly disagree with.

    Menu again: https://www.instagram.com/p/CLer3V6ByEi/
    Sad to hear about an al pastor that isn't mostly meat.
    The Mexican choices are one thing I miss about slc. I do have one great spot, but it's just one, the other local choices (that many rave about) suck ass. Funny too cause it's mostly farmland and in summers migrant workers, but I guess the work so hard they aren't eating out.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  3. #1103
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,439
    satch_bagger, my pick for an outdoor "bar" is TF brewing on 9th s, 3(?) w. tons of outdoor seating and some firepits. they have a full bar if beer isn't your thing.

    if you are taking someone on a date and want nice cocktails water witch as like 2 outside tables, which is perfect to avoid people completely besides your waiter. eat at nohm or laziz from there.

    9th and 9th east liberty taphouse has a nice patio and overpriced drinks.

    downtown core there's a couple bars that have patios on their roofs or whatever, but not sure A. if they're open and B. what they're like..I don't do downtown proper very much.

  4. #1104
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    satch_bagger, my pick for an outdoor "bar" is TF brewing on 9th s, 3(?) w. tons of outdoor seating and some firepits. they have a full bar if beer isn't your thing.

    if you are taking someone on a date and want nice cocktails water witch as like 2 outside tables, which is perfect to avoid people completely besides your waiter. eat at nohm or laziz from there.

    9th and 9th east liberty taphouse has a nice patio and overpriced drinks.

    downtown core there's a couple bars that have patios on their roofs or whatever, but not sure A. if they're open and B. what they're like..I don't do downtown proper very much.
    Thanks!

  5. #1105
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    OOTAH
    Posts
    2,899
    Cucina in the Avenues has very solid patio dining, a great menu and an extensive wine list (and some tasty beers if wine isnt your thing). Plus my buddy Dean is the owner and is as solid of a guy as they come. Not sure how much of the patio is open yet, but worth checking out.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

  6. #1106
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,439
    FTR i don't know if the restaurants are serving outside right now so maybe call ahead...probably goes for anywhere if you 100% plan on eating outside

  7. #1107
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,788
    two fantastic reccs from last week -

    1. Meet Fresh - Chinatown, state street (3400ish south). Absolutely amazing Taiwanese style desserts - one thing that makes Taiwanese desserts different is that they are often served hot and they combine traditionally savory flavors with sweet flavors; a good example is red bean soup (yes, that's a dessert). Really delicious. Their shaved ice bowls, while expensive, are just amazing. Mind blowing. Best dessert I've had in SLC - it's like the dessert equivalent of a buddha bowl, with an amazing combination of various puddings, jellies, ice creams, shaved ice, sweetened milk, almond paste, and taro desserts bites.
    2. Morty's Cafe. Not nearly as pretentious, but a serious contender for best fries in SLC. Great burgers too. Tons of vegetarian options (3 different patties - tofu, portabello, or beyond meat). Can't upload pictures now but I will later.

  8. #1108
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,788
    Kimchi burger/Philly cheese steak burger and fries from Morty's

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  9. #1109
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,439
    prettybird sugarhouse is open now. and has chicken tenders

  10. #1110
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,724

    SLC Eats

    TENDIES

    i am on my way

    eta:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8523.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	367502


    legitty two titty
    Last edited by mall walker; 03-15-2021 at 02:02 PM.

  11. #1111
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,439
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    TENDIES

    i am on my way

    eta:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8523.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	367502


    legitty two titty
    YUM

  12. #1112
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    two fantastic reccs from last week -

    1. Meet Fresh - Chinatown, state street (3400ish south). Absolutely amazing Taiwanese style desserts - one thing that makes Taiwanese desserts different is that they are often served hot and they combine traditionally savory flavors with sweet flavors; a good example is red bean soup (yes, that's a dessert). Really delicious. Their shaved ice bowls, while expensive, are just amazing. Mind blowing. Best dessert I've had in SLC - it's like the dessert equivalent of a buddha bowl, with an amazing combination of various puddings, jellies, ice creams, shaved ice, sweetened milk, almond paste, and taro desserts bites.
    2. Morty's Cafe. Not nearly as pretentious, but a serious contender for best fries in SLC. Great burgers too. Tons of vegetarian options (3 different patties - tofu, portabello, or beyond meat). Can't upload pictures now but I will later.
    Thanks for the recs. Will give them a try.

  13. #1113
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    quick search for Pho Tai resulting with many old threads. Any recommendations?

  14. #1114
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,788
    idk how mall walker beat me to this, but these tendies are legit. their new honey sauce is amazing, too.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  15. #1115
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    SLC, Utah
    Posts
    1,788
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    quick search for Pho Tai resulting with many old threads. Any recommendations?
    Pho Cali is the place you want

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

  16. #1116
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    5,724
    haha. they still remember me at PB from my days of 2x/week

  17. #1117
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,527
    I want some pb tendies yo!

    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  18. #1118
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    8530' MST/200' EST
    Posts
    3,147
    Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Pho Cali is the place you want

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
    Where are you located? Or just best in town?
    Pho Cali, Asia Palace 1 or 2, Pho Tay Ho, Little Saigon, all good. Cali has been talked about a lot as best in the valley, need to revisit this.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

  19. #1119
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    13,185
    Pho 33

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

    I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

  20. #1120
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Pho 33

    Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the Pho suggestions. I had been going to Pho Saigon Noodle House 2 at 49th and State. They have a pretty big menu. In the past, I usually get the Banh Cuon Thit Nuong as appetizer, and some kind of noodle soup.

    switching gears...how about gyro and baklava? All my past local favorites since have closed up shop. I can search on yelp et al, but it's more interesting to hear the opinions here. Planning for places to go eat when this C-19 more more under control.

  21. #1121
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    191
    Street Tacos? Back in the days, my go to truck as at the Sears parking lot (State and 8th?). Last year+ before the Covid, I went to all three of them there, plus another one farther south. All were not so good to me.

    Any recommendations for truck tacos from recent experiences?

  22. #1122
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    6,616
    Any of the Pho places have a good Bun Cha?

  23. #1123
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    In the shadow of the wasatch
    Posts
    3,887
    Quote Originally Posted by CG_#3 View Post
    Street Tacos? Back in the days, my go to truck as at the Sears parking lot (State and 8th?). Last year+ before the Covid, I went to all three of them there, plus another one farther south. All were not so good to me.

    Any recommendations for truck tacos from recent experiences?
    Tacos Don Rafa FTW still in the same old sears lot on the corner of 8th and state...


    Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

    Have you seen a one armed man around here?

  24. #1124
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,439
    My fav taco truck is the one in the sportman's warehouse parking lot on 7200 S near I 15

  25. #1125
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    13,578
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Any of the Pho places have a good Bun Cha?
    Saigon Sandwich sometimes has it as one of their rotating weekend specials. Keep an eye on their social mediaz. It's good, though I haven't tried other places to compare. Speaking of Saigon weekend specials, the Mi Quang is a must-try, especially if eating in. It's still good as takeout but definitely best fresh from the kitchen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •